Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ideas on making Reason Fully hands on (No Mouse) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=54146)

DjDarkside 2002-09-25 22:15

ideas on making Reason Fully hands on (No Mouse)

I just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas on turning Reason into a completely hands on application, using midi controllers. Something to play the melodies on (a keyboard) and something to automate all the knobs and faders (mixer Controller). Just share your ideas or even ur set up if you already have gone this way. Thanks,

Darkside

fisherKing 2002-09-25 22:19

2 much time on your hands...make some music! ;-) n/t

DjDarkside 2002-09-25 22:52

Its called Having a job.....aka (family business)

See... I hate people like you man. Im here sitting at work mon.-fri. 9am-6pm. While im here i aint got shit to do. So what do i do? I research and ask questions and try to meet people and get answers. Whats wrong with that? Whats wrong with not having shit to do when ur at work? Im sorry im not you. Im trying to learn but people like you keep shutting me down. But its coo. i didnt ask for "your" help or your opinion man. Its an opinionated topic to be discussed on. i didnt ask for you to tell me i have too much time on my hands i already know that. Thanks to my boaring job. Too bad i cant quit my job. Too long of a story to tell. Youd need too much time on ur hands. No offense man. Just get a little frustrated when peeps like u do that. Sorry if i did offend you.

Darkside

johna 2002-09-25 23:21

Re: Its called Having a job.....aka (family business)

enough with the "peep", "coo", "man", and the endless barrage of questions that could be better answered by yourself if you bothered to do a little research.

you know for a fact that there are many controllers that will work with Reason ... that answers your question right there. pick one you like and buy it. as far as I know, there isn't a solution for 'total' control over reason, like there is for cubase or logic (I may be wrong). if you don't like using a mouse/kb, buy some real hardware for a more hands-on approach.

you should ask your dad for some work to keep you occupied during the day. i'm sure he wouldn't be too happy to find you do nothing but post all day while collecting a paycheque.

:See... I hate people like you man. Im here sitting at work mon.-fri. 9am-6pm. While im here i aint got shit to do. So what do i do? I research and ask questions and try to meet people and get answers. Whats wrong with that? Whats wrong with not having shit to do when ur at work? Im sorry im not you. Im trying to learn but people like you keep shutting me down. But its coo. i didnt ask for "your" help or your opinion man. Its an opinionated topic to be discussed on. i didnt ask for you to tell me i have too much time on my hands i already know that. Thanks to my boaring job. Too bad i cant quit my job. Too long of a story to tell. Youd need too much time on ur hands. No offense man. Just get a little frustrated when peeps like u do that. Sorry if i did offend you.
:
:Darkside

fisherKing 2002-09-26 00:09

easy, darkside, just kidding around! PEACE! n/t

kmcguire 2002-09-26 02:36

Lets get back on topic - I want to know more too

::::I just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas on turning Reason into a completely hands on application, using midi controllers. Something to play the melodies on (a keyboard) and something to automate all the knobs and faders (mixer Controller). Just share your ideas or even ur set up if you already have gone this way. Thanks,
:
:Darkside

Hey, I want to know how to do better at this as well!

From the start I found Reason to be extremely mouse intensive and after many many years as a software developer I've accumulated the usual set of RSI problems which I must be careful to guard against. Out of the box I basically can't use Reason for long.

This topic also concerns accessibility, since mouse only products are not accessible for people with motor skill impairement (among others). There are design issues with Reason which make it non-accessible, and I will try to list these at another time and send them to the good guys at Propellerhead in the hope that it can be improved.

Since that doesn't help today, I've purchased the following and have achieved some degree of success:

Midiman Oxygen8 (previously purchased)
Evolution UC-16 (purchased for Reason)
(http://www.evolution.co.uk)
Contour Shuttle Pro (purchased for Reason)
(http://www.contouravs.com/cav_shuttlepro_info.html)

The Shuttle Pro is neat because it has a jog/shuttle dial/ring, so you can use it to automate the transport controls in the sequencer. It also has 13 buttons you can program for things like FF, REW, Play, etc. The only problem is that I haven't figured out how to get a small granularity movements for the jog - the best I can do is equivalent to the FF/REW buttons which skips like a whole bar or so. Perhaps someone out there has a suggestion, but I saw no other keyboard shortcuts that would help. But even with that course level of control I've found it reduces my mouse use considerably when repeatedly auditioning and tweeking in the sequencer.

The UC-16, having 16 knobs, is pretty good for programming the Subtractor since the pre-programmed Reason bank allows control over both filter/resonance sliders, the amp env, and the filter env (and a few others). I have found it superior to the Oxygen8 for this task, both because it has twice the number of knobs, and because it has the bank switching which I don't believe Oxygen8 has.

The UC-16 has pre-programmed banks for other Reason devices but I haven't tried them yet.

One problem with all these is that when you first associate your controller with a device, the position of the knobs doesn't correspond with that of the actual device values and you must carefully manually calibrate your controller's knobs to be the same value prior to using each one.

I am interested in more sophisticated solutions like the Mackie Control/Baby HUI or other DAWs that will assume the positional value of the Reason device's control (I take my hobbies seriously! : ). However, I have not seen any that work with Reason, and I don't know whether the end user can program them to do so since you must be able to read the current Reason controller midi value. Also, I suspect the same transport control problems with programming the Shuttle Pro.

amitopia 2002-09-26 04:29

Re: Lets get back on topic - I want to know more too

:I am interested in more sophisticated solutions like the Mackie Control/Baby HUI or other DAWs that will assume the positional value of the Reason device's control (I take my hobbies seriously! : ). However, I have not seen any that work with Reason, and I don't know whether the end user can program them to do so since you must be able to read the current Reason controller midi value.
====
Yes, that would be great. I'd like that too. Unfortnately, Reason does not send out any status information, as far as I know. I think it'd be fantastic if that was added to future versions. But, I think the prop's have their hands full with feature requests, bug fixes, and OS upgrade versions. I'm interested in getting a UC-16. What OS do you use it with?

ell

DJAltEgo 2002-09-26 05:05

mwwrrrooow! (hisssss) :) NT

kmcguire 2002-09-26 07:39

Re: Lets get back on topic - I want to know more too

:Yes, that would be great. I'd like that too. Unfortnately, Reason does not send out any status information, as far as I know. I think it'd be fantastic if that was added to future versions. But, I think the prop's have their hands full with feature requests, bug fixes, and OS upgrade versions. I'm interested in getting a UC-16. What OS do you use it with?
:
:ell

For sure they do a great job, but it *would* be awesome :)

I use Win XP, without any problems.

albertfox 2002-09-26 08:53

alternate control - MIDIMAN

:I saw this thing at NAMM in Jan. that was basically shaped like a hand and you could glide your fingers over it to make fader moves, etc... not sure the name, but MIDIMAN makes it.

I use the US 428 @ work to mix, and as a transport, etc. I have a setup .rns file for it if anyone wants - it has 4 banks programmed (32 channels), with the pans, mutes, solos, volume, etc at the twist of a knob.

problem is I am so conditioned to the mouse that I just grab it and start to work, forgetting that my 428 is there.

OS 9, blah blah...