Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   TERRIBLE NEWS: Space shuttle exploded over Texas! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=57156)

EnochLight 2003-02-01 21:54

TERRIBLE NEWS: Space shuttle exploded over Texas!

http://www.nympheas.org/pictures/reason2.jpg
Sorry for this unrelated news, but I used to follow the space program religiously. Space shuttle Columbia exploded after re-entry - all astronauts are dead; check the link for story:
Seven astronauts killed as shuttle shatters

lucille 2003-02-02 00:43

Re: shouldn't that be in the music forum?

:Sorry for this unrelated news, but I used to follow the space program religiously. Space shuttle Columbia exploded after re-entry - all astronauts are dead; check the link for story:

blank 2003-02-02 02:14

Re: TERRIBLE NEWS: Space shuttle exploded over Texas!

Which marks the first time in NASA's 42 years of space flight that a manned craft fails to land... there have been other accidents over the years (Apollo 1, Apollo 13, Challenger) but all astronauts who ever managed to get into space have returned home alive, even the Apollo 13 dudes.

EnochLight 2003-02-02 02:16

Are you an insensative bastard, or do you play one on TV?

Seriously lucille - in the US, it's a national tragedy. We're talking about the death of 7 astronauts, 2 of which represented a huge milestones in the space program. How could you play sarcasm in a time like this?

Kalpana Chawla was the first Indian-born woman in space; Ilan Ramon was the first person from Israel to be in space - and the other 5 were no less important.

I thought that other Propellerhead software users would appreciate the story's link, and as I tend to not post in the "music forum" I figured here would be a good spot.

lucille, I've read your posts before and never thought that you of all people could take that attitude. What's gotten into you?

EnochLight 2003-02-02 02:19

Re: TERRIBLE NEWS: Space shuttle exploded over Texas!

:Which marks the first time in NASA's 42 years of space flight that a manned craft fails to land... there have been other accidents over the years (Apollo 1, Apollo 13, Challenger) but all astronauts who ever managed to get into space have returned home alive, even the Apollo 13 dudes.

That's very true; I was in highschool when the first shuttle exploded. I remember it very clearly; school was cancelled and everyone was really in shock. Things became so routine, you just never thought of the possibility of something like that happening. But all manned flights that made it to space did come back in one piece. Things are not good...

andresmith 2003-02-02 08:58

Re: TERRIBLE NEWS: :'(

My heart is broken over this. Canada has always had close ties to the space program. My grandfather contributed much of his post-war rocket research towards the space shuttle program, and these contributions let to me meeting Joe Engel and Richard Truly, the pilots of STS-2 (second ever shuttle mission), and actually touching the Columbia vehicle itself, when I was a young boy. This was a pivotal moment in my life, spawing a love of technology and exploration that has led me to Propellerhead's great software, along with many other exciting places.

My heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy, be it a direct relative, or someone like me who just has a strong affinity towards these brave explorers and their important tasks. Their work demands that they accept the possibility of disaster, and we all accept it as part of the price to pay for the riches their explorations afford to all of humanity. I believe the future of our race lies in a large part in the space program, and we must use these terrible events as tools to both better our science and harden our thirst for knowledge.

Sorry to rant, but this is a strong topic with me - one that transcends all the geo-social-economic-racial-religious bulls**it that the world has been thrust into lately. The space programs of the world are a global issue, and I hope that all people everywhere see these people as performing thier tasks not in the name of the American people, but in the name of science and knowledge for the whole world over. Without brave individuals like these, willing to step into the unknown, think of how different all our lives will be.

Thanks EnochLight for starting this thread - in a way everyone here is part of some sort of family of 'technophiles'. I for one feel like I have lost part of my family in todays tragedy.

I will be, for the first time, seeing what sort of sad song I can make Reason sing.

