Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Recording Question - But Wait! This one IS different! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=77310)

amyzan 2005-01-03 04:27

Recording Question - But Wait! This one IS different!

Okay, I just bought Reason 2.5 for my boyfriend who is having a heck of a time with a certain thing he wants to do.

I understand it's wonderful ways in the sequence department and I have been reading over some of the past questions regarding Reason and the ability or not the ability to record.

The Malstrom synthesizer has some great sounds and my boyfriend recorded a wonderful track using a Midi keyboard. That was great and dandy, and we know the recording device will record the dial changes and what not, however, the thing he really wants to do is to have the recording device be able to record the actual instrument changes he is using.

What I mean by that is, he may have started the track using Arpeggio1 and then while it is playing, he changes it to AmbientChord2. Those changes do not seem to be acknowledged by the recording device.

(Oh and before anyone asks, "Why don't you just make another Malstrom Sequence track and use a different instrument and edit between the two?"

The answer is, in this case, he's switching up many instruments within seconds of each other, in which case the editing could take hours and also take away that "live & freeflow" expression.)

I assume that means that the instruments being changed are outside of Reason's recording parameters (probably an advantage for many people), but in this (possibly rare) instance, we want it to record.

So, based on my understanding of what I've read in the forum and around the internet and via support, I'm better off using an outside recording source (a different program perhaps?) to record the raw sounds that are emmiting from Reason.

1) Is this possible?

2) What programs will do this and does anyone know how they will do this?

We've attempted to use a basic Sound Recorder to try to pick up the sounds but I'm guessing maybe the format cannot be understood when it's not Published by Reason? (In that case it would be pointless for us as it takes away the "live" editing.)

I read up a bit that Sonar might work. Can anyone confirm that?

And above all is there any possible "switch" in Reason to have it be able to record instrument changes within one Sequence layer?

Any advice is better than where we are currently officially stuck.

Thank you!

- Amyzan & Kavamaker

Yasoo 2005-01-03 06:18

Re: Recording Question - But Wait! This one IS different!

I think I see what you are talking about. He is doing these changes while the Reason sequencer is in playback mode? Wow, you don't get any clicks or pops or awkward sound changes doing it this way? Yeah, you can't really do what you want to do like you pointed out. :) I was thinking you could create the multiple tracks and multiple devices and mute and unmute the channels on the mixer because the mute button on the mixer's can be automated. You can also chain mixers to get as many channels as you need. Then you don't have to edit the midi data, just duplicate the entire track and maltrom's as many times as you need. Then you'll just have to change the sounds in each Malstrom You still need to know which patches you are going to use in advance, one channel/track for each. Then you setup a sequencer track for the mixer, click on the left side to get the midi symbol by it, then hit record. Then it will record you hitting the mute and unmute. Or you can draw them in too.

If you just don't want to do any extra work like you are saying, you do have a little dilema, but you can do this. My first instinct is to use another multitrack recording program that supports Rewire (like Sonar) and record Reason's Rewired outputs. However, in Sonar (maybe you can do it in Logic, Pro Tools, or some other one) you can't record a Rewired device. You can only bounce it down and that would require the same automation you are lacking. So, you can do it the old fashioned way: run your outputs into your inputs, turn off direct monitoring, and record it into a program like Sonar, Pro Tools, etc. You just have to keep a couple things in mind. If your soundcard has multiple outputs, you can set them to different outputs in each program, or you will get a soundcard output drivers conflict error message. Or, you could disable the outputs in the software you are using to do the recording and just enable the inputs, then the outputs from Reason won't conflict with them. Some soundcards also have switches to let you auto route the outputs back into the inputs without using cables. Most important thing of all is what I said earlier, disable direct monitoring on your soundcard or you will get feedback.

ajkandy 2005-01-03 08:18

easy...

As far as I know, there is no program change automation in Reason, aside from Matrix or ReDrum pattern changes, so essentially there are only two ways to do what you ask :

1. Use as many Malstroms as you have programs, each on their own track, and just record different blocks of MIDI notes for each one. No need to have them play all the way through or whatever, no need even for automation really unless you want to record dynamic changes in filters or other knob twiddling :)

This however can be CPU-intensive on an older machine. In which case:

2. Output each Malstrom track as a separate audio file and / or mix down.

The easiest way to do this is to use proper multitrack recording software. Assigning each track to a different ReWire output in Reason, and then record each Malstrom on a separate audio track, you can then edit and tweak the timing, etc. there.

Ableton Live, Apple Logic, MOTU Digital Performer, Digidesign Pro Tools, and Steinberg Cubase can all do this, and there are probably many others as well.

This is the fastest way to do it: once all the ReWire outputs are assigned to corresponding audio tracks, just arm recording and press play.

A long, roundabout way to do it is to solo each Reason track one by one and then export the song as AIFF as many times as you need, but that's needlessly time-consuming!

tormod 2005-01-03 09:59

Wait for Reason 3 and use a Combinator! n/t

Okay, I just bought Reason 2.5 for my boyfriend who is having a heck of a time with a certain thing he wants to do.
:
:I understand it's wonderful ways in the sequence department and I have been reading over some of the past questions regarding Reason and the ability or not the ability to record.
:
:The Malstrom synthesizer has some great sounds and my boyfriend recorded a wonderful track using a Midi keyboard. That was great and dandy, and we know the recording device will record the dial changes and what not, however, the thing he really wants to do is to have the recording device be able to record the actual instrument changes he is using.
:
:What I mean by that is, he may have started the track using Arpeggio1 and then while it is playing, he changes it to AmbientChord2. Those changes do not seem to be acknowledged by the recording device.
:
:(Oh and before anyone asks, "Why don't you just make another Malstrom Sequence track and use a different instrument and edit between the two?"
:
:The answer is, in this case, he's switching up many instruments within seconds of each other, in which case the editing could take hours and also take away that "live & freeflow" expression.)
:
:I assume that means that the instruments being changed are outside of Reason's recording parameters (probably an advantage for many people), but in this (possibly rare) instance, we want it to record.
:
:So, based on my understanding of what I've read in the forum and around the internet and via support, I'm better off using an outside recording source (a different program perhaps?) to record the raw sounds that are emmiting from Reason.
:
:1) Is this possible?
:
:2) What programs will do this and does anyone know how they will do this?
:
:We've attempted to use a basic Sound Recorder to try to pick up the sounds but I'm guessing maybe the format cannot be understood when it's not Published by Reason? (In that case it would be pointless for us as it takes away the "live" editing.)
:
:I read up a bit that Sonar might work. Can anyone confirm that?
:
:And above all is there any possible "switch" in Reason to have it be able to record instrument changes within one Sequence layer?
:
:Any advice is better than where we are currently officially stuck.
:
:Thank you!
:
:- Amyzan & Kavamaker

MrCurry 2005-01-03 12:28

2.5 for your boyfriend?..

dang wish my girlfriend bought me 2.5 ... wait i don't have a girlfriend.. crap! guess i still gotta pay for things myself :(