Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bass on small speakers example (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=64580)

selig 2003-09-25 19:02

Bass on small speakers example

on 2003-09-16 20:37:41 louki asked about getting deep bass on small speakers. It took me a while, but I created an example of how upper harmonics added to a deep bass sound can help make it possible to perceive the bass part on small speakers. The song is called "Bass Harmonic Demo".
I use the Vocoder to display a simple example of how adding upper harmonics (via distortion, in this case the Scream 4) doesn't add hardly any overall gain, but does allow the low notes to be 'heard' on small speakers. The example (when played) toggles between no generated harmonics and generated harmonics avery 2 bars. Watching the vocoder's display you will notice the upper harmonics appear and dissappear every 2 bars, but the level on Mixer channel 1 stays the same. Also notice that the lowest band on the vocoder stays the same, indicating that the LF information, ie. the fundimental, stays the same level (does not decrease) when adding the upper harmonics. While this is nothing earth shattering, I hope it helps illustrate the concepts that myself and others were refering to in an effort to explain how to deal with low bass sounds and small speakers. As always, YMMV :)

arothman 2003-09-25 19:29

Re: Bass on small speakers example

Interesting, but what's the difference between this and simply adding a duplicate bass note a couple of octaves up? When I listen to the .rps, that's the effect I get ... barely audible bass note, followed by a higher version being added. Adding harmonics still won't make the fundamental audible on smaller speakers... it just adds an audible component to it.
Drew

selig 2003-09-25 19:48

:Interesting, but what's the difference between this and simply adding a duplicate bass note a couple of octaves up? When I listen to the .rps, that's the effect I get ... barely audible bass note, followed by a higher version being added. Adding harmonics still won't make the fundamental audible on smaller speakers... it just adds an audible component to it.

The point is that you don't have to make the fundamental audible, in fact you can't on some systems. But it's the same way with voices on the telephone, at least it used to be when the phone lines were only 3-3 (300-3000Hz). You could still identify someone's voice, even a deep one with fundamentals below the cutoff point of the phone. Its a know psyco-acoustic phenomena. The brain reconstructs the fundamental (crazy shit, I know).
As to your point about adding an oct or two above the root - works OK on synth patches (but the octs must be in absolute phase with the root) but only adds 1 or 2 harmonics. And it won't work as well on samples or live bass instruments or synths as audio tracks. The technique demonstrated adds many harmonics that allow you to perceive the fundamental even if the 2 lowest harmonics (root and oct) are below the cutoff of the playback system (something the oct trick alone would not solve).

arothman 2003-09-25 19:55

Got it. Nice! (nt)

wikholm 2003-09-27 02:59

Bass Harmonics *Example*, not Demo

Had a problem finding it first... Interesting concept.
Bass Harmonics Example

selig 2003-09-27 17:44

Re: Bass Harmonics *Example*, not Demo

:Had a problem finding it first... Interesting concept.

Sorry, I'm still a bit of an internet idiot, even though I've been using computers since the early 80s! Thanks for the clarification, wikholm.

louki 2003-12-04 18:53

Wow, it took me a long time to reply - I missed this post the first time around...

Thanks a lot for the idea - I'll have to try that - and I appreciate the time you took to find a solution!