Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Inspiration... (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=91600)

mccauld 2006-07-22 05:02

Inspiration...

Hi guys,

I've been with Reason since it first came out.I'm not a proper musician as such, but i know how to program drum rhythms, play chords and match up instrument loops and sounds by key, and generally work things out by ear. I like making funky stuff, mainly housey, breakbeat, electro sounding grooves, etc. I have always loved playing around in Reason, discovering new ways of doing things, and new ways to use the various modules. I've made loops, and even completed a few tracks which weren't bad.Reason was always my way of switching off from the world..just getting lost in music making and having fun... Now however, my problem is that lately I'm lacking the drive, motivation or inspiration to really develop new tracks or ideas. It's like I'm bored, or need a 'reason' to do it in the first place.. That feeling of exitement is not there any more and I can't find the inspiration to do what I used to love doing.What's wrong with me? Help!

nix808 2006-07-22 17:56

Re: Inspiration...

;)Hey darren06,
I wish I had something more inspirational than tech, but there is always new gear available. New sounds may arise if you change your kit a little. Are you interested in playing a keyboard or other instrument at all? The only other thing I can think of is working with other producers/sound crafters. Settling in with a mugga cuppa or beer with a like minded type sorta gets me back in the groove. I hope you find your muse,
Nix

danny_f 2006-07-22 18:08

Look to the secrets of nature and use them for your benefit.

Cheers.

KineticG 2006-07-22 18:40

there's nothing wrong with you. we have all gone through this for some period of time. I had to take a 4 month break at one point and even when I started writing again I wasnt completely interrested. There are too many factors involved here. I would do as the others have suggested, either get a new piece of software/equipment or maybe find someone in your area that might want to work on a project or two. Bouncing ideas off of someone else has helped me out multiple times.

Don't worry bro.....it'll come back to you.

Cheers

mccauld 2006-07-23 22:45

Thanks guys..sometimes it's good to know I'm not alone in this

danny_f 2006-07-23 23:36

No problem. Another good thing about this so called 'low' period is that perhaps its time to get more technical, get to learn your software inside and out. You know, its only by the down times that you even know what you up times are and how to recognize them.

So heck, use these 'low times' to learn something more about production... if there's no creativity then just work on creating Combinator FX units that you can use in your music later when you are into it. Or whatever, I think you see what I'm getting at here....

craigv53 2006-07-24 04:01

http://dacodersoftware.com/Images/DevilsSeal.jpg
: No problem. Another good thing about this so called 'low' period is that perhaps its time to get more technical, get to learn your software inside and out. You know, its only by the down times that you even know what you up times are and how to recognize them.
:
: So heck, use these 'low times' to learn something more about production... if there's no creativity then just work on creating Combinator FX units that you can use in your music later when you are into it. Or whatever, I think you see what I'm getting at here....
:
:

And to expand on this: More than once when I've been fooling around with a new fx or patch, just noodling away, when suddenly it has inspired the basis for a new tune. So just play around and explore things. Who knows what you might come up with!

- Craig
My music

jzeigler 2006-07-24 18:29

: i agree that anyone that plays music for a while will go through this, remember Miles stopped playing for like 7 years or something. Just like writers get writers block, it can happen to music makers. So think, why are you trying to make music anyway? Is it because it feels good? Do you get tired of other people's music and you feel you have a vision? Getting better gear/software can always help, but if you are having doubts about why you are making music, maybe you should take some time to think about why you are doing it. I can tell you something else, this is not to intimidate you, but if you think you are not into making music, dont waste your time playing with it or too much energy on doing it half a$$. Its good to appreciate music, but doing this shit for too long will change you, make you different. You dont want to waste your time struggling with whether or making music is for you. You come to that point and realize that you either want to do something with the power of music, or you are wasting your time doing something half a$$ that wont amount to much more than terrible noise within 3 years. Meanwhile the guy next door is f#!king all the hot sluts in your neighborhood, cuase the tool has never thought about anything valuable in his life other than money and control, and chicks actually dig that as much as they do a SUCCESSFUL artist. No one has EVER heard of an UNSUCCESSFUL artist. Literally. Sobering, but think about it.

reincarnationfish 2006-07-24 20:19

Well, I agree with all of the above that you do get these fallow patches, sometimes for years.

That said, here's another stock plan for "Getting out of the Rut".

Switch genres. Try Trance or Breaks or Drum and Bass if you're feeling a little adventurous. Try Ambience or IDM or Soundtrack music if you're feeling reasonably adventurous. Try Thrash Metal or Country and Western if you're feeling a lot adventurous.

The act of trying to listen and analyse and reproduce something very different is a good technical excercise and hopfully it will help you come up with ideas you can transfer back to what you're used to working on.

OIOI 2006-07-24 21:52

ive not been using it long,certainly not as long as u,
so i cant say 4 certain how ill feel in years to come
jknow wot i mean, i bought reason 4 the simple fact that music plays a big part of my life,so i thought id try my hand at making my own,i know it sounds a bit shallow but 4 me
a great source of inspiration is the old sticky icky, sorry but it works 4 me everytime,and as long as your happy with the way it sounds ya cant go wrong,