Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   reborn?rebirth? should propellerhead make products for linux (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=55268)

kpinto01 2002-11-13 20:17

reborn?rebirth? should propellerhead make products for linux

i have recently read about someone who wrote a program quite close to rebirth named reborn. it runs on linux. i would love a program that i can run on linux like your products. i would be happy to pay cash for such a program.
You see a have a hatred for macs and a hatred for microsoft. but i do not have a hatred for the nice Propellerhead people. I have used reason and rebirth at my friends house and enjoyed it. i wish i could have it ....BUT I WILL NOT SWITCH TO WIN! or mac .. MY question is if you can make it for OSx why not linux? I know this is a forum so i do not expect an answer, i thought i would just pop up the question.

danny_f 2002-11-13 22:17

why? there'd be no market for it ...

http://www.danfarmer.ca/logoweb.gif
Most linux users don't like paying for anything, so why would the props develop for it, when
the amount of linux users interested in Reason ( that also would be willing to pay for it ) would be very small.

And what do you mean you "Hate" mac's and pc's? Sounds to me like you have some kind of emotional issue. If you love the software but won't use it because of the computer OS? that just sounds weird man.

I hope you can work that out.

DJ Protoculture

kpinto01 2002-11-13 22:29

Re: why? there'd be no market for it ...

most?
you could be wrong, for the circle i tend to "hang" with would all switch to linux if they could get progz they need..yes it is an emotional issue..hate is right i will not use those operating systems and there is an estimated 10% usage for linux in the comming years so i would think others agree with me. i hate mac and win the same way a gear head hates chevy or ford. im sorry you think that is bad.

i will not work that out . thank you for your misguided attempt at psychology but unfortunatly you are just looking for a battle. go somewhere else for that cause.

danny_f 2002-11-13 22:42

no battle, just commen sense

I just thought it was strange that you say you hate Win and Mac ( love Reason ). But refuse to use it because of the platform.

As an artist I just find it an odd thing for someone to say. Because for myself, I love making music enough that I'd use a program like Reason no matter the platform, because I loved to make music.

The platform is irregardless. Why is it such a big issue for you? The GUI for linux is basically a copy of ( albiet an improved one ) over Win ( which was a copy of mac ). They're almost all the same thing.

And I keep hearing all this stuff which I don't agree with such as "in the coming years linux will be such and such".

Tell you what I think. It's never going to happen. Linux will also be to Microsoft what betamax was to VHS. Linux will fall away to obscurity the way unix has ( and is reserved for scientists and computer afficiendos ).

Why not just drop the "hate" and join us?

DJ Protoculture

bryanr77 2002-11-13 23:41

Reason is already on a Unix environment....Mac OSX (nt)

supersweeet 2002-11-13 23:52

/religious war on ... Come one come all

:I just thought it was strange that you say you hate Win and Mac ( love Reason ). But refuse to use it because of the platform.
:
:As an artist I just find it an odd thing for someone to say. Because for myself, I love making music enough that I'd use a program like Reason no matter the platform, because I loved to make music.

Hear hear! Reason and playing games are the only reasons I still keep a win box.

:The platform is irregardless. Why is it such a big issue for you? The GUI for linux is basically a copy of ( albiet an improved one ) over Win ( which was a copy of mac ). They're almost all the same thing.

Perhaps they look similar becuase there are a limited number of ways to create an interface that people can use.

:And I keep hearing all this stuff which I don't agree with such as "in the coming years linux will be such and such".
:
:Tell you what I think. It's never going to happen. Linux will also be to Microsoft what betamax was to VHS. Linux will fall away to obscurity the way unix has ( and is reserved for scientists and computer afficiendos ).

Boy are you in for a shock.
A number of my corporate and government clients are taking a serious interest in Linux at the moment. I've done two briefings on it this week. I am not unique in this regard. Linux may not kill windows, but it will hold a significant segment of the market in the medium term.

