Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Orchestral Track - Feedback Requested (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=90659)

kimj 2006-06-04 14:07

New Orchestral Track - Feedback Requested

This is my first attempt at an orchestral track and I would really appreciate some feedback! All comments welcome.

Cheers,

Wil

P.S. Track available in song archive or on SoundClick via link.
My Music on SoundClick

MIDISwede 2006-06-04 22:40

Nice tune!

http://hometown.aol.com/DEADPSALM/pc gray excav 001.jpg
: Nice piece Wil! It has a lot of potential to be a much longer track. It builds perfectly and is well structured. On my inexpensive monitors the mix is a bit heavy on the high end. The lows and drums don't give the depth needed to bring this to a new level. Keep in mind that I am in no way an expert on orchestral tracks! :D

Rob:)
My noize here.

ra500 2006-06-05 06:10

Re: New Orchestral Track - Feedback Requested

Enjoyed the piece very much. Great attempt.
Click to here to hear my work

kimj 2006-06-05 18:49

Re: Nice tune!

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep in my mind your comments about depth and length.

Cheers mate!

Wil

skymuse 2006-06-09 19:28

Good use of timpani and cymbals, also the violin runs were nice. Piano is a touch "middy" for my taste but that is strictly personal.

Overall: Very nice -- I have a few constructive things for you if that is okay.

Reverb on the snare is waaay too much; in fact, orchestral music is characterized by all the instruments being in the same space. Get rid of that big reverb and apply a TINY bit to the whole mix -- think big room and not too boomy or echoey with a tiny slapback and some predelay. Even if the idea is more new age than classical, you are using classical sounds and there is a natural expectation of that sound to some degree in order for the effect to work.

Overall it is a little muddy in the mid-lows; EQ as well as the next suggestion will help with that.

Like all of us piano players, the left hand is the enemy in doing recording -- the chord structure in the viola/cello range is a little blocky and speaks more to someone's left hand on a keyboard than to emulating real string players. Try making these chords into moving lines or arpeggios; at the very least space them out to open structure as opposed to closed. Perhaps a bassoon/clarinet combo to establish the chords might break up the harmonic mush a bit. That would free your strings up to be more lyrical and contrapuntal.

Chordal variation is important in orchestral/classical -- try varying the vi-IV-V pattern with some ii(6) or other inversions. A modulation wouldn't hurt either. Breaking up the pattern will lessen monotony.

Perhaps adding some more woodwind parts? There is nothing like dueling flutes, clarinets, and oboes. These can work in concert with or contrast to established string lines.

Please don't take these as harsh or mean -- you have a nice track that could really sound great with some tweaks.

Thanks for sharing your music.

skymuse 2006-06-09 19:58

Good use of timpani and cymbals, also the violin runs were nice. Piano is a touch "middy" for my taste but that is strictly personal.

Overall: Very nice -- I have a few constructive things for you if that is okay.

Reverb on the snare is waaay too much; in fact, orchestral music is characterized by all the instruments being in the same space. Get rid of that big reverb and apply a TINY bit to the whole mix -- think big room and not too boomy or echoey with a tiny slapback and some predelay. Even if the idea is more new age than classical, you are using classical sounds and there is a natural expectation of that sound to some degree in order for the effect to work.

Overall it is a little muddy in the mid-lows; EQ as well as the next suggestion will help with that.

Like all of us piano players, the left hand is the enemy in doing recording -- the chord structure in the viola/cello range is a little blocky and speaks more to someone's left hand on a keyboard than to emulating real string players. Try making these chords into moving lines or arpeggios; at the very least space them out to open structure as opposed to closed. Perhaps a bassoon/clarinet combo to establish the chords might break up the harmonic mush a bit. That would free your strings up to be more lyrical and contrapuntal.

Chordal variation is important in orchestral/classical -- try varying the vi-IV-V pattern with some ii(6) or other inversions. A modulation wouldn't hurt either. Breaking up the pattern will lessen monotony.

Perhaps adding some more woodwind parts? There is nothing like dueling flutes, clarinets, and oboes. These can work in concert with or contrast to established string lines.

Please don't take these as harsh or mean -- you have a nice track that could really sound great with some tweaks.

Thanks for sharing your music.

omnyc 2006-06-10 01:41

cool track! i like it... IMO it needs is longer the song has a great build then ends way to early...and it sounds a bit muddy at the end. this song has wonderful potential keep at it.

peace
mike
click hear my music

kimj 2006-06-11 16:31

Cheers Mate!

: Thank you for being honest. Your comments are exactly the sort I need; I'm kind of teaching myself here!

Thanks again matey,

Wil

kimj 2006-06-11 16:31

Cheers Mate!

: Thank you for being honest. Your comments are exactly the sort I need; I'm kind of teaching myself here!

Thanks again matey,

Wil