Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MIDI guitar (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=65188)

grim2nd 2003-10-15 06:59

MIDI guitar

Hi all, I think this is my first post on this site, even though I've been using Reason for the last 2 years.
I read the article about using a midi guitar, and was just wondering if anyone knows of any particulary good gear.
I'm also wondering about installation of the MIDI thing, because I'm not to interested in having to remove a pickup.

grim2nd 2003-10-15 07:03

Re: MIDI guitar

:Hi all, I think this is my first post on this site, even though I've been using Reason for the last 2 years.
:I read the article about using a midi guitar, and was just wondering if anyone knows of any particulary good gear.
:I'm also wondering about installation of the MIDI thing, because I'm not to interested in having to remove a pickup. But then again I'm also sick of using my tiny, unresponsive and generic three octave midi keyboard.

jonyo 2003-10-15 08:55

You could buy one of the roland-ready Fender strats with the GK2A pickup built in, or one of the really nic Brian Moore guitars with the roland compatible pickup built in. I have one of the strats, it's really nice. Mexican made, no bad construction like one the low end Fender Squire stuff. The newer GI-20 unit from Roland is good for use with computer stuff like Reason, as it just does MIDI conversion, and has no sounds of its own. If you do want a built in synth in the MIDI converter in addition to MIDI output, take a look at the slightly more expensive Roland GR-33. I have the older model before that, the GR-30, and it works pretty well.

Even the much more expensive MIDI guitar systems like the Axon seem to not have very good tracking on low pitches. I find that the tracking gets too slow to use with relatively fast playing around low C and below (C at the 3rd fret of the A string). When doing purely synth stuff, I will often play an octave higher, and transpose the MIDI down, rather than playing at the lower pitch I want to hear. This helps the tracking quite a bit. I've never gotten a chance to try it, but I've heard from more than one source that the Axon system has the best tracking around. I forget who makes it, but you could google it and find out.

- R

:Hi all, I think this is my first post on this site, even though I've been using Reason for the last 2 years.
:I read the article about using a midi guitar, and was just wondering if anyone knows of any particulary good gear.
:I'm also wondering about installation of the MIDI thing, because I'm not to interested in having to remove a pickup.

npinero 2003-10-15 16:13

Grim, I just bought a Brian Moore i2.13 for $800 (small finish flaw). and it is the best guitar I currently own (compared to PRS, Gibson Strat). These guitars go for $1500 and they are made in Korea. I never thought I would even remotely like a Korean made guitar, and I now went back to playing guitar every day becuase I am amazed at the sound I'm getting out of this guitar. I am saving up for a Custom made American model $3,000 because I spoke to the guys at Brian Moore and they have the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Ialso have a GI20, and the tracking is phenomnal , I also had a Roland Ready Strat and a Godin Nylon guitar. The Brian and Godin track the best. The GI20 is better than GR33 IMHO because it has a direct connection via USB to my laptop.

If you can afford it buy the Brian Moore or the Godin and the GI20. This is the best way to get Reason on stage so far. Good luck.

lexio 2003-10-16 01:35

::Hi all, I think this is my first post on this site, even though I've been using Reason for the last 2 years.
::I read the article about using a midi guitar, and was just wondering if anyone knows of any particulary good gear.
::I'm also wondering about installation of the MIDI thing, because I'm not to interested in having to remove a pickup.

I still own a GR-30 Synth and I purposely bought a Roland Ready Strat. Mine is Mexican made [as well], which actually is really good quality. I own two Mexican Strats, one American Strat +, a Fernandez Jazz bass, and an old '80's Mexi-PBass. Very satisfied with Fender's Mexi-Stuff. Though, I will eventually swap out the tuners and bridge. Yet, if you're a bit of stickler in terms playability and sound. Poke around for the one you like the most, and the stock pickup that come with the Mexi-RRStrat are a tad noisy. BTW, most guitar models, you really should not have to remove any pickup, if you go the GK-2A way. But I do highly recommend going the RRStrat, rather than Frankenstein'ing you guitar [unless it is beater]. Plus it IS much easier to deal with, then trying to align the GK-2A yourself with the stick tape and then committing to screws. If you got a nice Vintage or nice whatever...don't do it.

