Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Difference between Headphone and speakers (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=69868)

Jay 2004-02-23 19:20

Difference between Headphone and speakers

Hi,

I use Reason for some time now.., getting the hang of it and find it more and more fun to work with. I dont have a studio or anything, just some simple speakers, and an simple headphone, Nothing fancy!

But now i can hear quiet some differce in a song when i made it with Headphone and listen it trough my speakers.. Some instruments i cant even hear at all. So i could start using my speakers when making the music, but then i have the same , those songs sound incorrect on my headphone then.

Specially with basses, when i get a nice bass with my headphone, the bass is to high in volume on my speakers.

Anyone know of a headphone that is perfect for music making? Since i cant always burst my speakers to the max, driving my neighbours nuts. Or anyone know an other solution?

Thanks,
Jer0me

Dave909 2004-02-23 20:09

Re: Difference between Headphone and speakers

http://www.reasonfreaks.com/images/rfbanner.jpg
There are no headphones which are perfect for music making. You should never balance a mix on any headphones. Speakers are the thing to use. Headphones don't have the bass response which speakers offer and also panning sound very different on headphones than on speakers. Your better of composing with your headphones and then balance the mix on speakers (preferably studio monitors which have a flat response). That way your mix will sound good on other speakers as well as headphones :)

Hi,
:
:I use Reason for some time now.., getting the hang of it and find it more and more fun to work with. I dont have a studio or anything, just some simple speakers, and an simple headphone, Nothing fancy!
:
:But now i can hear quiet some differce in a song when i made it with Headphone and listen it trough my speakers.. Some instruments i cant even hear at all. So i could start using my speakers when making the music, but then i have the same , those songs sound incorrect on my headphone then.
:
:Specially with basses, when i get a nice bass with my headphone, the bass is to high in volume on my speakers.
:
:Anyone know of a headphone that is perfect for music making? Since i cant always burst my speakers to the max, driving my neighbours nuts. Or anyone know an other solution?
:
:Thanks,
:Jer0me
:
:
ReaSonFreAks

pathammy 2004-02-23 20:54

http://www.pathamm.com/misc/forum_image.gif
There are no headphones which are perfect for music making. You should never balance a mix on any headphones. Speakers are the thing to use. Headphones don't have the bass response which speakers offer and also panning sound very different on headphones than on speakers. Your better of composing with your headphones and then balance the mix on speakers (preferably studio monitors which have a flat response). That way your mix will sound good on other speakers as well as headphones :)
:

I would even go a step further then dave909 did: You mentioned that you need headphones because "I cant always burst my speakers to the max", right?

You will almost always get better results mixing when you mix at very low levels. It's easy to want to turn the level up a bit when you are mixing, but this will cause ear fatigue much quicker and the sound won't be as accurate as what you hear at very low level signals. To test this, try listening to a song that you can't understand the lyrics to. Now, turn it down. Chances are, you will hear more of the lyrics and they will be much clearer then at a loud volume.

Here's what I do: Whenever I feel the urge to turn up the volume a little, I turn it down instead. Just a touch. Of course you can't have it too low, or you won't hear anything. Try it. I think you will be pleasantly suprised.
pat hamm was here...

robbneu 2004-02-23 23:58

Jerome,

Dave's suggestion is a pretty good one. I use headphones, speakers, computer speakers, etc. all the time, but listen to my stuff on ALL of them before "finalizing" a mix. I don't necessarily think there is a magical method to it all, but find that if you listen to enough different setups, you eventually find something that you can be happy with for your final mix.

Good luck!

Robb

toonster 2004-02-24 00:16

Headphone mixing isn't recommended, maybe for referencng how your mastering went. Like said above, a pair of decent monitor speakers will help give a better impression of the sound.

You do get studio headphones, however most of these carry a higher impedance and may need a suitable headphone/mic amp.

Listen to your mix at a normal level and then turn it up now and again, to reflect on what it sounds like - such as is too bassy (muddy) or is there is too much treble of high-end hiss.

I normally render around about -6dB so can use a mastering app to boost and cut frequencies which I feel are neccesary.

vanillaNaz 2004-02-24 11:16

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm gonne try mixing on my speakers and try the volume trick. Hope this works for me, kinda always have the urge to increase the volume when i hear good music :(

Maybe buy me some better speakers when i get the hang of it.

Thanks again,
Jer0me.

vanillaNaz 2004-02-24 16:27

Another question..

How important is the amplifyer with a set of speakers? Do i need a good amplifyer aswell? or is a good set of speakers enough?

Thanks,
Jer0me.

FlexOffset 2004-02-24 22:31

Look into Active (self-powered) monitors

If I were you, I'd look into Active monitors.
The ADAM monitors are fantastic in my opinion. I'm about to shell out for the S3A model soon.
They also make P11, P22, etc for different uses (midfield, nearfield, etc).

...don't really know what your price range is, but you will get good translation with the ADAMs.
I've had pretty good luck with translating mixes to different audio systems using my Sennheiser HD600 headphones, but I must concur with the others, you really need monitors to get it best.

ohmegav 2004-02-26 03:50

yes u need monitor speakers but having a headphone...

...(a decent one) can be handy.

I'm in the same situation as you are. I'm pissing off the neighbours here in my apartment and I just bought good monitor headphones (Audio Technica ATHM40fs). The Sennheiser HD600, (mentioned by FlexOffset) and the Sennheiser HD650 (world's best headphone) are examples of other very good (and pricie) headphones!

Check http://www.head-fi.org/ for details.

The ATHM40fs has a flat response and I'll be able to monitor my basses easier, since I can't crank up the sound here.

The thing is that your final listening should be done with the use of the monitor speakers.

But, yes, go ahead and get yourself some decent headphones.

AVB
headphone forum :)

EnochLight 2004-02-26 05:56

Audio Technica ATHM40fs

http://www.nympheas.org/pictures/reason2.jpg
:The ATHM40fs has a flat response and I'll be able to monitor my basses easier, since I can't crank up the sound here.

Yeah, I've got the Audio Technica ATHM40fs too - they're the first pair of decent flat monitoring headphones that I have found that allows me to wear my glasses at the same time and still remain comfortable. They sound great; highly recommended!

Cheers,

EnochLight