Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question with Stereo Imaging... (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=88600)

Trnzaddict 2006-03-02 01:17

Question with Stereo Imaging...

Hello...I have a couple of questions with Stereo Imaging in Reason. 1....I hear people talk about Stereo Imaging and Stereo Widening.Is there a difference between the 2 or are they the same? . Basically, I'm not ripping Reason at all(i love it), but i'm tired of everytime i want to get a good stereo effect from like a trance bass, or trance lead, i have to rely on the Unison Device, but then i have the ugly flanging, chorus stuff all over my sound. Even hihats and stuff-unless i add unison to it, it sounds very mono. And whenever i use the Mclass stereo imager, it doesn't even change half the sounds i try to use with it. The green bars stay right in the center, no matter how much i adjust the Wide option on it. What I'm looking for is the effect of the Unison, but without the chorusy/flangy sound it adds.

Any suggestions? Could it be Stereo Widening instead that i need for my tracks rather than stereo Imaging?

What can i do?

Thanks

doinky 2006-03-02 06:56

Okay I'm going to start this thread, somebody finish it

I'll admit, despite my knowledge and length of time owning reason, the stereo enhancer is a puzzling device for me still.

But here's something I've learned. First off your green lights staying in the middle is basically showing you that you aren't using it right. A quick routing of a reverb before it would normally do the trick.

Anyways, I don't understand why this works, but do this instead:

1) Hook up your device to channel 1 on the mixer.

2) Now hook up a reverb unit and the stereo imager in a chain to and from the return 1 on the back of the mixer.

3) Hook up serperate wires to the seperate out on the back of the stereo imager to channel 2 on the mixer.

4) Set lo band on the back of the stereo imager, turn up the return 1 on channel 1 of the mixer and play with the knobs on the stereo imager. If done right you should hear a pretty realistic stereo stretch.

But I'm no guru. That's why I hope others chime in on this to teach us all the right way.

Cheers! :)

bsork 2006-03-02 12:02

Re: Okay I'm going to start this thread, somebody finish it

: As far as I can understand, the MC Stereo thing won't "create" stereo out of mono - it will only make an existing stereo signal narrower or wider (or both...) depending on how you use it.
Besides, it dooubles as sort of a crossover filter.

Unison, chorus and flanging are all based on modulating the time of one or more delayed signals, which may sound irritating with their different variations of "swirl" and detuning. A short DDL on the opposite side of the stereo field would often do the trick instead.

Be aware that what can sound almost like a panned ping-pong effect in headphones, will often sound like "wide mono" (if such a thing exists...) in the speakers.

wouterschakel 2006-03-02 13:17

The stereo imager indeed only takes the present difference between left and right and makes that bigger or smaller.

The reason a reverb introduces stereo is because it's a good reverb. This means: left and right are not treated separately and exactly the same, but different. I believe they also interact. (reverberation from left gets (partially) re-reverberated on the right and stuff like that, I don't know exactly)

Trnzaddict 2006-03-03 01:28

: Thanks for the opinions guys....i appreciate it. Mixing and Stereo Imaging/panning is the biggest problem i have in my mixes. It sucks because my trance tracks are nice sounding,-the energy is there but the mixing/panning is mediocre at best and therefore I'm embarrased to try to put them on like downloads.com or some site like that. I wish there was a software u just run finished mixes through and it just puts all the sound levels where they should be and so forth.

Ogggy 2006-03-03 10:40

Re: Question with Stereo Imaging...

Let's point out a couple of things. First, yes, experiment with short DDL delays sent hard to one side (dry usually hard other side) when confronted with this problem. We all used to do it, because that's the way we used to have to do it, or that's the way we first learned how to do it, or it just plain sounded good, and we used it a lot, even with 'verbs.

Second, don't forget that you can turn the "swirl" off on these devices, by turning the mod amt down to off, then use the back panel CV to inject the goods according to plan. End swirl, connect control.

-Oggy

flotzilla 2006-03-04 06:05

Quick and easy mono to stereo

For stere output devices:

Insert a DDL-1 into the right or left signal chain only. Then set the 'Units' control to MS and adjust the number of miliseconds to around 11. I get good results around that point. It gives a good stereo image without phasing artifacts. Then set the Feedback control to a value of 1 or 2. Set the Dry/Wet control to 100% wet. So you should have 1 input and 1 output only for the DDL-1. You can use the Pan control to modulate the output level of the DDL since only 1 output is being used.

Route the non-DDL chanel into one channel of the stereo imager and the DDL's output into the other. Whammo! Instant stereo w/o phasing effects.

For the mono output having Sub, just use a Spider to split the signal and use one split as the dry signal and the other as the delayed signal.

That tiny little bit of time delay between the two channels is more than enough for the imager to really be able to work some magic.

Hope this helped.

Thomas

doinky 2006-03-04 16:49

So did you try my wiring technique yet that I mentioned?

Just curious how you found it. Indeed delaying a channel a bit will open up mono sounds better for the imager to work on. Many sounds tend to be mono and the imager won't work them without delay.

Cheers! :)