Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Overlapping samples (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=195483)

ta1yn 2013-11-13 17:38

Overlapping samples

Can anyone help me?
I am trying to create a hardstyle drum loop but i want the sample of the kick im using to cut off at the start of the next sound but when i start the next sound, the sound carries over and ruins the next sample.
How can i get it so the sound cuts off as the next sample starts?

BrianHunt2013 2013-11-13 23:43

Overlapping Samples

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta1yn (Post 1416519)
Can anyone help me?
I am trying to create a hardstyle drum loop but i want the sample of the kick im using to cut off at the start of the next sound but when i start the next sound, the sound carries over and ruins the next sample.
How can i get it so the sound cuts off as the next sample starts?

If you are using reason you can turn the polyphony down to one so it "chokes" the sample and cuts it off.

ta1yn 2013-11-14 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianHunt2013 (Post 1416623)
If you are using reason you can turn the polyphony down to one so it "chokes" the sample and cuts it off.

Im using the ReDrum to make the loop. What is polyphony? (even though i have been using Reason for quite a while now, i still don't know that much about it)

phasys 2013-11-14 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta1yn (Post 1416851)
Im using the ReDrum to make the loop. What is polyphony? (even though i have been using Reason for quite a while now, i still don't know that much about it)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=polyphony

selig 2013-11-14 18:02

Quote:

The only slots that can do this in ReDrum are 8-9 via the "Channel 8-9 Exclusive" button in the lower left hand corner. The typical use of this feature is to have open hi hat and closed hi hat samples 'exclusive' so they cut each other off like it happens with real hi hats.

It's not common to do this with other samples, for example it's not common to need to cut the kick when the snare hits or any other combination. That being said, you CAN do this with NN-XT and a bit of careful programming. Do this by putting all "exclusive" samples into the same group and activate the Group Mono button for that group. Details are found in the User Guide. :-)

sh73888 2013-11-15 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1416941)
The only slots that can do this in ReDrum are 8-9 via the "Channel 8-9 Exclusive" button in the lower left hand corner. The typical use of this feature is to have open hi hat and closed hi hat samples 'exclusive' so they cut each other off like it happens with real hi hats.

It's not common to do this with other samples, for example it's not common to need to cut the kick when the snare hits or any other combination. That being said, you CAN do this with NN-XT and a bit of careful programming. Do this by putting all "exclusive" samples into the same group and activate the Group Mono button for that group. Details are found in the User Guide. :-)

Good tip although that sounds like a bear of a process.. for sake of simplicity (and learning about this sweet program finally!), wouldnt he be better off attacking this challenge in audio format - via slicing and arranging the kick audio specifically to his taste and arranging in the sequencer manually, rather than with the auto-redrum paste to track option?

selig 2013-11-15 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh73888 (Post 1417465)
Good tip although that sounds like a bear of a process.. for sake of simplicity (and learning about this sweet program finally!), wouldnt he be better off attacking this challenge in audio format - via slicing and arranging the kick audio specifically to his taste and arranging in the sequencer manually, rather than with the auto-redrum paste to track option?

Bear of a process? It probably requires hitting one button: Group Mono. Or you can simply set the entire instrument's polyphony to 1 (mono).

Unless you have already created some separate groups, all your samples will already be in one group..

Of course any similar solution will require a monophonic setting, which means you can't play more than one drum at a time. So maybe your suggestion for audio clips will give the most control (but requires the most work - always a tradeoff!). :-)

jhenshaw4 2013-11-15 22:50

you can also just do it in kong and set them to the same drum group. ezpz.

this also allows you to play whatever other sounds you want at the same time.

ta1yn 2013-11-18 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh73888 (Post 1417465)

i actually just tried that and it sound a heck of alot better although now im challenged with a way of trying to pitch the kick and making it sound good.

veezay 2013-11-18 14:00

Quote:

Im using the ReDrum to make the loop.

You could switch the decay/gate mode on the Redrum's kick channel to 1 (square icon), which means it'll play the sample for the length of the midi note. (If you've used Redrum's own step sequencer, copy the pattern to a track and disable Redrum's pattern section.) Now you can adjust the kick length to your liking.