On the question of the props and Linux, they should do it if its going to be profitable for them. I'd be happy to pay for props on linux. That said, I'd expect a cross grade price, since I've already bought the product.

In my view, Linux should not be used because u hate windows or macs, but because it's the best solution for you.

PS your comment that linux users don't want to pay for anything is just wrong.

/religious war off

Sweet
supersweet

Sweet Reason

pkordel 2002-11-14 00:42

Re: no battle, just commen sense

:I just thought it was strange that you say you hate Win and Mac ( love Reason ). But refuse to use it because of the platform.
:
:As an artist I just find it an odd thing for someone to say. Because for myself, I love making music enough that I'd use a program like Reason no matter the platform, because I loved to make music.
:
:The platform is irregardless. Why is it such a big issue for you? The GUI for linux is basically a copy of ( albiet an improved one ) over Win ( which was a copy of mac ). They're almost all the same thing.
:
:And I keep hearing all this stuff which I don't agree with such as "in the coming years linux will be such and such".
:
:Tell you what I think. It's never going to happen. Linux will also be to Microsoft what betamax was to VHS. Linux will fall away to obscurity the way unix has ( and is reserved for scientists and computer afficiendos ).
:
I'm using a Unix flavor every day at work - Solaris, AIX and Linux. I also use Win2k and am buying a Mac OS X box next month. They are all tools to me and I have no emotional attachment to them. One caveat: if any one of them prevents me from doing my work without extensive tinkering, they're out. I'm buying a Mac OS X box _because_ it runs on top of BSD - a very stable Unix flavor. Combine that with a great user interface and I can work in all areas that I pursue: audio, video, 3d, writing software apps, etc. I am a strong Open Source supporter and hate big corporate monopolies, but on the other hand will not sacrifice usefulness for my beliefs.

danny_f 2002-11-14 01:54

are you sure

Maybe, I admit that it was a generalization. But most of the time I've looked into Linux it's all been about "free". It seems that a lot of the mentality behind it is all about "free" and saving money.

Personally, I don't mind purchasing software, especailly good software. The company deserves my dollars since they put the time and effort into it.

And as far as linux goes I have nothing against it. If reason were only available for linux, guess what OS I'd be using. Reason is what I'm after! :o)

I apologize for the generalizations earlier, re-reading what was posted I did come off as bit of a lout.

Anyway, keep it alive!!!
DJ Protoculture

supersweeet 2002-11-14 02:25

Cessation of hostilities

:Maybe, I admit that it was a generalization. But most of the time I've looked into Linux it's all been about "free". It seems that a lot of the mentality behind it is all about "free" and saving money.

Yah
Free in free software is supposed to be free as in speech, not free as in beer. However, there are lots of people which focus on "free as in beer". I don't think that's a sensible approach.

:Personally, I don't mind purchasing software, especailly good software. The company deserves my dollars since they put the time and effort into it.
:
:And as far as linux goes I have nothing against it. If reason were only available for linux, guess what OS I'd be using. Reason is what I'm after! :o)

I finally ordered Reason 2 this week. Hopefully will get it today or tomorrow. Woohoo!!!! Man am I going to be annoyed if it doesn't get here till Monday :-/

:Anyway, keep it alive!!!

u2 m8

Cheers

Sweet

kpinto01 2002-11-14 02:32

Re: no battle, just commen sense

ok last note on this (because i refuse to battle)...Sprawlmart now sells computers with the "lindows" operating system on them once sprawlmart sells something everyone has it .. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ng.gsp?cat=963
56&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796% 3A96356&
bti=0&sb=61 .

I am sorry "dj protoculture" but you are wrong. alot of people have been soured by big buisness and that means they will side with the community projects. that does not mean i will not buy software i like, it means i will not buy software from companies i do not like. You must not be affraid whats new. once again, i am sorry, not for what i say but how you read it. lets agree to disagree.