Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tempo Trouble. Any Quick Fix? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=193556)

PropellerheadUser 2013-10-11 08:24

Hardware Liquidation Regrets?

Hey Propheads,

After having Reason installed just under a month, and being thoroughly impressed with its feature set and audio fidelity, I began getting rid of hardware -- namely a 24 channel 8-buss mixing console. I'm just wondering if any others here did something similarly drastic -- then seriously regretted having parted with key music production hardware months later? Anybody?

Smedberg 2013-10-11 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by PropellerheadUser (Post 1400585)
Hey Propheads,

After having Reason installed just under a month, and being thoroughly impressed with its feature set and audio fidelity, I began getting rid of hardware -- namely a 24 channel 8-buss mixing console. I'm just wondering if any others here did something similarly drastic -- then seriously regretted having parted with key music production hardware months later? Anybody?

I have sold off every hardware but my Yamaha XS8 that I use as a controller.

Have no interest in hardware at all, no regrets.

Not counting mics, guitars etc.

PropellerheadUser 2013-10-11 09:18

Well, that speaks volumes, regarding the flexibility and quality you've realized in the Reason platform, then. Thanks. That's good encouragement.

PropellerheadUser 2013-10-11 09:21

Well it's been a couple weeks since ditching the Mackie 24*8, but I'm finding out I'm in need of replacing my M-Audio 2626 Firewire interface for a USB based unit.

Now I'm eyeing Propellerhead Balance, but honestly, I wish companies would just hurry up and launch some really nice, yet cost-effective USB 3.0 audio interfaces already...

PropellerheadUser 2013-10-11 16:20

Still have a slew of hardware devices to unload, and sadly, I've waited to long to get a fair price for these Akai DR4d harddisk recorders (I even have Midi and SMPTE cards installed in the master unit. What a great-sounding pair of devices these historic pieces now are). Wish someone had a strong desire for a pair...

drsanch 2013-10-11 16:36

All I kept is my MIDI controller (keyboard), and my Korg PadKontrol (easier to groove with than using just a MIDI controller).

I don't see the need for anything more than that (the more money I don't spend impulsively, the better) :)

PropellerheadUser 2013-10-18 02:07

Oh, Wait!

Thanks for your insights, drsanch and others -- really appreciate it.

It appears I should've purchased Propellerheads Recycle, then imported my original song file into that. Then, I would've enjoyed greater flexibility in further development within Reason.

Now, I'm wondering if it's possible to purchase a used license of Recycle ...
;-)

Nymphomation 2013-10-18 15:26

Can't you just audio stretch your files within reason to the right tempo? YOu don;t need Recycle, Reason has audio quantising built in.

* I kept one analogue synth, and one digital; I love the sounds on them and haven;t found any rack instruments that do the same job.

jengstrom 2013-10-18 16:03

ReCycle won't help much for that. It's more for slicing audio recordings into parts, for creating manipulable loops, and things like remixing. Reason 7 also has a type of slicing built into the sequencer, including creation of REX files.

Import audio only detects tempo on files that have tempo embedded specifically.

The best solution would have been what you mentioned, to re-import the original at the correct tempo before you recorded the other tracks.

You could try the two tools that do it numerically or by hand, the Scale Tempo tool in the Tool Window, and Scale Tempo dragging (which supports scaling multiple clips by the same amount), but I'm not sure how easy it is to get the precision you want with that.

The old more complicated way is to disable stretch on the clips, then modify the tempo, then bounce clips to new recordings with stretch enabled.

sh73888 2013-10-18 19:03

That sounds like a clusterfuck, i wish i could help man.