Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   WOW!! so much has changed (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=192724)

aduranfan 2013-09-23 09:51

WOW!! so much has changed

Hello to all
I have been out of the loop for two years now after an accident.I have had to learn to use my left hand again and still have neck problems.
Lucky for me my son has kept my reason studio up to date with latest version etc.
Now my question.
I need some new studio monitors as there are many new models on the market.
Which budget monitors sound best with the ssl mixer, where should I invest my money.. ??
I produce pop and some down beat chill and use a lot of pads, strings etc .
Thanks

Oh and these rack extensions are cool .
Would anybody in the know tell me if extensions for juno 6 , jupitor 8, obx or perhaps a a crumar performer on the way or in devoloment pls.

Benedict 2013-09-23 10:12

Welcome back.

I know something about back and neck things :(

Good son you have there ;)

I have briefly heard some of the larger Yamaha units (like oversize NS-10s) and they are very, very clear but still sweet enough to listen to. It's a very crowded market now.

I haven't heard of any similar emulations but kHs ONE, while being very simple and technically limited up against Thor has a rather nice, and lively sound for classic analogs and even modern Trance stuff. I just made a pile of patches for a community ReFill and enjoyed it a lot. Very tempted. I have Antidote and while it is nice enough I just don't get great use from it, not really sure why. Other synth RE's haven't excited me enough (not tried PX-7). Of course others will say otherwise so let the you don't know synths, you have cloth ears commence... Now

:)

mcatalao 2013-09-23 11:58

First, hope you get better and welcome back!

If you like old synths and are into FM, you should get PX7 also. I just got it and i'm crazy with it's sound quality and usability. I didn't have the DX7, nothing similar actually but this is a sweet sound synth.

There might be some refils for Juno and Jubiter. Think there is one for oberheim and Waldorf!

As for the monitors, i can only tell you wich i have. I own a Adam A7 pair, and i have an HI-FI system (B&W DM602 and a Nad Amp). I use both to cross reference.

ryszard 2013-09-23 13:10

In addition to the genres in which you work, it would be useful to have an idea of your budget and space available. If you only have some desk space and $200 that will get you one set of answers. If you have a proper control room and $1,000 or more things change. Of course, you're probably somewhere in between.

For my part, I have a pair of Behringer B2031A TRUTH 8-3/4" bi-amped two-way monitors on a pair of 40" speaker stands on each side of my studio desk coupled with a JBL 10" subwoofer. The mains have a hard low cut at 50 Hz; the JBL takes me down to 30 Hz or so when I need it.

The Behrys have enough power to literally blow my hair back, but I rarely use them above conversational levels. They used to be sold as matched pairs, but they are calibrated to be flat within +/- 1 dB in their rated frequency range. Street price is $229 each. (There was a pair for sale on this forum recently for $350. I have seen used pairs for less in local stores.) (All prices are USD.)

If you have the space and need the power, it's hard to beat these in their price range. But as was said above, it's a crowded market. You're going to get a lot of good answers. Your only problem will be selecting those which best meet your needs. Just be sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Edited to add: If you are into pads and strings, two Refills which bear a close look are
(1) The Bitword Wavefront Refill, which I have had for a year and have hardly scratched the surface of its 4.5 Gb of sonic goodness, and
(2) The Bitley Fairlight Platinum Refill (fifth down on Bitley's home page), which I just got and haven't even loaded yet. Read the reviews and you'll see why. Both retail for $119 USD. If you could only have one, I'd say go for the Bitley.

Ambientdave 2013-09-23 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by aduranfan (Post 1393648)
Hello to all
I have been out of the loop for two years now after an accident.I have had to learn to use my left hand again and still have neck problems.
Lucky for me my son has kept my reason studio up to date with latest version etc.
Now my question.
Which budget monitors sound best with the ssl mixer, where should I invest my money.. ??
I produce pop and some down beat chill and use a lot of pads, strings etc .
Thanks

Oh and these rack extensions are cool .
Would anybody in the know tell me if extensions for juno 6 , jupitor 8, obx or perhaps a a crumar performer on the way or in devoloment pls.

Welcome back
And wish you a speedy recoveryhttps://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...cons/icon7.gif

EricBom 2013-09-23 20:22

Welcome back! But first:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aduranfan (Post 1393648)

Why?

Are they broken?

The reason to buy new monitors just because there are new models on the market sounds wrong i.m.h.o.

Just buy Rack Extensions instead if you want to spend the money.

gwynebiau 2013-09-23 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricBom (Post 1393916)
Why?

Are they broken?

The reason to buy new monitors just because there are new models on the market sounds wrong i.m.h.o.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too...there are plenty of good monitors that are much more than a few years old, so unless there's something wrong with them or they were never good enough for you to begin with, I'm not sure I see the need to get newer ones.

aduranfan 2013-09-24 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwynebiau (Post 1393945)
Yeah, I was wondering about that too...there are plenty of good monitors that are much more than a few years older, so unless there's something wrong with them or they were never good enough for you to begin with, I'm not sure I see the need to get newer ones.

The reason I wish go get a new pair monitors
1. I currently own a pair of Fostex pm4, s Its pretty hard to get my low ends tight enough.
I think you guys understand where i am coming from on that issue a 4"inch cone/cabinate monitoring system is not great.
2. I am moving the studio into a new slightly larger area .its not a great size and the shape is square so some issues with reflections going to have to be adressed.
3.An SSL mixer... come on guys!! I gotta take full advantage.

I am not a reason power user my skills are very average..thats why I am asking you the reaon proffessionals.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply guys.
Your help is very much appreciated.

Benedict 2013-09-24 09:58

Don't make the mistake of dismissing a 4" speaker as they are pretty representative of the best most people listen to and can really help you with getting tight bass and punchy mixes as you can't rely on being "flattered" with a big speaker.

Yamaha NS-10 were (and still are) valued for that very reason. No low bass so if a mix pumped on them it would rock anywhere. The other studio staple of the time were the Auratone sound cubes ("horrortones") and they are back too.

:)

Tobb 2013-09-25 10:14

I bought a pair of Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors recently, i think they sounds quite nice.
Not dropping any of the frequencys or flattering either, pretty even in the whole range.
They didnt cost a fortune either.

I had a pair of Samson 5" before .... one 5" speaker just broke and i didnt find any replacments parts.
So i replaced them with the HS 8´s, they are playing just gr8 in the lower registry too.