Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New track: Arctic Wanderer - Comments appreciated (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=72520)

Pixar 2004-06-19 18:33

New track: Arctic Wanderer - Comments appreciated

http://129.241.146.251/hillestad/bf_avatar.png
I hereby invite you to listen to my very first original tune "Arctic Wanderer".
It's an ambient tune with no rhythm and everything is improvised with no editing afterwards. I spent only half an hour actually recording it, but more than 3 hours went in to experimenting and designing the sounds and effects.

Some credit goes to Ma Ja Le & James Johnson for inspiring me with their tune "Methane Sea" witch I heard on Drone Zone Internet radio a while ago.

This ambient tune may or may not be "your cup of tea" but I hope you'll find it relaxing at least. Comments and criticism will be appreciated.

Enjoy it, and remember to have your subwoofer switched on ;)

/Joachim
Arctic Wanderer (2,64mb RPS)

Stompp 2004-06-19 20:15

Have you announced an older version of this before?

Hmm. Seems very familiar, I'm almost certain I have an MP3 of it lying around. I'm sure I remember the crystal clear mix and those lush pads giving the track an airy atmosphere. It's good stuff, I enjoyed it a lot. I still get the feeling I've heard this before, but it was worth listening to anyway. :)
Stompp

kfabel 2004-06-19 20:53

Re: New track: Arctic Wanderer - Comments appreciated

I hereby invite you to listen to my very first original tune "Arctic Wanderer".
:It's an ambient tune with no rhythm and everything is improvised with no editing afterwards. I spent only half an hour actually recording it, but more than 3 hours went in to experimenting and designing the sounds and effects.
:
:Some credit goes to Ma Ja Le & James Johnson for inspiring me with their tune "Methane Sea" witch I heard on Drone Zone Internet radio a while ago.
:
:This ambient tune may or may not be "your cup of tea" but I hope you'll find it relaxing at least. Comments and criticism will be appreciated.
:
:Enjoy it, and remember to have your subwoofer switched on ;)
:
:/Joachim

Hi,

I think it's absolutely awesome, this is _just_ my cup of tea! The feeling in this piece is so intense... and all that really done in a matter of hours? Wow, I am working towards some presentable results myself, but I seem to need weeks or even more.

There are only a handful times when clipping occurs, which is quite audible actually, even if I don't look at the red light. It is when the pads plus the melody are both swelling up to their max together. I found it helps turning back the damage control on the overdrive for the lead synth a bit, but only on these spots, to avoid losing out on the overall sound which I find just great. Thought you might like to add an automation lane to take care of that.

Thank you for this piece of music, I'd definitely buy the CD!

Klaus
:-)

Pixar 2004-06-20 00:51

Yes, that's true. (MP3 link inside)

It's true, I've announced this track before exactly one month ago, but then I was not sure what to name it.
The MP3 you have is named "Arctic Breeze", if you do a search on Google using those keywords, you'll see why I've changed it to "Arctic Wanderer", btw thanks goes to tranzman for his name suggestions.

Hehe, the mix can't get any clearer, that's mostly because there's so few sounds in the mix. I used only 7 stereo channels on the mixer, effects included. Less *is* more in this case :)

Yes, the pad is quite airy though I didn't had that "element" in mind when I designed that sound. It's entirely based on the pink noise sample found in the Malstr

Stompp 2004-06-20 01:10

Re: Yes, that's true. (MP3 link inside)

Haven't checked if you have released anything new in the past year or so, perhaps I should, because I know that all your work is worth listening to :)

Well, I've only been releasing music for a year so you might have missed quite a bit... ;)

And thanks for the MP3. :)
Stompp

Pixar 2004-06-20 01:24

Glad you liked it! :D

First of all, thanks for your kind feedback.
Yes, I managed to do it all in a few hours, and I was quite surprised myself how quick it was done. I learned to ignore minor technical details and focus on the artistic aspects of music creations. I remember being so focused on what I was doing that I completely forgot about time, so 3 hours on sound design and experimentation is a rough estimate. When I had all the sounds in place, it was just a matter of playing a few chords on the pad with various degrees of complexity and harmonics, and then layer the lead sound on top. The rest came along automagically. This is how I believe I managed to create it on such a short amount of time.

Yes, it's a intense piece, it evokes some of my deepest feelings and it may even give a hint of how I feel about life as it is today. It comes from the bottom of my heart, and maybe that's why I'm so satisfied with it.

Clipping you say? Well, that's one of the technical details I basically ignored. I just figured, if it sounds right, it *is* right! According to Adobe Audition, there's only 3 possibly clipped samples in the MP3 version of it.

