Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   swusainc: New Track - East Of Me (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=68323)

swusainc 2004-01-12 18:49

swusainc: New Track - East Of Me

Hi,

My apologies in advance for being away for so long and not listening and replying to other tracks. I promise to listen to those I missed (well maybe not all of them since it looks like there was a lot I missed).

I hate asking others to listen to my stuff when I haven't been listening to theirs, but not enough to actually not do it. :-)

So listen to this and let me know what you think and in the meantime, I'll be listening to the stuff I missed and letting you know what I think.

East Of Me started out as an India-themed thing, but somehow turned out to be a middle-earth, Lord Of The Rings, new age film score type thing. How does this happen? Maybe if I knew what I was doing, it would help!

Goes perfect with just about any of the Lord Of The Rings preview video trailers. :-)

Enjoy,

Dave
East Of Me and others are here

Stompp 2004-01-12 21:02

New age filmscore... is that even a genre? ;)

Hello.

Good percussion opening- it works well. I'd slow down the opening chord progressions... but after that there's nothing I'd change. I can hear the LOTR influence, but the track also has those ethnic influences you mentioned showing through. I'd say it's more reminiscent of African music though. I think it's because the scale used doesn't have much in common with an Indian rag scale, and it also kind of reminds me of Hans Zimmer's score to The Lion King. It's probably that flute (is it a flute? Woodwind anyway...) sound. I think the tabla working with the flute and strings gives it this Indian-African-"Western contemporary" mix feel to it. Quality track, well worth the download.
Stompp

swusainc 2004-01-12 21:22

Re: New age filmscore... is that even a genre? ;)

Hi,

I think the tabla working with the flute and strings gives it this Indian-African-"Western contemporary" mix feel to it.

Is Indian-African-Western contemporary a genre? :-) I don't know if new age film score is a genre but it has fewer words. :-)

Glad you enjoyed it.

Dave
My Music

lancehayes 2004-01-12 21:51

Re: swusainc: New Track - East Of Me

http://www.djdm.com/images/SmallBluedevil2.gif
The composition is solid film score but I have to say that you need to check your lowend on the pad sounds. It sounds a little tubby and it seems to be affecting the overall track volume. Also the strings sound a little midi'ish. They would work for most applications but up close and as the sole focus (without a scene from a movie to distract you) they do not really sound very convincing.
I like the percussion and woodwind work very well.
Nice job. :)
- DJDM
DJDM @ DJDM.com

swusainc 2004-01-13 00:11

Ah, my old nemesis "the strings"... we meet again. Bottom end tubbiness I can deal with easily enough... realistic strings, well they're not yet in my grasp.

Quick question first before I ramble. Can you expand slightly on the strings thing? Too harsh? Too rigid in the tempo? What are you hearing or what might you do differently or suggest?

In addition to articulation issues, I'm wondering if I'm close the the limits of the samples that I'm currently using. I'd actually like to get the quality issue out of the way by getting a high quality package and then I'll know that whatever doesn't sound good at that point is me and I can certainly work on that.

Many, many factory sounds and settings in Reason are very good but I never could get anything decent out of the Orkester strings in terms of thick, lush power. I wound up trying a cheap route by purchasing the $50 Prosamples orchestra which contains the violins you're hearing. They're a big improvement over having the Orkester string samples playing the same section.

I'm looking at adding Sonar and some good high-quality orchestra and ethnic instrument samples.

BTW, I only have one song from you - Selena Walks, a very nice tune. I just clicked to your site and I'll troll around there for more songs now for a while instead of rambling on here. :-)

Thanks,

Dave

PS - The percussion is from Rhythm Of Life, a bunch of Rex loops for Reason. Highly recommended.

My Music

lancehayes 2004-01-13 00:34

http://www.djdm.com/images/SmallBluedevil2.gif
I think it is safe to say that the strings are the issue less than the parts. They seem to lack any kind of variation (i.e. they sound like fairly short loops) and come off as very static.
I have some very cool strings that I use called "Advanced Orchestra" (http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...cal_orchestral) that are great and not that expensive if you don't mind creating the loops and patching them together yourself. Or for a little more $$ you can spring for the AKAI disks and convert them via ReLoad. :)
Those are the strings you are hearing on "Selena Walks", "Snake Dance (DJDM Charmed Remix) and many of my other choons.
The other thing that I think helps is to study the way an orchestra is laid out and how the arrangements are created. I tend to pan the instruments according to my memory of orchestra layouts for a live event and add a fair amount of reverb for a large room sound. As for the arrangement think Bass - Lowend, Cello - Low mids, Viola - shadows the violin with its darker tone, and finally the Violns usually have at least two sections working at a time.
Instead of approaching the strings as a pad think of them as an ensemble that you have in your computer. :) That tends to get pretty realistic results for me.
DJDM @ DJDM.com

lfreeman 2004-01-13 16:58

Hi,
:
:My apologies in advance for being away for so long and not listening and replying to other tracks. I promise to listen to those I missed (well maybe not all of them since it looks like there was a lot I missed).
:
:I hate asking others to listen to my stuff when I haven't been listening to theirs, but not enough to actually not do it. :-)
:
:So listen to this and let me know what you think and in the meantime, I'll be listening to the stuff I missed and letting you know what I think.
:
:East Of Me started out as an India-themed thing, but somehow turned out to be a middle-earth, Lord Of The Rings, new age film score type thing. How does this happen? Maybe if I knew what I was doing, it would help!
:
:Goes perfect with just about any of the Lord Of The Rings preview video trailers. :-)
:
:Enjoy,
:
:Dave

Hi Dave,
I really enjoyed your TvTune. I think it would also complement a yoga type class. The sounds were soft and warm, very relaxing. The Euro Dance song you programmed was also cool. It's obvious you're no amature.

swusainc 2004-01-14 02:33

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the tracks.
My Music

scottyw 2004-01-14 19:20

I love the overall feel! Very nice work, Dave.

A few comments:
- The intro chord progession (D A6/C# Bm G D/A A) is a bit sudden. Maybe try the same progression with a lighter instrument, or fade in the pad, then play the progression in cut-time, or even just fade the pad into the Bm.
- I like the flute!
- The fix on the strings - especially where they come in around 1:15 - might be with dynamics: exaggerate the crescendo a bit.
- Cool percussion loops
- Can you make the pad at 1:50 a bit more legato?
- The flute/strings duet idea works really well.

~ Scotty

swusainc 2004-01-16 00:04

Hi,

You should have heard the intro come in before I toned it down to what it is now! I think I'll do something like fade with a pad or something simple just to take the abruptness away.

At some point soon I'm going to invest in something high-end as far as orchestra samples go so that combined with a few articulation tweaks should do the trick.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I was stuck for a long time. I'm like you - I like the percussion especially. The loops are from Rhythm Of Life. They're in REX format and I highly recommend them (only $50 or so).

Glad you liked it. I'll keep an eye out for your postings as well.

Thanks,

Dave
My Music