Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   need to translate Reason midi output into musical notation (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=54525)

studioj 2002-10-13 18:10

need to translate Reason midi output into musical notation

Is there a program that will translate the output from Reason into musical notation for studio musicians to read?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Joseph

dbudde 2002-10-13 18:26

Re: need to translate Reason midi output into musical notati

Most notation programs (e.g., Igor Engraver, Sibelius, Finale, etc) can read midi files. Some sequencers have also good notation (e.g., Logic).

chiisu 2002-10-13 21:58

If you're on a PC, I would recommend Cakewalk's Home Studio 2002. It can import midi files and display musical notation, and it isn't too expensive, esp. if you're just looking for something to work with midi only...

= chiisu

albertfox 2002-10-14 05:16

use rewire with Cubase

import a midi file or checka shareware music site.

Semashiah 2004-05-27 18:32

You can import MIDI using Melody Assistant or Harmony Assistant from www.myriad-online.com. I'm impressed with the functionality. The web site has 103 animated tutorials if you have trouble.

I use Harmony connected to Reason via MIDI for live playback of my compositions using standard music notation.

--Harmony to Reason MIDI setup for Mac 10.2 and above--
(Windows users can substitute "IAC Bus" with the "virtual MIDI port" drivers available. Much thanks to Dave Bellingham's book "Logic Audio Workshop" from which this text is based on. If there's anything I've missed or poorly explained, feel free to point it out)

1. Set up Mac OS X IAC Driver:

Run Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI setup.
Select "MIDI Devices".
Double click on "IAC Driver".
Select "Device is online"
Select "More information"
Select "Ports".
Add one or many ports. Reason can support four IAC buses / MIDI ports but Harmony Assistant supports three*.

2. Setup Reason:

Select Reason/preferences
Go to "Advanced MIDI"
For Bus A select "IAC Driver IAC bus 1"
For Bus B select "IAC Driver IAC bus 2"
For Bus C select "IAC Driver IAC bus 3"
For MIDI clock "Sync select IAC Driver IAC bus 1"

Setup your Reason rack or load a file.
On the MIDI IN device at the top of the rack, bus select A should be set to "IAC Driver IAC Bus 1", B to Bus2, C to Bus 3
On the MIDI IN device, click on the channel selections to match devices on your rack to the MIDI channels you will setup in Harmony. Can be modified later.
On the main control bar at bottom enable MIDI sync, MIDI focus.

3. Setup Harmony Assistant (may also be identical setups for Melody Assistant):

On the menu select Configuration - MIDI Configuration.

For MIDI Output 1 select IAC Bus 1, for MIDI Output 2 select IAC Bus 2 and so on...
For each instrument to send to a MIDI channel, use the "Edit Intruments" function to change the instrument output from "Digital" to the proper MIDI port and edit the MIDI channel number.

Note that your MIDI port settings are not saved but the previous channel setting used is.

If you're outputting some instruments from Harmony, you may have to adjust the Configuration - Digital Output Buffer Size to the minumim. For some reason, the MIDI plays faster. I don't know why it works this way. Configuring the MIDI output delay does nothing.

-A.M.

jupebox 2005-01-07 22:42

How does Harmony Assistant compare to other programs like Finale?

Thanks!
Cymbolic

Semashiah 2005-01-17 04:55

How does Harmony Assistant compare to other programs like Finale?
:
:Thanks!

I've never used Finale but here's what I've used harmony Assistant for.
-Printing professional looking sheet music for various instruments.
-Hearing my compositions with vocals sung by the computer.
-Drum patterns

The user Interface is nice with real time note highlighting during playback which I send to Reason via MIDI.

It does not have a plug-in system but it only costs $70(US$) and updates are forever free after purchase.

For more details visit:
http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm