Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why you did or did NOT upgrade to Reason 7 from Reason 6.5? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=194448)

bamim2 2013-10-27 12:55

Why you did or did NOT upgrade to Reason 7 from Reason 6.5?

I'm a long time Reason user/owner. I started with Reason 3 & have gotten every upgrade since. Besides Reason 7 just being cool, would somebody lay out some good, straight forward reasons (no pun intended....) why I should spend $130US for an upgrade to R7, when I'm using R6.5 please?

I'm basically looking for an excuse to buy R7. I'd really like to see some REAL user info from people already using R7 & why THEY upgraded or people using R6.5 & why THEY didn't.

THANKS for taking the time to help.

gwynebiau 2013-10-27 14:11

Reason 7 isn't an upgrade I would consider mandatory for everyone, but for the many people who have been asking for features like busses, easier parallel processing, the ability to create REX loops directly within Reason, audio quantize, MIDI Out to control hardware or other software instruments or any of the other user requested features implemented in Reason 7, it's an easy buy. :)

Plus if you like Audiomatic, there's more than a third of the total upgrade price right there since it's included.

My personal reasons for upgrading (other than keeping up with the latest version which I've done pretty consistently since 1.0) we're mostly busses, easier parallel processing and audio quantize, but Audiomatic's nice and I've used the other features too and I'm glad to have them. If any if the features seem useful to you then I'd definitely pick it up. It's more than worth the upgrade price in my opinion. :)

joeyluck 2013-10-27 14:53

I felt this version had more to offer than any other version in the past. Before, we mostly just got new devices and stuff seemed to simply get moved around (while other things on the backend were improved that weren't always to our knowledge).

tumar 2013-10-27 15:16

Mac Os 10.6 incompatibility - this is the only reason here. I plan to upgrade, but I got to change Mac first.. which is much more expensive than 120 euro :P

bamim2 2013-10-27 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumar (Post 1408048)
Mac Os 10.6 incompatibility - this is the only reason here. I plan to upgrade, but I got to change Mac first.. which is much more expensive than 120 euro :P

WOW, thank you! I totally missed that one. That's absolutely a requirement for me too, since that's what I'm running on my Mac & I'm not planning on changing my OS. I'm VERY glad I posted this question now. Not that the other info isn't helpful too. That one is a deal breaker.

AndrewVF 2013-10-27 16:34

I did not upgrade because I upgrade a few weeks before the free upgrade for 7 when getting 6.5.

I will be upgrading because:
+ Make your own Rex in the sequencer
+ Spectrum EQ

phasys 2013-10-27 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamim2 (Post 1407987)
I'm a long time Reason user/owner. I started with Reason 3 & have gotten every upgrade since. Besides Reason 7 just being cool, would somebody lay out some good, straight forward reasons (no pun intended....) why I should spend $130US for an upgrade to R7, when I'm using R6.5 please?

I'm basically looking for an excuse to buy R7. I'd really like to see some REAL user info from people already using R7 & why THEY upgraded or people using R6.5 & why THEY didn't.

THANKS for taking the time to help.

I really like the spectral vision and EQ, and also the Bus Routing is great, saves a hell of a lot of work.

The auto-slicing is ok but not what I expected from it (other DAW's have way better slicing options and have had those for YEARS already).

moneykube 2013-10-27 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumar (Post 1408048)

Same here...
and now the question... new macs come with Maverick...will 7 work with the new os...?

TresReFill 2013-10-27 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by moneykube (Post 1408127)
Same here...
and now the question... new macs come with Maverick...will 7 work with the new os...?

PH have said on the Facebook that Reason 7 works fine with the Mavericks but they'll investigate further, like maybe they would find any bugs n stuff!

For the time being all cool!

moneykube 2013-10-27 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TresReFill (Post 1408146)
PH have said on the Facebook that Reason 7 works fine with the Mavericks but they'll investigate further, like maybe they would find any bugs n stuff!

For the time being all cool!

good news... I need a new mac and went "Oh shit"... the OS has changed again.... usually that means problems of some sort or another... if not with reason... problems with other apps ... Now I will wait a little longer and see what happens.