Shedding a tear for Columbia and her crew,

LaserGUIded
Ottawa Canada

EnochLight 2003-02-02 17:41

Re: TERRIBLE NEWS: :'(

That was great, LaserGUIded - thanks for those passionate words. I too have a large affinity for the space program and all that it is. It, too, has led me into a life that can appreciate technology and exploration. I look forward to the strides that we, as a human race, can make in the work and exploration of space. I haven't felt this way since the first shuttle disaster; this is truly a sad day.

I now consider myself privileged to know someone that has a historical connection to the space program - even if it is through this forum. Cheers LaserGUIded!

EnochLight
Detroit, MI

:My heart is broken over this. Canada has always had close ties to the space program. My grandfather contributed much of his post-war rocket research towards the space shuttle program, and these contributions let to me meeting Joe Engel and Richard Truly, the pilots of STS-2 (second ever shuttle mission), and actually touching the Columbia vehicle itself, when I was a young boy. This was a pivotal moment in my life, spawing a love of technology and exploration that has led me to Propellerhead's great software, along with many other exciting places.
:
:My heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy, be it a direct relative, or someone like me who just has a strong affinity towards these brave explorers and their important tasks. Their work demands that they accept the possibility of disaster, and we all accept it as part of the price to pay for the riches their explorations afford to all of humanity. I believe the future of our race lies in a large part in the space program, and we must use these terrible events as tools to both better our science and harden our thirst for knowledge.
:
:Sorry to rant, but this is a strong topic with me - one that transcends all the geo-social-economic-racial-religious bulls**it that the world has been thrust into lately. The space programs of the world are a global issue, and I hope that all people everywhere see these people as performing thier tasks not in the name of the American people, but in the name of science and knowledge for the whole world over. Without brave individuals like these, willing to step into the unknown, think of how different all our lives will be.
:
:Thanks EnochLight for starting this thread - in a way everyone here is part of some sort of family of 'technophiles'. I for one feel like I have lost part of my family in todays tragedy.
:
:I will be, for the first time, seeing what sort of sad song I can make Reason sing.
:
:Shedding a tear for Columbia and her crew,
:
:LaserGUIded
:Ottawa Canada

ulven 2003-02-02 18:31

Probably but maybe not.

::What's gotten into you?

Well, what youre seeing here is perhaps a hint of lacking sympathies for the US as a nation. Are you surprised that there are so few people replying to your thread? Im not. There are people all over the world aware of the facts that the US is about to kill thousands of innocent civilians in Iraq, just as it killed thousand of innocents in Afganistan last year. Who cares if 7 people in the US dies? People dies all over the world everyday from violent acts, starvation and torture, still you never see them on the news. Heck, over 30 000 people in the US kills each other every year with their own guns, thats almost a 11/9 each month. But thats what americans call "freedom", so I guess its no big headlines either.

I guess perhaps you are feeling pissed at me for this reply, but this is not directed to you personally EnochLight, you are one of the guys on this forum that shows great intelligense and one of the people here I almost always agree with. Im just taking the temperature on the common people over here. Im very, very far from being alone with this thoughts.

Kind regards,

Ulven
[url=http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/guns/guns_romance.html]Makin

oldeenglish 2003-02-02 18:48

Yes it's terrible. However,

:even more terrible things happen every day around the globe, but people tend to raise their eybrows only if the terrible thing happen under spectacular forms, or if there is huge amounts of money of money involved.

just a thought

blank 2003-02-02 19:50

Mhm...

Yeah, increasing negative sentiments about US foreign policies and USA in general would probably play a part in this, and as usual it doesn't help with the old "but there were people of other nationalities involved!". I personally think the Columbia disaster is very sad, and I can't justify making the far-fetched connection between this and US foreign policy, but I can understand if some people do.

I have a hunch Americans would be shocked if they had an idea of Western European sentiments about the Iraq development... as Elrond said, "Our list of allies grows thin". Oh wait, did I say shocked? Sorry, I meant indifferent. ("Look pal, if it weren't for our proud boys in the 101st, Sweden would be a shitty province of Germany" etc)

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein