Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Death of Techno: is the age upon us? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=54508)

EnochLight 2002-10-12 21:21

The Death of Techno: is the age upon us?

http://www.nympheas.org/pictures/reason2.jpg
...or has it always been?

I couldn't help but post this. Being left without my computers after my robbery has left me with much time to read the forums and think. I've read a lot about people's interest on this board, and I think we've got a pretty good mix of eclectic tastes floating around. Reading the post by DJ Techno Moron (hehehe) has given me something to point out:

Techno is dead, my friends. If it aint dead yet, it's on its way out.

How did I arrive to this conclusion? Simple. Anybody here who is old enough can remember the barrage of TV and radio commercials that were prevelant throughout the past decades. But if you can't, do some research and try and find some. My case in point is the music that permiates the soundtracks of TV and radio commercials at any given point in time. Advertising industries concentrate on whatever is popular and edgy to attract new comsumers. Many times, the music that they are pushing can be several years old compared to its popularity "underground" (read: club culture).

Anybody remember Moby's sale of "Play" to advertising execs? Most of us may have heard of Fatboy Slim or even Moby from their earlier underground days (I'm no huge fan of either), when the only way you could hear them was to go to a club or get lucky and hear about them from word of mouth or on a radio station willing to play them at God aweful hours. But the world was introduced to them by TV commercials.

So maybe the title of this post should have been: commercials have caused the death of techno. Heh.

At any rate, take a listen to any commercial from the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's, etc - much of the music is laughable. Completely dated.

Techno is no different. I hear it when I turn on the radio and the TV - it's all around us. The defining moment was Ford Motor Co's advertising campaign for the Focus - they actually used Detroit techno to sell it - the final dagger in techno's aching chest.

So what does this all mean?

Nothing. Just felt like babbling.

;-)

Matti 2002-10-12 22:39

It's outlived Robert Kirk...

Bah.

"I can't appreciate trees any more, their commercial value is too high."

Or some similar simile. :-)

So don't worry, music will continue to mutate and prosper, but I do think that the label "Techno" is on the way out as a meaningful genre description.
It has become to general.

DJKS 2002-10-12 23:03

Re: The Death of Techno: is the age upon us?

:You Make a valid point! punk was always an anarchistic anti-establishment expression thru music. Now the Clash is selling Jaguars with London Calling.
Whats next budwiesser selling Beer with Dead Kennedys "To Drunk to F#@k"? Drink responsibly? Nothing is truely dead until "The Pagan Life Network"(MTV) exploits it. Artists true to their cause always find a way to adapt and blast thru the mainstream expectations. I cite Niel Diamond and Maddana. No matter what else happens in the entire world they can produce music for the masses and sell 10's of millions of copys even with bad reviews. The fans always love it. i may be a techno moron, but I know how to make all kinds of music. Techno interests me because its so percussive, not mainstream and most giging Dj's have assloads of it blasting thru their sets. i want to be a gigging Dj that plays his own stuff and not some corporate crap designed for mass consumption. As far as I can see most people on this board are of the same mind set: to have a carreer in music that is self satisfying. My question is, with all the other kinds of music there is to offer, why the huge attraction to Techno? I find it fun to create but a bore/snore to listen to...hehehe!

DJKS

Sakabeat 2002-10-12 23:36

Computer golden age...

gran'pa used to say jazz is dead !!!

Mumy used to say Rock & roll is dead !!!

I used to say punk is dead !!!

You said Techno is dead !!!!

But the show must go on !!!!

and now we all have the most powerfull instrument ever made....
the sound of tomorow is just there......Waiting for you.....

Something i hope is true: Disco is dead !!! ))

thral 2002-10-13 04:10

yay! *kicks it's corpse* n/t

:...or has it always been?
:
:I couldn't help but post this. Being left without my computers after my robbery has left me with much time to read the forums and think. I've read a lot about people's interest on this board, and I think we've got a pretty good mix of eclectic tastes floating around. Reading the post by DJ Techno Moron (hehehe) has given me something to point out:
:
:Techno is dead, my friends. If it aint dead yet, it's on its way out.
:
:How did I arrive to this conclusion? Simple. Anybody here who is old enough can remember the barrage of TV and radio commercials that were prevelant throughout the past decades. But if you can't, do some research and try and find some. My case in point is the music that permiates the soundtracks of TV and radio commercials at any given point in time. Advertising industries concentrate on whatever is popular and edgy to attract new comsumers. Many times, the music that they are pushing can be several years old compared to its popularity "underground" (read: club culture).
:
:Anybody remember Moby's sale of "Play" to advertising execs? Most of us may have heard of Fatboy Slim or even Moby from their earlier underground days (I'm no huge fan of either), when the only way you could hear them was to go to a club or get lucky and hear about them from word of mouth or on a radio station willing to play them at God aweful hours. But the world was introduced to them by TV commercials.
:
:So maybe the title of this post should have been: commercials have caused the death of techno. Heh.
:
:At any rate, take a listen to any commercial from the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's, etc - much of the music is laughable. Completely dated.
:
:Techno is no different. I hear it when I turn on the radio and the TV - it's all around us. The defining moment was Ford Motor Co's advertising campaign for the Focus - they actually used Detroit techno to sell it - the final dagger in techno's aching chest.
:
:So what does this all mean?
:
:Nothing. Just felt like babbling.
:
:;-)

Bleeetz 2002-10-13 04:18

Re: the death of techno

::You couldn't be more wrong my friend.

When music is in commercials, that means that is widely accepted as being recognized. If you recognize a sound or artist, you'll pay attention to the product. (as you obviously have)

Just as disco was used to sell products in the late 70's and metal riffs were in the backgrounds of commercials in the 80's, techno is very much alive and kicking in commercials of the late 90s and into the 21st century.

For example, when you go to stadiums and they play stuff to get the crowd going, what do they play? "Anthem techno" (Sandstorm, et.al)

Techno is not dead. Most of the songs just have short shelf lives because of the repetitive nature of techno.

And although it isn't dead, to really bring techno alive, I feel that someone needs to make songs of great depth, therefore making the re-play value that much greater.

Techno is dance music, pure and simple. Most people like dancing with someone else. There are alot of lonely people out there who listen to music for comfort, not to dance. Therefore techno will NEVER be greatly grasped, although it is damn catchy and therefore ideal for commercials =)

lexio 2002-10-13 06:23

Re: the death of techno

:::You couldn't be more wrong my friend.
:
YOU'RE all wrong...blah, blah, blah...stop following stigmas and stereotypes. Get rid of the "talk to da hand" crap. Toss rolling stone magazines out to the recycle bin. It is rag.

Do you what luv...luv what you do!

If the music is right...it is timeless. F*ck dat trendsetting suck up bullcrap of dis ain't all dat, and dat ain't all dis...don't let it suck you in. Be U. Be ALL. Let it rip.

Be Real.

ontheone 2002-10-13 08:56

Be Real???

:Be Real.

Compared to what?

jwax 2002-10-13 10:05

Compared to fake...

and Lord knows there's a WHOLE lot of fake going around these days....

Fake.... breasts, watches, gold, sunglasses, diamonds, and worst of all, fake PEOPLE...

You know the ones I'm talking about.

Come on Barbie let's go party.....

Jwax

cindyr 2002-10-13 10:12

back to the underground..

Real techno will always mutate and evolve like life..
Every forms of music come in/go out like seasons..
Music is always changing forms like life..
The only thing in life that is constant is change.
Maybe techno is not at its most popular or commerical state as it was 5 years ago, but it is back where it sits best..The Underground..
If you do not like it no because it is "not as in" as another style..
than you should have not been into it anyway.So be in it for the heart and be strong ..or goodbye..