Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Feature Suggestions (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=89507)

ictustwin 2006-04-11 09:31

Feature Suggestions

can Props tell us lot in limbo here - the people who buy your software, which 'suggestions' have actually been agreed upon and been carried out and implemented into the current version (or previous versons) and who suggested the feature? Just curious. There's sooooo many suggestions and not enough updates in my opinion - no wonder people get pi**ed off when they hear NOTHING of what's actually happening in future releases of Reason. C'mon guys, you're not Kraftwerk or NASA, or the FBI (all classic 'secretive' people) but manufacturers of a fun product.

So are any of our 'suggestions' in the pipeline????????? ;-)

qwan 2006-04-12 03:58

Re: Feature Suggestions

: can Props tell us lot in limbo here - the people who buy your software, which 'suggestions' have actually been agreed upon and been carried out and implemented into the current version (or previous versons) and who suggested the feature? Just curious. There's sooooo many suggestions and not enough updates in my opinion - no wonder people get pi**ed off when they hear NOTHING of what's actually happening in future releases of Reason. C'mon guys, you're not Kraftwerk or NASA, or the FBI (all classic 'secretive' people) but manufacturers of a fun product.
:
: So are any of our 'suggestions' in the pipeline????????? ;-)

i must admit, i share some of your concerns...
/Steve

flotzilla 2006-04-13 04:54

A few words in their defense...

* Disclaimer : I don't work for/with/at the Prop's, nor do I speak for them. *

The Props may not be saying anything about pending deivces/features for a couple resaons.

1) They 'could' be working on something no one else in the industry has done yet. If they blurt it out in the forums, then they lose their edge over the competition (i.e. the competition could start work on their own version of the widget).

2a) By not announcing release dates way in advance, they avoid the Microsoft Shuffle. The MS Shuffle means releasing software that kinda works to meet a deadline, then *having* to patch the crap out of it to get it to work properly.

2b) Also, by not announcing release dates early, they get people to buy the old version + update. For instance, when I bought 1.0 I was one week shy of the free 2.0 upgrade. This means I had to get Reason1.0 + upgrade, which costs more money than just R2.0, which means more revenue for them. Just like Honda isn't going to give you an '06 Civic just because you bought an '05 and like the '06 better.

As for what requested features have been implemented:

1) M-Class EQ. I remember seeing many requests for a mastering/more pro/more flexible/etc EQ a long time ago.

2a) M-Class Comp. Many were the requests for a better/more flexible/more pro/etc comp than the Comp-01.

2b) Ducker (MC Comp). I requested this one myself, but I was far from the only one asking for it.

3) RV-7000. Many people have, and still do, ask for more powerful and flexible FX devices (from R1.0).

4) NN-XT. I remember people asking for a more powerful and flexible sampler (from R1.0). Another one I asked for, as well as many others.

5) Scream-4. Yes, another item that I and many other asked for to replace the origianal distortion box. I never liked that thing. I've only used it twice. The Scream on the other hand gets used like a mo fo.

6) Combinator. The sweet, sweet Combi. This answered several major requests. I remember lots of people (me included) asking for a way that they could group selected devices into their own seperate and collapsable window mainly for neatness' sake. People used to ask for a synth with more than 2 Osc's.

7) The new browser was something that was asked for awhile back.

Remember, the Prop's are a business. They have lots of things to balance in order to make us happy enough to buy their products and still make them enough money to stay afloat financially. They have to create a marketing plan, product packaging, CD/DVD printing, prodcut delivery, etc. every time they release an update or full version. All that stuff costs money.

As an example, lets say the Props decided to release the M-Class suite seperately from the Combinator in order to achieve more frquent updates. In order to pay for the stuff listed above, they would have to charge about $100 for each seperate upate. So, instead of a $150 update that includes both and takes a year, you get $200 worth of updates every 6 months. The alternative of course, is to just give it away a la 2.5. But giving your product away for free all the time is a very poor business model.

* Disclaimer : I don't work for/with/at the Prop's, nor do I speak for them. *

ictustwin 2006-04-13 09:29

Re: A few words in their defense...

: * Disclaimer : I don't work for/with/at the Prop's, nor do I speak for them. *
:
: The Props may not be saying anything about pending deivces/features for a couple resaons.
:
: 1) They 'could' be working on something no one else in the industry has done yet. If they blurt it out in the forums, then they lose their edge over the competition (i.e. the competition could start work on their own version of the widget).
:
: 2a) By not announcing release dates way in advance, they avoid the Microsoft Shuffle. The MS Shuffle means releasing software that kinda works to meet a deadline, then *having* to patch the crap out of it to get it to work properly.
:
: 2b) Also, by not announcing release dates early, they get people to buy the old version + update. For instance, when I bought 1.0 I was one week shy of the free 2.0 upgrade. This means I had to get Reason1.0 + upgrade, which costs more money than just R2.0, which means more revenue for them. Just like Honda isn't going to give you an '06 Civic just because you bought an '05 and like the '06 better.
:
: As for what requested features have been implemented:
:
: 1) M-Class EQ. I remember seeing many requests for a mastering/more pro/more flexible/etc EQ a long time ago.
:
: 2a) M-Class Comp. Many were the requests for a better/more flexible/more pro/etc comp than the Comp-01.
:
: 2b) Ducker (MC Comp). I requested this one myself, but I was far from the only one asking for it.
:
: 3) RV-7000. Many people have, and still do, ask for more powerful and flexible FX devices (from R1.0).
:
: 4) NN-XT. I remember people asking for a more powerful and flexible sampler (from R1.0). Another one I asked for, as well as many others.
:
: 5) Scream-4. Yes, another item that I and many other asked for to replace the origianal distortion box. I never liked that thing. I've only used it twice. The Scream on the other hand gets used like a mo fo.
:
: 6) Combinator. The sweet, sweet Combi. This answered several major requests. I remember lots of people (me included) asking for a way that they could group selected devices into their own seperate and collapsable window mainly for neatness' sake. People used to ask for a synth with more than 2 Osc's.
:
: 7) The new browser was something that was asked for awhile back.
:
: Remember, the Prop's are a business. They have lots of things to balance in order to make us happy enough to buy their products and still make them enough money to stay afloat financially. They have to create a marketing plan, product packaging, CD/DVD printing, prodcut delivery, etc. every time they release an update or full version. All that stuff costs money.
:
: As an example, lets say the Props decided to release the M-Class suite seperately from the Combinator in order to achieve more frquent updates. In order to pay for the stuff listed above, they would have to charge about $100 for each seperate upate. So, instead of a $150 update that includes both and takes a year, you get $200 worth of updates every 6 months. The alternative of course, is to just give it away a la 2.5. But giving your product away for free all the time is a very poor business model.
:
: * Disclaimer : I don't work for/with/at the Prop's, nor do I speak for them. *

There will ALWAYS be competition - just start watching out for other software having their own versions of the combinator! What gets people's backs up about the Props is that THEY DONT TELL US 'ANYTHING' about whether or or not they ARE ON with new exciting features - all they have to say is WATCH THIS SPACE and we will be happy. I for one know it's suicidal of the Props if they tell us exactly what they are working on....all we wanna know BY the Props is ARE THEY ACTUALLY DOING ANYTHING??????

And it's good to know that the suggestions are put to use.

flotzilla 2006-04-14 02:42

[I agree, it would be nice to know]

Phyle 2006-04-14 14:57

about your point (2a) : you mean a bit like what happened with Reason 3.0 and ReBirth 2.0 ? (was fixed with Reason 3.0.4 & ReBirth 2.0.1)

LOL ;)

flotzilla 2006-04-15 03:20

[D'OH!!]

LOL!

mrMRKelly 2006-04-21 11:59

: 1) They 'could' be working on something no one else in the industry has done yet. If they blurt it out in the forums, then they lose their edge over the competition (i.e. the competition could start work on their own version of the widget).
:

Sorry to disagree but,.....

It seems to me that it is the Propellerheads who are chasing technology!

Perhaps they are the one's who are behind in the industry, possibly waiting for some other company to invent something new!