I'm glad you liked it and you're welcome.
I'll be studying for a computer engineering degree for the next 4 years or so, so don't hold your breath for a CD-release from me. I'll continue making music on a hobby basis, that's for sure.
Who knows... Maybe the concept of buying music on CD's has been terminated by that time?

/Joachim
Arctic Wanderer (7,07mb MP3)

kfabel 2004-06-20 11:27

Re: Glad you liked it! :D

:Who knows... Maybe the concept of buying music on CD's has been terminated by that time?
:

I definitely hope not! I still like buying CDs, I am very much a collector and love hoarding tangible items. I believe there is hope, since books also haven't suffered much although there are electronic alternatives. Maybe for "perishable information" like newspapers it will get more difficult, but I have no problem with that, I'd rather keep the forests.

CD release or not is up to you of course. I wanted to express that this song of yours certainly doesn't sound like amateur stuff anymore, it's absolutely worthy to be published and to pay money for.

The clipping indeed does occur in very few spots only. A lot of music from other people clips much more, but often you don't perceive it that strongly when it occurs on drums or so. The lead voice of your track, being mainly colored by the carefully balanced overdrive, is much more sensitive to that. I find it disturbs the atmosphere when all of a sudden the crispy clear voice flips over, feels like the Arctic Wanderer stumbles and falls face flat into the snow. But other than that, like I said, purrrfect!

Keep it up, looking forward to hearing more from you!

Klaus
:-)))

Pixar 2004-06-20 13:29

No clipping here...

I just downloaded the RPS myself, and I listened to it while carefully watching the clipping indicator. To my surprise it does not light up here.

The lead voice disturbs the atmosphere you say? Is it because of audio output clipping you are experiencing or because it swells a bit too much in certain parts? Too agressive perhaps?
Is there anything I could do to improve this?
It's good to have you to point this out, this way I can learn more.

A CD release would be fun! The only thing that stops me from releasing one is the amount of material to put on it. So far, I have only "Arctic Wanderer" and one more that is 100% original. The rest is basically remakes of other peoples work.

Grateful for your feedback.
/Joachim
My music

kfabel 2004-06-20 15:03

Re: No clipping here...

I just downloaded the RPS myself, and I listened to it while carefully watching the clipping indicator. To my surprise it does not light up here.
:

That is strange! Just checked it again, and the red light clearly comes up at positions 37.2, 55.4, 62.2, 70.4, 76.4, 77.4, 85.2, and 87.2. I thought we have a digital product here, that behaves identically when given the same input...
Wait a sec, the only difference I can imagine is that I am replaying at 22 kHz only, because my PC is too old and slow (I am saving up for another one). Don't know how that works internally, but could that indeed make a difference? This would be a hint for the Props that there is something to fix. If it works fine on your machine, it would be interesting to compare the exported audio.

:The lead voice disturbs the atmosphere you say? Is it because of audio output clipping you are experiencing or because it swells a bit too much in certain parts? Too agressive perhaps?

I was referring to the clipping only, because the overdrive setting of this sound is so extremely sensitive. Clipping is actually the same as the overdrive itself (would be better expressed the other way around), so it sounds as if you would suddenly turn up the damage control. The swelling is great, to a good portion it is what creates this dense atmosphere, I don't find it agressive.

:Is there anything I could do to improve this?

Mentioned it in the first post, I found it helps slightly reducing the overdrive damage control just over these particular spots. If you like, I can do it if you would send me the rns file (kfa at gmx dot net). Well, we don't know each other, I can only promise to not give it to anyone or rip your sounds.

:A CD release would be fun! The only thing that stops me from releasing one is the amount of material to put on it.

Well, if you don't have to live on it, keep your own pace. Rush releases always spoil the quality of the artwork.

:The rest is basically remakes of other peoples work.

That is exactly the stage where I am stuck right now. In the meantime I can make sounds that are my own, but I couldn't really come up with an original composition yet. I seem to always play other people's chords and melodies. Currently I am mingling Klaus Schulze's "Chromengel" with Anne Clarke's "Our Darkness", wonder what that will become one day. :-?

:
:Grateful for your feedback.

Grateful for your music. I am envious.

Klaus
:-)

kfabel 2004-06-20 15:26

Me stupid, forgot there was the MP3 link further up

Completely overlooked the mp3 until now, checked it and it sounds clean like arctic air... dunno, so it must have to do with my crappy equipment. Forget about what I said, put that on CD as is :-)))

Klaus