Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New song: "Isn't This What You Wanted?" (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=75280)

adfielding 2004-10-16 14:53

New song: "Isn't This What You Wanted?"

http://www.soundclick.com/images/adamfielding.jpg
Ahh, it's nice to post here again... I need to come here more often, methinks!

Anyway, I just finished uploading an MP3 to my Soundclick page - the song's called "Isn't This What You Wanted?" and it's a short ambient orchestral-type piece. You can grab it at the link below.

Feedback is very greatly appreciated! :)
Click here to download "Isn't This What You Wanted?"

Stompp 2004-10-16 16:59

Re: New song: "Isn't This What You Wanted?"

"Short atmospheric soundtrack piece." Hmmm, reminiscent idea... ;)

Well you know what I'm going to say already, because I have kind of told you lol, but I'll say again - compositionally it's beautiful, but for me the Orkester has really lost its touch. It just sounds thin and mechanical. So I think it's time you went out and mugged someone, and then used that money to fund a drugs cartel, and then use the profits from the drug cartel to fund some new sample libraries. I think it creates an interesting mood though, maybe a kind of suspense - one of those moments in a film when someone comes to a realisation and then there's a flashback and some frivolous blonde explains to the bloke he was adopted and is in fact a half cyborg, half deodorant military weapon, and that he must run from the government to escape making the world smell like Sure For Men. Or something like that. My point is it's so typical of you - cinematic in style and epic in scale (albeit a bit short, but then mine was too as you rightly said so I guess I'll leave that heh). Mad Bad Uber Ad does it again. Still, you'll have to forgive me for bitching about the Orkester, especially given how much I used to use it. Still, I had to waffle a lot to get anything more than a "less keen on Orkester, good track, well done" reply to this so it can't be a bad thing if my only criticism for a piece of music is the samples used to make it eh? Nice one. :)
Stompp at Soundclick

Stompp 2004-10-16 17:03

Oh, and...

Don't suppose this had anything to do with "Is That What Everybody Wants" from Solaris soundtrack? When you mentioned 60 sounded like it the other day, and considering the similarities in title and style, between yours and good old Martinez', it just struck a chord with me. :)
Stompp at Soundclick

adfielding 2004-10-16 18:02

Damn, foiled again!

:Don't suppose this had anything to do with "Is That What Everybody Wants" from Solaris soundtrack? When you mentioned 60 sounded like it the other day, and considering the similarities in title and style, between yours and good old Martinez', it just struck a chord with me. :)

Guess I've been rumbled - yes indeed, the titles are similar but I hadn't listened to the Solaris soundtrack in a while... I wasn't planning on the title being *that* similar! And yes, 60 also inspired me to try something more cinematic - I hadn't written anything without using lots of synths for a little bit so I thought it'd be a nice change. Guess I should change the description to "A nod to Stompp and Cliff Martinez" :)

I had to laugh at the drug cartel idea! When I'm arrested and the police ask me what came over me, I'll just use the following line:

"I just wanted a really nice orchestral sample bank, dammit!"

I don't hate the Orkester bank, but yeah... I've gone off it lately.
-Ad

caja 2004-10-16 19:09

Adam,

Nice track. The subtlety of layering is excellent, and the production top-notch. It was a little slow, but that made it relaxing.

Great work!

blue solomon
Blue Solomon Homepage

StealthMod 2004-10-16 19:30

"I've seen things you... people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate.

All those... moments... will be lost in time, like tears... in rain."

Yikes! I listened to this track and the Focus and Raincatcher tracks shortly right after it. Your stuff reminds me of Vangelis' Blade Runner, and in a good way. It all sounds different, but it has that dark, cinematic sci-fi quality about it.

Good stuff.

BigT 2004-10-16 23:48

Hey Adz,

Yeah, i've been neglecting here aswell, just seems pretty quiet at the moment....?
Man, if i was to be inspired to make an orchestral piece, i think this would help!!
Amazing work, again!! [i'm just gonna copy and paste that in from now on!! LOL!] seriously though, depth and emotion, just too short [but nothing can go forever, right?]
My recent tracks are a far cry from this calm, relaxing place. Think dark, distorted mayhem, LOL!
On the orkester thing, you can get better samples, but nothing will replace the real thing.............

BigT

Smashed Toy Noise

soulmove 2004-10-17 02:10

very nice indeed. you didn't rush anything. the listener knew where they wanted the song to go, then you took them someplace better.
muy bueno
or... muy bien... crap
no hable espanol
great!
-tphp-

robbneu 2004-10-17 16:05

More good stuff! You weren't kidding when you said that it was a "short" piece, though. Just when I was getting into it, it ended on me. :)

You know, the Orkester samples didn't bother me that much. I think that the track uses them well and plays to their strengths, rather than tipping their hand to the listener. So, although I'm sure it's bad luck to disagree with the great and powerful Stompp, I don't think the samples are really that distracting at all.

Good song. I would have liked to hear more of it, but you said it was short, so I guess I shouldn't complain. :) Any thoughts about trying a 10 to 15 minute piece? I think given your style and layering, that would be right up your alley.

Take care,

Robb
Grumpus at Soundclick

adfielding 2004-10-17 23:13

Cheers to Mr. Solomon :)

:Nice track. The subtlety of layering is excellent, and the production top-notch. It was a little slow, but that made it relaxing.

Thanks - it had been a while since I'd written anything really cinematic-sounding, and Stompp's 60 got me wondering why. I'm somewhat glad that people liked it, though!
-Ad