Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Controlling any parameter from the Matrix Pattern sequencer (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=78267)

NevilleTubb 2005-02-12 10:53

Controlling any parameter from the Matrix Pattern sequencer

How about being able to control any parameter on any device - for instance the LENGTH parameter on a Redrum module - with the Matrix Pattern sequencer?

Here's my idea -

(1) You select the Matrix module. Connect the Matrix's MIDI out (yes, a new feature) to the Redrum's MIDI in (another new feature).

(2) You then select which MIDI controller data the Matrix will send (for example controller number 77) and then the Matrix will be able to control the length parameter for the Redrum module's channel 1.

(3) Then program the Matrix module in the usual way and you can the alter the length of the sample playback from the Matrix.

A spider midi merger and splitter would then also be useful. Plus all the Reason modules will need to have a MIDI in (small point!).

Just think of the possibilities!!!

djen 2005-02-14 09:28

yes and no

While this idea solves a lot of the routing issues, it also really overclomplicates things. Suddenly you're dealing with virtual busses rather than visible cables and such. Debugging what a particular parameter isn't controlling properly gets way more complex.

Either way, perhaps some day the props will decide to implement this kind of functionality to compliment CV. It would make it possible to do polyphonic matrixing and such. But this is one of those "don't hold your breath" sort of things.

blank 2005-02-14 14:50

Already possible (in 3.0, that is)

In 3.0 you can control any ReDrum parameter (including Length) with the Combinator's controls (4 knobs + 4 switches), and since you can in turn control the Combinator with a Matrix, all you need to do is stick a lonely ReDrum inside a Combi, and the Matrix either inside or outside it.

Needless to say this doesn't apply to just ReDrum, you can reach any parameter on any device*...

* = ...except, as usual, the NN-XT Programmer. Too much to handle, perhaps - to my knowledge you can have 512 zones on an NN-XT, and each zone has 66 parameters; meaning on the Combinator programmer you would have a selection menu with 33,792 items(!). Start scrolling on Monday and you'll find the parameter you're looking for on Thursday...

tormod 2005-02-14 15:03

Re: Already possible (in 3.0, that is)

:* = ...except, as usual, the NN-XT Programmer.

and malstr

Warmonger 2005-02-14 18:44

Re: Already possible (in 3.0, that is)

:* = ...except, as usual, the NN-XT Programmer. Too much to handle, perhaps - to my knowledge you can have 512 zones on an NN-XT, and each zone has 66 parameters; meaning on the Combinator programmer you would have a selection menu with 33,792 items(!). Start scrolling on Monday and you'll find the parameter you're looking for on Thursday...

The NN-XT format uses an unsigned long integer to index zones, so there should be 2^32 zones (and groups) possible. Unless it doesn't fully implement its own internal format! :o

But then, you'd probably run out of memory a little before you get to 4 billion zones. :D

djen 2005-02-15 08:52

NNXT is unpredictable, thats why it can't automate

Not only are the number of zones unpredictable, but so are the sample lengths. Sure, automating a percentage knob from 0 to 100% is possible with existing automation lane resolution (0 - 127 stages). However, if you do the shift+spin on the start, end, and loop knobs you'll notice that sample acuracy means the numbers are WAY out of the automation lane's resolution.

1 second of CD quality audio is 44,000 samples. This means that to properly automate those knobs you'd essentially need the automation lanes to be retooled to support an infinite resolution.

Warmonger 2005-02-15 09:17

Re: NNXT is unpredictable, thats why it can't automate

Nothing's really unpredictable. There's no parameter on the NN-XT that goes beyond 32-bit resolution, including song length. There's a maximum of 2^32 samples in any wave file loaded in the NN-XT.

The only way automation is feasible is with a "current zone" parameter that designates which zone is being modified at the moment, and 32-bit automation in all lanes that use that much data. It's not impossible, but it's not particularly easy to implement, and more importantly, not very easy to use.

NevilleTubb 2005-02-15 09:54

Re: Controlling any parameter from the Matrix Pattern sequencer

I use eXT (http://www.xt-hq.com/) a lot as a VSTi in which I can then open up other VST instruments/fx, connect them in various ways and control pretty much any VST's parameters with the many available VST MIDI fx (example at http://rozzer.net/). If such units could be incorporated in Reason I would be a very, very happy person. But I expect this is rather more tricky than it seems and not on the top of most peoples' want list. So I will just have to remain a very happy person with Reason.

Warmonger 2005-02-15 10:29

Re: Controlling any parameter from the Matrix Pattern sequen

Why don't you just use MIDI Yoke (or your favorite virtual MIDI cable) to route eXT's MIDI out to Reason's MIDI in? I do that all the time.

NevilleTubb 2005-02-15 10:47

Re: Controlling any parameter from the Matrix Pattern sequen

I didn't think of that! I will give it a go later (I must sleeeeeeeeeeeeep but I want to try it out, but I must sleeeeeep, but I want to........)