Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sample/file Browser slow (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=92630)

benb 2006-09-09 11:46

Sample/file Browser slow

Is anyone else finding the file browser really slow even when accessing smaller directories.
I'm talking about just getting the list of sounds not actually loading them - it's almost unuseable.

I'm wondering If I've got a problem or if everyones is like it, anyone got any tips for improving it.

Thanks

benb

nickster 2006-09-09 13:39

Re: Sample/file Browser slow

: Is anyone else finding the file browser really slow even when accessing smaller directories.
: I'm talking about just getting the list of sounds not actually loading them - it's almost unuseable.
:
: I'm wondering If I've got a problem or if everyones is like it, anyone got any tips for improving it.
:
: Thanks
:
: benb

nickster 2006-09-09 13:49

hi
yes I find the file browser to be sluggish. But it might have something to do with the ammount of data that it has to churn through before hitting the exact samples you are after. I say have 50 + gigs of samples so that may cause a slower loading up time on searches. Also your RAM amounts could have an effect as also could your processing power.
yours N

benb 2006-09-09 14:27

Thanks Nickster,
It's weird because other programs display the contents immediatley like browsing it with windows explorer.
It just seems to be reason - it's anoying but hopefully they'll sort it.
I was just wondering if there was some reason or windows setting I had set up wrong that could be causing the delay.
Thanks for your hel[p
benb

doinky 2006-09-09 17:41

I doubt it's reason from what you say

I have 26gbs of data for reason.

Let's see what I get for your comparison:

1) Time for initial loadup of browser is 8 seconds.

2) Time to load up dorumalia's 4,000 drum sounds in one folder, 1 second.

My computer is a 3.4ghz, with 8ms seek time harddrives and 2mb of memory.

If you don't get these times, then it might be something to do with a background application or your computer specs.

Phyle 2006-09-09 19:08

http://www.phyle.be/phylepics/phyle_head.jpg
Yes, i always found it weird how slow it is....
I even put my ReFills in different folders (old_refills , new_refills, newer_refills) to speed starting up and all up a bit.

While searching in like 5 or 10 Gigs, the search function in Reason doesn't search all anyway.... A few 1000 patches and it beeps and just quits searching...

How come for example the Mac OS has such good indexing function compared to Reason browsing? In Mas OS, it searches any file on your computer INSTANTLY, just as you type!!
Why doesn't Reason have some sort of 'indexing' like this? Also the startup is rediculously slow when you have many Refills....

Yes, the browser should really improve!

Phyle

eric 2006-09-10 01:35

I have no problems at all with the 2.5 browser.. it almost works military..

vorlon

Phyle 2006-09-10 01:41

The search function is only available since v3.0

...and it's slooooooooooooooooooooow!!! :/

eric 2006-09-10 01:45

I knooooooooooooooooooooooooow, I meant the browser in generaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!

;)

AND, there's only one good Reason.. more is most of the times less!

;)2

bhagenbeek 2008-04-20 13:55

: I use Reason 3.04.
I now have a Vista laptop with a 1.86 Ghz celeronprocessor and a 160 GB Harddrive, now it's super slow when opening any browser, while I used to use reason on a XP-laptop with a 1.66 Ghz processor and a 100 GB Harddrive and it never had trouble with opening the browser.
So what do you think, the hardware is better, but I guess it's vista that's slowing the opening of the file- and patchbrowser down.
Don't you think?
I've tried everything. Use readyboost, simulate XP on Reason, rearranging my files into smaller folders.
Nothing helps.
I guess it's vista that sucks.
Does anyone have a golden tip for me? or can it be propellerheads to make a reason 3.05 for vista with a fix for this issue since many people have this issue. In Reason 4 it's not even solved is it?
What can we do, I feel hopeless with my reason on this machine...

Bart

: I knooooooooooooooooooooooooow, I meant the browser in generaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!
:
: ;)
:
: AND, there's only one good Reason.. more is most of the times less!
:
: ;)2