Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Audiopad - futuristic performance instrument! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=62184)

brent11 2003-07-11 18:27

Audiopad - futuristic performance instrument!

looks pretty interesting. here's a short text block from the website. there is a demo video also.

----
"Audiopad is something I have developed with electronic musician and fellow Media Lab graduate student Ben Recht.

It is a composition and performance instrument for electronic music which tracks the positions of objects on a tabletop surface and converts their motion into music. One can pull sounds from a giant set of samples, juxtapose archived recordings against warm synthetic melodies, cut between drum loops to create new beats, and apply digital processing all at the same time on the same table. Audiopad not only allows for spontaneous reinterpretation of musical compositions, but also creates a visual and tactile dialogue between itself, the performer, and the audience.

Audiopad has a matrix of antenna elements which track the positions of electronically tagged objects on a tabletop surface. Software translates the position information into music and graphical feedback on the tabletop. Each object represents either a musical track or a microphone.

Please email James Patten at jpatten@media.mit.edu if you have questions about Audiopad. "

----
here's the link:

http://web.media.mit.edu/~jpatten/newaudiopad.html

- brent

brent11 2003-07-11 20:55

am I the only one that thinks this is cool?

I think this is the way to go for electronic music live performance. I would like to see things progress beyond laptop noodling. I think a combination of this type of tool (except maybe bigger - maybe a wall sized one) used with other performance art would take electronic music show to the next level.

I know there are already people doing this like blue man group, Fisherspooner, etc. But, if more artists were to catch on and combine the music with performance artists providing visuals beyond just the routine video backdrop, it would give electronic music some much needed live credibility. As it is right now, I don't think the average concert-goer could give two craps about seeing somebody sitting behind a laptop for two hours.

I wish electronic artists would form more groups, but instead of a traditional "group", where you have a guitarist, drummer, singer, bass player - have a musician or two in charge of the music sequencing and looping, a video artist in charge of the video backdrop, dancers, etc. I've even heard of dancers who wear bodysuits with MIDI triggers in the limbs that trigger instruments while in motion. Have interactive toys on stage. Put the MIDI triggers on a beachball type of thing and throw it into the audience for a bit of crowd interactivity. You don't have to be Carrot Top to use props on stage, right?

Anybody got anymore brainstorming they would like to add? Maybe this is all being done already by people, but I would like to see these things become more visible. Too much laptop noodling, not enough performance if you ask me. If artists don't try harder, soon, it will be "Oh, why do you want to go see ____, they just sit there and stare at laptops. I can listen to the CD at home for free."

- Brent

stormchild 2003-07-11 21:45

No sir...

I saw a video of Audiopad recently. Looks *quite* interesting, to say the least.

Corsica_S 2003-07-11 21:47

Nope

I agree that hanging out behind laptops would get to be a bit of a drag.
I enjoy the live shows for the energy of the performer, often more so than the energy of the music itself, if the performer has energy then that is what creates the great live mood. I particularly am interested in the idea of audience participation, like your MIDI beach ball. Check out the I-CubeX by infusionsystems if you haven't already. I haven't used it, but it seems like the right thing to use.
Yo Yo Ma played a "hypercello" which would alter its sound based on body movements.
I also have heard of performances where motion detectors were used in/on the audience, so that they were a part of the performance.
Definately more "performance art" type stuff rather than what most people think of as straight up electronic music.
I saw the Cleveland Chamber Symphony mix orchestra with crazy electronic stuff they may still play new music, although more orchestral than electronic.
Tim

brent11 2003-07-11 22:23

Re: Nope

:I also have heard of performances where motion detectors were used in/on the audience, so that they were a part of the performance.
-
Ah, that's a good one! I can picture that being kind of a Big Brother type of theme with security cameras panning over the audience also, projected onto screens.
-
:Definately more "performance art" type stuff rather than what most people think of as straight up electronic music.
-
Yes, but I think Performance Art and Electronic Music live performance are particularly well suited to each other. Combing each other's strengths would make for a great combo. The lack of visual excitement of *most* live electronic music performance could definitely be made up for by teaming up with more visual artists.

Hopefully we'll see more of this. The only examples I can think of at the moment are Fisherspooner. But surely artists will start to see the benefits of this type of *group* performance.

- Brent
-

lancehayes 2003-07-11 22:51

Very nice!

http://images.mp3.com/mp3s/53/resour...s/10059350.jpg
I would think that "Atmosphere" would be a good companion for this.
Along with Reason of course!
- DJDM
DJ Drunken Master at DJDM.com

Corsica_S 2003-07-11 23:27

Re: Nope

:Yes, but I think Performance Art and Electronic Music live performance are particularly well suited to each other. Combing each other's strengths would make for a great combo.
I agree, unfortunately the two audiences have yet to see that i think. Not to mention that it is hard to actually classify the two. But they do complement each other greatly.

A really neat and free program is Arge

millionaire 2003-07-12 03:00

wow

No, this is definatly very cool. There's somthing terribly flawed about computer interface. The typewriter & pointer arrangement is okay, but pretty limited. I know that I have a hard time, in most of the things I do (i.e. graphics, music, video), actually exressing work rather than simply programming it. Seeing an interface like that is gives me the weird kind of tingle that I associate with being shown somthing new and amazing. It's like the first baby steps towards somthing like the computers in Minority Report (where Tom Cruise does that stupid little dance, but it looks like it would work pretty well). Live would work realy well with somthing like this. Those rotating arcs, indicating the playing sample or whatever, the ability to literally drag & drom sounds. Blurring the line between doing somthing relatively simple with your hands & making somthing amazing happen is the next direction for all this to move in I think.

Ogggy 2003-07-12 12:07

Re: am I the only one that thinks this is cool?

Though, after reading the rest, it may be moot...

A RF/WiFi/blue/whatever "grid", dropped down over the audienc's head, where the pit (sorry, my own sensebilitlies kicking in) uhh, , the "audience" gets to play and interact- by motion or raised arms. "Teach" the audience to play along and play with thru your skillfull and bizarre spec'd interactions.. Give them their own track. Move on, but they keep their own "track" as part of the mix. Major scene. Suck it up or dance, in whatever form. :)

-Oggy

Ogggy 2003-07-12 12:22

Re: am I the only one that thinks this is cool?

OK, bue doesn't belong there, that would pretty much be a good example of what blue doesn't do (yet)...

hmmm, wow, (yet), let's think about THAT one!!!

-Oggy