Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How powerful of a computer is needed to run Protools -Reason (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=88152)

Auditory 2006-02-10 01:40

How powerful of a computer is needed to run Protools -Reason

How powerful of a computer is needed to run Protools and Reason simultaneously? I currently have a Pentium 3.4 processor and 2 gigs of ram. Reason and protools runs semi smooth until the song gets about halfway finished. At which time often my computer is not powerful enough to run both together and will not allow me to finish my tracks. Forcing me to choose finishing the song in either reason or protools (Which is an extremely large pain in the arse). I got the computer thinking it would be more then powerful enough to do everything i needed to do, which obviously it is not. Would a powermac beable to handle protools and reason packed full of sounds etc. without stopping audio?
THE BEST MUSIC DONE ON REASON PERIOD

gabrielr 2006-02-14 20:37

Re: How powerful of a computer is needed to run Protools -Re

obviously, it depends on how you're using those programs. Here's a little experiment: make a Reason song containing nothing but a Subtractor (no effects, nothing), then Rewire it through Pro Tools without any plugins or processing. If you can't make that song play as long as you want, something's wrong with your system.

Every time you add an audio track or RTAS plugin in Pro Tools, or add an instrument or effect in Reason, you're taxing more of the computer's horsepower. Some plugins and Reason devices take more juice than others. (Reverb plugs are notorious for this; in Reason, the Malstrom uses more CPU than the Subtractor under most circumstances.) So asking how powerful a computer you need is meaningless.

Obviously your current song has reached the limits of your computer's power. You can either get a new computer or strip down the song, possibly by bouncing Reason tracks to audio one at a time, then deleting their devices, until the song plays through.

saxon 2006-02-15 00:23

http://images.soundclick.com/04/imag...er_1605759.jpg
hi there
you seem to know what your talking about,
i have never used pro tools, im used to using hardware and i use reason and q base sx.
is pro tools better than q base for mixing.
cheers
link to my tunes

gabrielr 2006-02-15 00:30

dunno, i've never used Q Base. what features is it missing that you wish it had?

Auditory 2006-02-15 01:23

obviously, it depends on how you're using those programs. Here's a little experiment: make a Reason song containing nothing but a Subtractor (no effects, nothing), then Rewire it through Pro Tools without any plugins or processing. If you can't make that song play as long as you want, something's wrong with your system.
:
:Every time you add an audio track or RTAS plugin in Pro Tools, or add an instrument or effect in Reason, you're taxing more of the computer's horsepower. Some plugins and Reason devices take more juice than others. (Reverb plugs are notorious for this; in Reason, the Malstrom uses more CPU than the Subtractor under most circumstances.) So asking how powerful a computer you need is meaningless.
:
:Obviously your current song has reached the limits of your computer's power. You can either get a new computer or strip down the song, possibly by bouncing Reason tracks to audio one at a time, then deleting their devices, until the song plays through.

yeah...im aware of this, My computer starts boggling down after about 10-14 channels of reason are filled (complete with effects etc.) and 4-6 effects on protools are in use. I thought a pentium 3.4 with 2 gigs of ram would beable to do this plus much more, apparently i was wrong. Would a powermac have as severe limitations? Rewiring is such a cpu hog :(
THE BEST MUSIC DONE ON REASON PERIOD

gabrielr 2006-02-15 04:08

Would a powermac have as severe limitations?

It's impossible to predict. My understanding is that a dual or dual-core processor is useful when ReWiring, because PT can use one processor and Reason the other. i have no idea if this is true, but my old Powermac with a dual-1.2GHz upgrade works pretty well. Without knowing the specifics of your song (what effects, what devices etc.) i can't say if my computer would be able to run it or not.

But i can say this: It may be that, no matter what computer you're using, you'll always just keep adding effects and devices until you reach the ceiling. This is certainly true for me. I take it for granted that at a certain point i'm going to have to bounce my Reason tracks down to audio before adding anything else.