Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Project 5- Props can sleep easy (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=59403)

rmartin 2003-04-22 09:55

Project 5- Props can sleep easy

I bought Project 5 last week (After getting a bonus at work and reading too many gushing reviews) and I have to say - Props have nothing to worry about.

First off, Project 5 appears to be more resource hungry than Reason - and this is without any 3rd party tools.

Secondly - it's incredibly unstable with NI DXIs. Using Absynth and Kontakt within it made it crash the entire PC (not just the program) on too many occasions to make it worthwhile using them. Both DXIs work fine (for me anyway) within Sonar.

Third - the effects tools aren't as good as the Reason equivalents IMO, especially delay and reverb.

The only thing that Project 5 has over Reason currently is the Synchron32 step sequencer. If only the Matrix could be like this.

Other than that though, I would advise people to avoid Project 5 - for the existing version anyway.

cindyr 2003-04-22 10:04

Project 5 is junk

:The minute I seen Project 5 I thought what garbage..Just the GUI allone is ugly..Then I think Cakewalk...owch..This is an insult to even compare Project 5 with Reason..Better to compare it with apps like Orion, FruityLoops etc..This is just no contendor to the high quality app of Reason..Reason is not a toy..where Project 5 is.

dracula 2003-04-22 10:42

Re: Project 5- Props can sleep easy

:I also bought Project 5, (music software for me is a drug) but I soon realized that I wasn't going to get on with it. The GUI is all over the place and it's very unstable - freezing as soon as you push it (even slightly)

Cakewalk never release demos until about 6 weeks after launch. They did this with Sonar and that to was very buggy initially.

If you critisise Cakewalk software on their newsgroups, loads of people jump in and call in to question your hardware and sometimes your sanity.

Forget Cakewalk, they are, as someone said, to be compared with Orion and the likes.

If only Reason had a VST adaptor to work with it. :(

:I bought Project 5 last week (After getting a bonus at work and reading too many gushing reviews) and I have to say - Props have nothing to worry about.
:
:First off, Project 5 appears to be more resource hungry than Reason - and this is without any 3rd party tools.
:
:Secondly - it's incredibly unstable with NI DXIs. Using Absynth and Kontakt within it made it crash the entire PC (not just the program) on too many occasions to make it worthwhile using them. Both DXIs work fine (for me anyway) within Sonar.
:
:Third - the effects tools aren't as good as the Reason equivalents IMO, especially delay and reverb.
:
:The only thing that Project 5 has over Reason currently is the Synchron32 step sequencer. If only the Matrix could be like this.
:
:Other than that though, I would advise people to avoid Project 5 - for the existing version anyway.

roland303 2003-04-22 10:55

Well, I can't really comment on the program itself since it's not even available for the Mac. But as far as the GUI goes, I have to say it looks butt ugly.

jhissong 2003-04-22 13:52

This verifies my decision to go with Reason. I am glad I did. I looked at Project 5 and thought, hmm... maybe I should try that instead (just because I have used FL for a while and gotten used to VSTi). No demo. I do not buy anything until I have played with a demo. (I was already playing around with the Reason demo).

You know, I am not missing the VSTi support. Yea, it would be nice to throw an Oddity or Mellotron plugin in there, but with the sampler in Reason, it does fine.

Last night I was trying my hand at mastering (hah!) and loaded up the rack with tons of stuff... guess what? Reason did not hiccup once!!! And no lag, pops, cracks, or anything. Reason is one solid program.

Way to go Props! You guys are on top!

Jason Hissong

matrixmillion 2003-04-22 15:22

The Props are the kings of software as far as im concerned..

Its true. Every Props' program is stable as mable. I love them. I'm glad they arent embracing VSTis in Reason. They should spend time on additions to Reason, encorporating VSTS is a quickfix that will make Reason the worst program ever.

DIGITUS 2003-04-22 15:58

Just don't compare it too Orion Platinum... It Rocks. n/t

lucille 2003-04-22 16:32

Re: ni dxi's are junk; use vst versions

NI is using an inferior wrapper to present their
synths as dxi: use the vst versions. Vsts is sonar
with fx swapper (now incorporated into p5) are ver stable and have features dxi's lack (some automation options and multiouts)

regards

rmartin 2003-04-22 16:34

Re: ni dxi's are junk; use vst versions

:NI is using an inferior wrapper to present their
:synths as dxi: use the vst versions. Vsts is sonar
:with fx swapper (now incorporated into p5) are ver stable and have features dxi's lack (some automation options and multiouts)
:
:regards

I tried using the NI VSTs as well - Project 5 still crashes after a short period of time!

alphalock 2003-04-22 17:51

Re: Project 5 is junk

You are an idiot with rose colored glasses. Im willing to bet you've never even touched P5.
As far as stability, using any NI product will test any system's resources.