Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   sequencer track view: (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=90956)

lofi1990 2006-06-20 19:09

sequencer track view:

it would be very helpfull if you could view more than one keyboard roll/track at a time:

example: being able to view the your bass track and your drum track at the same time. the reason that could be extremely usefull is you could copy paste note info without switching screens, and sometimes just seeing other tracks is a great reference for the current track you are working on.

another option would be the ability to have several sequencer windows open at once. just go to "new sequencer window", and it would come up as exact copy, any changes would correspond to all the other sequencer windows, but you could change the view and tile the sequencers how ever you like :)

josb 2006-06-22 05:43

Seconded...

but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Props will do as they do.

Jos

lofi1990 2006-06-22 14:36

Re: Seconded...

: but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Props will do as they do.
:
: Jos

oh yeah, i forgot to tell you, this is the FEATURE SUGGESTION page...

;)

lofi1990 2006-06-22 21:12

: : but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Props will do as they do.
: :
: : Jos
:
: oh yeah, i forgot to tell you, this is the FEATURE SUGGESTION page...
:
: ;)

i missread your post and i was offended.

sorry about the misunderstanding.

arothman 2006-06-28 23:09

thirdeded

it'd also be helpful in situations where I'm trying to line up beats in three or four different lines... having to mentally note the measure line and then match up sort of bites.
[url=http://www.arothman.com/reason]

gwmatt 2006-06-29 16:44

A crummy but workable solution

: I agree, this is something Reason badly needs. I've only been using Reason for a few months, and this is the single biggest weakness I've run into.

I don't know if anyone else has tried working around this problem, but here's the (admittedly ugly) solution I've come up with.

It involves using an Image capture/view utility that is capable of capturing (and optionally cropping and saving) an image from an active window. The program I use to do this is a freeware utility called IrfanView. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.techspot.com/download299.html

Unfortunately this program is Windows only. I assume that similar programs are available for the Mac environment.

Anyway, here's what I do when I need to refer to one or more tracks while editing notes in another track.

1) Separate the sequencer from the rack. The rack will just get in the way of capturing the sequencer track image.

2) Zoom in on a section of a track you want to refer to in another track in the sequencer.

3) Run IrfanView (or similar program), click Options - Capture/Screenshot (or simply press the letter "C").

4) This brings up the "Capture Setup" dialog. Under "Capture area", choose either "Foreground window" or "Foreground window - Client area". Under "Capture options", uncheck "Include mouse cursor". Under "Saving method", choose "Show captured image in viewer". Also take note of the hot key under "Capture method". By default it's Ctrl + F11, but it can be changed to another key if desired. When finished, click "Start" (or simply press the Enter key).

5) IrfanView "disappears" at this point. It's waiting for you to go to the window you want to capture and use its hot key. So go back to the sequencer track window you want to capture and press IrfanView's capture hot key (Ctrl + F11). This captures a picture of the sequencer window inside IrfanView.

6) Now go to the track you want to edit in the sequencer. If your monitor is big enough, you should be able to position the sequencer window and the IrfanView window so that you can see both. Now you can refer to the track you captured the image of while editing another track.

Admittedly this technique is clumsy, but with a little patience it does work. As far as I know, it's the best we can do until a multi track view or new sequencer window feature is added to Reason (if ever). I use this technique frequently, and while I don't like it, it does work.

I don't know how other people do things, but for my workflow it is essential to be able to refer to one track while penciling in notes on another. I hope the Props will consider adding this feature someday.

josb 2006-07-01 21:52

: : : but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Props will do as they do.
: : :
: : : Jos
: : oh yeah, i forgot to tell you, this is the FEATURE SUGGESTION page...
: : ;)
:
: i missread your post and i was offended.
:
: sorry about the misunderstanding.

No problem.

Jos

patekswiss 2006-07-10 13:03

Re: thirdeded

: it'd also be helpful in situations where I'm trying to line up beats in three or four different lines... having to mentally note the measure line and then match up sort of bites.

Yeah, this could really be helpful in so many situations!

Another application: if you want to generate realistic classical phrases (e.g. cello), often times sustained notes absolutely need a cresc/decresc that be simulated quite realistically by automating the faders the Remix. (I realize there are other ways to skin this cat, including by using your midi controller to make the NN-XT do it, or using the sampler's own output control, but in various applications I've found the Remix approach to work best). For this kind of thing, it would be great to be able to align and visualize the midi note data together with the relevant control track for the Remix.

lofi1990 2006-07-10 20:14

Re: A crummy but workable solution

yuck!

lol!

that's very insightfull, yet not at all what i would ever want to do ;)

it would be helpfull if there were alternate views of the sequencer tracks, like being able to enlarge certain specific ones, and shrink down others...

it would be great! trust me props!

you could have some sequencer tracks that are just automation, appear in what ever size you want, and have a keyboard roll underneath - or have the entire alt view on a track show (like when you switch from main to track view)... basically it's the exact same thing we got now, but you could view more than one at a time, it would make the process much quicker, and i think many people would be much more productive, being able to reference other tracks at a glance.

gwmatt 2006-07-13 16:48

But... is there any alternative?

: Obviously the best alternative would be for the Props to add a multi-track view to the sequencer.

But until they do, is there any better way to do this? I know the method I proposed sucks out loud. But can you (or anyone else who may read this) think of any better way to do it using Reason 3.0?

I'd love to find a better way, because the way I work and the style of music I'm trying to put together (jazzy Jade Warrior style progrock) depends heavily on the ability to reference other tracks while penciling in notes. That's the only way I can be sure the song stays in proper harmony and synch.

I haven't used any of the other sequencers out there (Live, Cubase, Sonar, etc). Can any of them do this?

I have to admit, while I'm still new at Reason, this is the one feature that I find most lacking. I love the sounds I can coax out of Reason, and I love the general ease of use. I also love the fact that it's well documented, plus there are lots of 3rd party books available. Even better, there's folks like you guys on this forum who are kind enough (and knowledgeable enough) to help out us poor noobs whenever we get our butts in a sling.

But as much as I like Reason, I am going to have to consider using a different sequencer if this feature isn't included in the next version. For me, it's a "must have". I'd pay for an upgrade if that was the only feature they added.