Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does anyone here own the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=192853)

alternating.bit 2013-09-26 12:03

Does anyone here own the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20?

I used to own the ever-popular 2i2 version, but since I've upgraded to the 18i20, I tend to have all kinds of sound card issues in Windows 7. I have to manually disengage either my regular soundcard playback or vice versa depending on what software I'm using, and sometimes things just get glitchy. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this.

jgenshino 2013-09-26 21:52

did you upgrade the driver when you upgraded the interface? i have the 8i6 and i have no problems with different programs sharing the driver and interface. is your PC a home-built? what is your standard sound card, is it PCIe? what other programs are giving you trouble?

alternating.bit 2013-09-27 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgenshino (Post 1395167)
did you upgrade the driver when you upgraded the interface? i have the 8i6 and i have no problems with different programs sharing the driver and interface. is your PC a home-built? what is your standard sound card, is it PCIe? what other programs are giving you trouble?

I did all of the latest drivers directly from the website.
My PC is home built, and I believe the card is PCIe.
It has issues with Avid Media Composer, regular Windows things like video clip playback (VLC media), yet oddly it's random.
I'm currently getting a constant clicking sound in Reason.

bornsticky 2013-09-28 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by alternating.bit (Post 1394946)
I used to own the ever-popular 2i2 version, but since I've upgraded to the 18i20, I tend to have all kinds of sound card issues in Windows 7. I have to manually disengage either my regular soundcard playback or vice versa depending on what software I'm using, and sometimes things just get glitchy. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this.

hmmm i have the 18i6. i completely uninstalled my mb sound card so the focusrite is my only card. its my reason computer though so might not be a good solution in your case

alternating.bit 2013-09-28 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by bornsticky (Post 1395592)
hmmm i have the 18i6. i completely uninstalled my mb sound card so the focusrite is my only card. its my reason computer though so might not be a good solution in your case

You make a valid point, one which I've been starting to suspect I may need to try. Indeed I use my PC for too many different things; music, video editing, and gaming. But who really has separate PCs for each thing anyway?

I have a laptop, but like most it is really best for just web stuff and on the go.

I think I'll not only try disabling my main card but physically removing it and see how things adapt.

Thanks

ETalk 2013-09-29 09:30

The inbuilt sound card sounds like a good candidate to me. Try going into device drivers and disabling the non important drivers to see what's causing it. I disabled one of my network drivers that was creating loads of latency, never had any probs since. Also are your graphics driver and Bios upto date?

Hope this helps

alternating.bit 2013-09-29 16:17

Actually, I was wrong... I have an on board (built in) soundcard, which I KNOW is a bad thing because I remember many years ago when I bought a better soundcard how it was almost impossible to tell Windows to "remove' the card as everytime you reboot it finds it again... that's the case here. I just removed it via device manager and after a reboot, "High Definition Audio Device" found/drivers installed again (NVIDIA).

I'll have to research if there's a way to truly drop that...
thanks for the help so far, they've been good suggestions!

EnochLight 2013-09-29 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by alternating.bit (Post 1396073)
Actually, I was wrong... I have an on board (built in) soundcard, which I KNOW is a bad thing because I remember many years ago when I bought a better soundcard how it was almost impossible to tell Windows to "remove' the card as everytime you reboot it finds it again... that's the case here. I just removed it via device manager and after a reboot, "High Definition Audio Device" found/drivers installed again (NVIDIA).

I'll have to research if there's a way to truly drop that...
thanks for the help so far, they've been good suggestions!

You disable your onboard sound in your motherboard BIOS. That will remove it as an available device and no longer auto-install it.

alternating.bit 2013-09-29 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnochLight (Post 1396111)
You disable your onboard sound in your motherboard BIOS. That will remove it as an available device and no longer auto-install it.

Thanks - yeah, I actually found that online... I'm still hearing some odd crackling still, which is what I meant by "glitchy" earlier in the thread. As soon as I play some audio (like an iTunes music file) there is some fast-paced crackling sound happening.

This is so frustrating since I can't really return this Focusrite unit and it cost $500.

Yes, it works in Reason, but even when playing stuff back in Reason I get this crackling sound.

Interestingly Reason gives me these choices for Audio card driver:

ASIO Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver
DX Primary Sound Driver
DX Line Out (Scarlett 18i20 USB)
MME Line Out (Scarlett 18i20 USB)

They all crackle.

Koshdukai 2013-09-29 20:27

I just "Disable" the audio interfaces/cards I don't want to use on the Sound Playback list window and Windows 7 ignores them.

Also, turn on the Show Disabled and Disconnected devices, to make it easier to re-enable them when/if needed.