I use a slightly heavier guage of strings, 10's, I get slightly better tracking than using 9's. Now if you want just slightly better note pitch control, with the GR-30, then shut off the Bend Data. This especially good when doing piano, drums, or marimbas, etc, parts. Keeps the "Yiii-eee-aahh and errr-woo-errr" down to a minimum. There is also a setting for Finger Play, so if you do a little chicken plucking, this an especially good setting. Play with nice heavy pick, this also help in tracking...at least for me, it helps. You definitely have to finese it differently via MIDI, than just using it stand alone or just playing guitar. Also, what I do specifically for MIDI, the way the GR-30 works, I will choose a few user Patches, set them up for the different style of playing. If I am finger picking a part, depending on nuances, I might set a patch to Finger Play, with Bend Data on, and another set to finger play, but no Bend Data, etc, etc. Get my drift. This makes it more useful as you are using it for Reason, etc. Switch the patch with your foot and perform to your hearts content. Now live is whole different approach, and trying to stack synths and modules, etc, then expecting to be on the money all the time. Well, practice will only get you to the point that it will react reliably each time.

I genuinely think going with a Roland Ready Strat is a bit better solution, since they are pretty cheap. I found doing it the other way is more temperamental and the design is slightly flawed. You end up putting shimmies, tape, and screw holes on your guitar for the pickup, and the tape to stick the controls on the guitar is rather unpleasing to deal with if you decide to remove it. Yet, the wire that connects the two, can get caught on shirt buttons, etc, and really, if you think about it, you don't want tape it down. With the RRStrat it is all nicely installed into the guitar and ready to go...no fuss. When I approached this concept, it was about 2 bills for the Pick up...where as you spend about 5 bills on the Guitar with the pickup built in. What ever the price is now, it still comes out cheaper, than buying a MexiStrat, then purchasing the bare bones RR Pick up from Fender's custom shop, and have a good person to install the system for you, like an RRStrat or even sending it over to Fender's custom shop to drop a GK-2A in. Yet if you decided to purchase the regular GK-2A Pick up, then a Mexi-strat, by the time you finish, including time and effort. It still comes out roughly the same. Do the math with each consideration. You'll find I am close to the truth on this.

Also, as much I have heard good things about the Axiom [or whatever it is called]. I never met anyone whom uses them and I was unable to find a place that had one I could test...this frustrated the hell out of me. Since it was more money. I spent a good three months, viaing to try it out, searching, and searching. It is too bad really, because they are supposed to be much better...but it was never around for me to see just how good the thing was! My deciding votes to go via the GR-30 were; One, more people were using them, and parts could be easily found. Two, with the VG-88 on the way [at the time], I now could use an RRStrat with it. And Three, the creator of the Chapman Stick, Emmet Chapman, has two different Stick models that support GR's. So I said to myself...hmmm, if I ever wanted to get into Stick, there is a model that requires two GR's. I later could get a GR-33 as well, and still be able to use my old GR-30 as well. Also, Chapman reports better tracking using the Stick. So I said screw it, and went with the Roland. BTW, the GR-33 is more improved and the expression pedal built into it, is great. On my GR-30, I actually have to purchase it separately. Oh, if you are considering VG-88...NO it does not send Note on/Note off values...Yeah, I know, it seemed stupid to me too. Virtually works on the same principal. Oh, and you learn very quickly how to despise Roland Manuals...LOL.

In final, it is not really the best MIDI controller...but man, at least it works. If you're a guitar player, then the finagling doesn't really bother you all that much. Since, playing and recording the vibe via MIDI is more important, then the slight pitch fixes you will have do, which is minor in comparison to the goal of desired results. That is the most important thing to remember. But I will say, that ever since I moved to a USB MIDI interface, this has slightly improved. But it is still quirky.

grim2nd 2003-10-16 03:01

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I appreciate your time.