Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   external midi synth will not record in reason 7 (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=194641)

yourmother 2013-10-30 10:12

external midi synth will not record in reason 7

so, made the jump to seven, I was expecting seamless midi/vst support but....here I am. so, after I downloaded the second party loopmidi program and got NI massive and the Arturia Moog going, I naturally wanted to record them.

first I tried connecting the audio track using my knowledge of reason. It didn't work, then I tried watching some tutorials which confirmed what I already know. so here's what's happening:

I can record any synth in the reason rack, or any audio through my scarlet 2i4. but, for some reason when I choose the scarlett inputs for my external synths I get nothing. I tried my old 2i2, and got the same results.

I've narrowed this down to two possible causes

A.I'm forgetting something embarrassingly basic
B.external synths and reason have to use seperate audio drivers(one asio4all the other scarlett usb)

can anyone help me? I'm running W7 64 bit.

tonalaxis 2013-10-30 10:52

Hasn't the Scarlett got an audio loop back function in its mixer software?

QVprod 2013-10-30 16:27

1. Never expect seemless support and ease of use for something a company hasn't advertised itself. Using the EMI to control VST is a hack and not the actual intended use for midi out.

2. Your Scarlett interfaces do not have a loop back function so you cannot record your external synths through them. You would have to use a program like Jack, to virtually route audio to Reason

yourmother 2013-10-30 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by QVprod (Post 1409879)
1. Never expect seemless support and ease of use for something a company hasn't advertised itself. Using the EMI to control VST is a hack and not the actual intended use for midi out.

2. Your Scarlett interfaces do not have a loop back function so you cannot record your external synths through them. You would have to use a program like Jack, to virtually route audio to Reason

I'm not going to get angry.

soo, can you recommend an interface with a loop back function? and if & when I get one will it be plug & play, or a headache?

mcatalao 2013-10-30 18:58

Most RME stuff has audio loopback (actually the internal matrix will allow several applications to use the same ASIO Driver).

I have the Raydat myself BUT, it does not have analog inputs.

Check their smaller interfaces, like the fireface 400 or the babyface, and be sure to check if the have routing and multi-client capabilities.

Meanwhile you can check VSTHost (http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm) since it will "encapsulate" multiple VST's in one only software, and it can record their sound. You can then import that audio into reason again, and apply any processing you wish to the imported tracks. It's not a perfect solution but it will get you going while you don't get a new interface.

QVprod 2013-10-30 20:07

I've never used a loopback function as I use rewire when I want to use external vsts (still think it's the best - although least popular on this forum - option overall imho) so I can't compare one to another, but I think almost any 4 or more input interface that has it's own mix control software should do the job. (requires installation for the mix software so no plug and play) These Focusrite interfaces have it.

If you're computer savvy jack audio is a free option.

yourmother 2013-10-30 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by QVprod (Post 1410004)
I've never used a loopback function as I use rewire when I want to use external vsts (still think it's the best - although least popular on this forum - option overall imho) so I can't compare one to another, but I think almost any 4 or more input interface that has it's own mix control software should do the job. (requires installation for the mix software so no plug and play) These Focusrite interfaces have it.

If you're computer savvy jack audio is a free option.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be using rewire. I guess I'll try jack audio, and if it's not up to par I'll just spring for the 8i6.

thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.