Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gah! drum rex, drum rex, drum rex, drum....(waving hands) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=65255)

doinky 2003-10-18 04:41

Gah! drum rex, drum rex, drum rex, drum....(waving hands)

Gah! Am I the only one?

I went to check out the Prop's tons of refills and saw the number of new Sonic refills out and most of them are drum loops (rex).

Is it me, or are many refill makers missing the point? I want to make a creation from sounds, not loops. Sure a rex file here and there in my music doesn't hurt, but you'd think rex files were the be all of the end all in music creation the way they pump these things out.

I figure the bulk of refill makers put out almost 8 drum rex refills per every 1 refill of sample sounds.

When I create my music I go for samples, in particular, unique synth, drum or effect samples. I couldn't care less for all this rigid loop building.

So what's up with all these rex refills? Do you all play loopity, loopity with your tunes or just wait for the next sample refill kit to come out like me?

Cheers!

EditEd4TV 2003-10-18 05:12

Re: Gah! drum rex, drum rex, drum rex, drum....(waving hand

You're right, the loops get annoying after a while. I have a loop now or then for the brief percussive interlude from chorus back to verse, something like that. But I RARELY (if ever) build a song up exclusively with loops.

I think the reason you find so many rex loops is because these guys can pull an LP or cassette out of their parents garage, pull a drum loop off some vague unknown vinyl, and slice it up in ReCycle, and sell it to you. Don't get me wrong, I think some rex stuff is awesome, but i'd love to see a better ratio of other stuff, more single shot samples so that *I* can make the beat *I* want. :)

:Gah! Am I the only one?
:
:I went to check out the Prop's tons of refills and saw the number of new Sonic refills out and most of them are drum loops (rex).
:
:Is it me, or are many refill makers missing the point? I want to make a creation from sounds, not loops. Sure a rex file here and there in my music doesn't hurt, but you'd think rex files were the be all of the end all in music creation the way they pump these things out.
:
:I figure the bulk of refill makers put out almost 8 drum rex refills per every 1 refill of sample sounds.
:
:When I create my music I go for samples, in particular, unique synth, drum or effect samples. I couldn't care less for all this rigid loop building.
:
:So what's up with all these rex refills? Do you all play loopity, loopity with your tunes or just wait for the next sample refill kit to come out like me?
:
:Cheers!

lancehayes 2003-10-18 08:42

OK this is a little sad you guys. They are F-R-E-E files...

http://www.djdm.com/images/ColorGirlSmallSquare.jpg
No one is stopping you from making your own. Or ratcheting open your dusty wallet and paying for some. I don't remember anyone promising free refills indefinitely with Reason. ;-)

Besides drum loops fill in a critical missing element in almost every studio of any size. You can record almost everything else easily at this point but getting a good sounding full drum kit even in a half way decent studio is a bitch.

And Ed? Man you can so play the sounds in the rex files and or reorganize them anyway YOU want them. No ones stopping you there.

- DJDM
DJ Drunken Master's all Reason Based music +

dtrain 2003-10-18 09:08

Re: Gah! drum rex, drum rex, drum rex, drum....(waving hands)

REX files rock! You don't even need to use them as is, you can make a drum kit out of them, or even a whole new progression. They are just sounds that are cut up, it's up to you how you use them. If you decide to use them straight up that's your problem. But the true samplist looks at each individual slice as a source of inspiration. A REX file is not the whole of it's sum.... hehehehe. So get real and explore the opportunities. If you're looking for that awesome drum hit.... it just might be a part of a REX file.

12:02 AM Saturday.... Absinthe kicking in..... going out now.... L.A. CA......

-dTrain
http://www.myscratchdisk.com/

stormchild 2003-10-18 09:19

Why don't you try learning how to use Rex files :)

If you think Rex files are just loops, you've not even begun to understand what they can do.

Tried loading individual slices of Rex files as drum sounds in the Redrum? Or rearranging the slices in the Rex lane of the sequencer?

I think you better check this out...
Ask Dr. Rex!

mbody 2003-10-18 12:16

Re: Gah! drum rex, drum rex, drum rex, drum....(waving hand

:I agree with you, doinky. I don't think you were talking about just drum sounds, nor how to go about writing a song. I'd also prefer NN-XT material like the PNS stuff to proliferate rather than the REX stuff. Truly, it seems far easier to ReCycle a few bars of percussive audio than it is to build an inspiring NN-XT multilayer patch from meticulously recorded and selected original samples, all neatly trimmed and looped. This is not to say there aren't some very good REX files out there, created with comparable skill and artistry in the studio and ReCycle. But I like playing instruments on my keyboard primarily, and the fact remains there are few instrumental sample libraries out there actually worth their salt. There is plenty of room for new, quality instrumental libraries, and although some developers heed the call, precious few of them will give out free morsels for us hungry dogs to savour.

adfielding 2003-10-18 13:22

Amen to that

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/A.../sm-354426.jpg
I like my single shot samples, but I love REX files as well, simply because they're such flexible loops. Sure, you can just bung 'em in your track to give it some extra punch (something I do quite a lot), or you can go nuts and have really crazy drums to your liking. Even when I used to use drumloop samples I'd mess with them a bit beforehand or mutilate them in-song (and sometimes I wouldn't).

I'd be pissed if I paid for a sample cd that was full of only REX files (yes, single-shot samples to be are more useful), but I haven't. So I'm not.
-Ad

Djstarski 2003-10-18 14:47

Re: Gah! drum rex, drum rex, drum rex, drum....(waving hands)

:Gah! Am I the only one?
:
:I went to check out the Prop's tons of refills and saw the number of new Sonic refills out and most of them are drum loops (rex).
:
:Is it me, or are many refill makers missing the point? I want to make a creation from sounds, not loops. Sure a rex file here and there in my music doesn't hurt, but you'd think rex files were the be all of the end all in music creation the way they pump these things out.
:
:I figure the bulk of refill makers put out almost 8 drum rex refills per every 1 refill of sample sounds.
:
:When I create my music I go for samples, in particular, unique synth, drum or effect samples. I couldn't care less for all this rigid loop building.
:
:So what's up with all these rex refills? Do you all play loopity, loopity with your tunes or just wait for the next sample refill kit to come out like me?
:
:Cheers!

try creating your own samples it`s all there , ain`t noting to it just do it. you`ll feel better for it to and you`ll get money cause people are using your loops , think about it

doinky 2003-10-18 16:23

snip, snip, cut, cut.

Interesting. Looks like rex lovers out number sample lovers 2:1.

Sorry, yes I read the dr. rex article long ago, I understand your points guys and no not all rex files are pointless (free or commercial). It's just that even most of you guys seem eager to break out of the loop and pull out the samples too.

So....I guess what I'm really saying is I really wonder if we all couldn't be better served with a better balance from commercial refill makers.

Cheers!

adfielding 2003-10-18 17:31

Point noted

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/A.../sm-354426.jpg
:So....I guess what I'm really saying is I really wonder if we all couldn't be better served with a better balance from commercial refill makers.
:

I like REX files, no doubt about it. But I also like other formats as well, so i guess you're right - I like a variety of stuff, so I'd buy a sample cd with lots of different stuff on it instead of going for REX cds.
-Ad