Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sound Design Job Market (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=71317)

brento1138 2004-04-26 10:31

Sound Design Job Market

http://www3.telus.net/brentsilk/etcbanner1.jpg
Hey there. I was wondering if anyone knows how the market is for jobs in sound design. I've been told it's not great, but what about video game companies? Surely they need foley artists.

I was thinking about going to Vancouver Film School for the sound design program for visual media (www.vfs.com). I'd be dropping $25,000 CAN on it though... which means a large student loan. Anyone think this is a bad idea? I mean, it's what I want to do, for sure, but is it realistic? Is there a job market out there for us? Or would I starve?

Anyone here work on video games, films, or just have any comments about sound design for visual media?

ETCdarktrance

EditEd4TV 2004-04-26 15:46

Re: Sound Design Job Market

http://bauman.freewebspace.com/images/Ed4Prop2b.jpg
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and it seems as though just like everything else around here, it's who you know baby. You can have the average joe talent and not get anywhere. You can be really really talented and not get anywhere. The only way you get in is if you're extremely talented, and/or you've got a buddy who can get you a foot in the door. Or you do an internship as an assistant to the assistant janitor, and you schmooze as much as possible as you empty the trashcans of the elite. Just kidding. There are some very cool people in those positions - rightfully so. But it's a hard market to push into. I've been trying for a good 3 to 4 years to get into all sorts of local bay area places (Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Ranch, Sony Entertainment, Sega, Leap Frog Entertainment, etc...) and it's been an uphill struggle. I think if you're young and have the opportunity to get a degree under your belt, you would have a better chance at it than I did - expose your brain to as much information as possible, learn ALL the tools of the trade, stay up to date and current from all the magazines and shows and seminars and what not, get plugged in everywhere you can, and just MAYBE it'll happen... or you'll dwindle away as I did and look back and realize you may have just missed your boat... sigh.... but there are other boats to be caught. :)

:Hey there. I was wondering if anyone knows how the market is for jobs in sound design. I've been told it's not great, but what about video game companies? Surely they need foley artists.
:
:I was thinking about going to Vancouver Film School for the sound design program for visual media (www.vfs.com). I'd be dropping $25,000 CAN on it though... which means a large student loan. Anyone think this is a bad idea? I mean, it's what I want to do, for sure, but is it realistic? Is there a job market out there for us? Or would I starve?
:
:Anyone here work on video games, films, or just have any comments about sound design for visual media?
:
I made this...

almccallum 2004-04-26 16:54

:I was thinking about going to Vancouver Film School for the sound design program for visual media (www.vfs.com).

I agree with ed in that more knowledge is always good. I have pretty much the degree that you are talking about and it has served me well but in terms of what I know and what I can do but as for jobs good luck. If you are willing to move to where the job is you can probably get one. UBISOFT needs a Sound desginer in Asia! Go to school it is good. But unfortunatly don't quit your day job.

andrew
AndrewLow MP3's

mikhalt 2004-04-27 03:15

::I was thinking about going to Vancouver Film School for the sound design program for visual media (www.vfs.com).

Hello this is mikhalt; VFS is a great school, for reason, pro-tools and anything Digital in terms of Sound design. They have alot of emphasis on convergence technologies (Pro-tools)(HD1, HD3 systems etc.), but not that much of "stand-alone" Analog technologies, like Radar software program and such. They have ALOT of connexions into the industry.

In fact I took a course there, I got alot out of the course, so if your looking for a Digital Sound design school for visual media(very digital, post-modern, and "marketable")` and for connections too, Go to VFS.

Here is a sample list of their courses for the VFS Sound design program (yikes 26, G's I'm looking at the Van Arts Institute:) I think their more balanced then VFS(Analog + Digital, plus Connections that is)

Physics of audio
Psychology of sound
Synthesis fundamentals
Basic electronic theory
Digidesign Pro Tools 101
Reason synthesis
History of film sound
Reaktor
Introduction to MIDI
Digital Signal Processing
Music theory & history
Sound editing for film
Recording in audio post-production
Mixing in audio post-production
Advanced sound synthesis
Pro Tools 201
ISDN-networked audio facilities
Pro Tools 210M
Pre-production on final projects
Post-production in music recording
Sound editing
Synchronization and mixing for picture
Pro Tools HD3, Avid Option XL & Control 24s
Core portfolio production
5.1 surround sound mixing & encoding, & mastering
Pro Tools 201P curriculum
Digidesign 48-channel ProControl
Surround encoding
Equipment maintenance/troubleshooting
Final portfolios completed
Portfolios presented to jury of instructors & students
peace

Mikhalt music

aiwendel 2004-04-27 06:11

:Hey there. I was wondering if anyone knows how the market is for jobs in sound design. I've been told it's not great, but what about video game companies? Surely they need foley artists.

Yeah, we do.

My company seems to need to hire a new sound designer every year or so. Our sound lead/composer has been at his job for years, but his second-in-command is a hotseat.

In my company's case, it's not who you know, it's what's your timing like. When we need a dude, we post a job opening. All applicants then submit a sound test (working with existing files, and original design). The best man wins, it's that simple. We don't care about pedigree or what your favorite tools are.

FWIW, I work for a smallish game company, not one of the big big studios. Of course, that means that even the lowly sound designer (truly one of the low men on the totem pole) gets to influence game design as well as dictate program design; for example, I'm having to really expand our sound engine to cope with what my lil' sound dude is putting out.

Keep your eye on game sound; you're correct in thinking that there's a market out there.