Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Outputting reason from a mac to a mixer in stereo... (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=53180)

Slickie 2002-08-19 21:54

Outputting reason from a mac to a mixer in stereo...

Please only people who care to offer helpful suggestions reply. I am trying to run a reason song out of my mac (which has the stock sound card it came with - its a newer G4- so I guess its a sound manager card) I have my mixer in the reason song set up so bass is panned hard right, piano panned hard left etc. I wish to run out of my mac with an 1/8" stereo cord that splits into 2 stereo 1/8" cords. I have a 1/4" stereo connector on these and they go into channel 1 and 2 (pan L and R) of a mackie mixer. But yet it contiues to come into the mixer in mono. I dont know alot about sound cards and am starting to think that sound manager is a mono card. Ive tried everything and cant get it to feed into the mixer in stereo.

Anyone have any suggestions. Do I need to buy another sound card? What about the iMic. That has stereo outs right? Can I out my mac into the iMic and then stereo out of that to the mixer. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have my backing tracks done and want to stick them onto adat tape and start laying down guitars.

Thanks all

yobink 2002-08-19 22:02

Re: Outputting reason from a mac to a mixer in stereo...

It's not the sound card. I do this all the time. Check your cable setup to make sure you're going mini stereo plug to split 1/4" mono jacks.

To verify the stereo out, plug in headphones and listen to your mix. If you hear L/R as mixed, then it's your cord setup. If you don't hear it that way, then check your mix and your audio settings in Reason.

good luck...

amitopia 2002-08-19 22:16

:Please only people who care to offer helpful suggestions reply. I am trying to run a reason song out of my mac (which has the stock sound card it came with - its a newer G4- so I guess its a sound manager card) I have my mixer in the reason song set up so bass is panned hard right, piano panned hard left etc. I wish to run out of my mac with an 1/8" stereo cord that splits into 2 stereo 1/8" cords. I have a 1/4" stereo connector on these and they go into channel 1 and 2 (pan L and R) of a mackie mixer. But yet it contiues to come into the mixer in mono. I dont know alot about sound cards and am starting to think that sound manager is a mono card. Ive tried everything and cant get it to feed into the mixer in stereo.

---
Hi Slickie,

The Macs don't have a "sound card" per se, so there is no "sound manager" card. In any case, you don't need to buy a sound card, because the built-in sound output is stereo. As for your problem, if you're hard panning in Reason, why don't you take the Left & Right outs and put them into seperate channels in the Mackie? Then you could treat them as seperate sources, which it sounds like you're trying to do. What model of Mackie mixer are you using? Also, I'm assuming you know how to tell a stereo cords, adapters, and jacks apart...but if you have any questions about it, maybe you're using the wrong cord?

Best of Luck, ell

swpowe 2002-08-19 23:02

Go to radioshack and buy a 1/8'' to RCA L&R and 2 RCA to 1/4'' adapters and plug straight into your mackie channels. Works great

Slickie 2002-08-19 23:54

Alright!!! thanks for the help guys I appreciate it! N/T

:Go to radioshack and buy a 1/8'' to RCA L&R and 2 RCA to 1/4'' adapters and plug straight into your mackie channels. Works great