Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Industrial Patches + couple of other questions (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=93933)

tgbuer 2006-11-20 16:18

Industrial Patches + couple of other questions

Hi.

I've been using reason for about a year as a great tool to get the full picture of my music-ideas. I program all instruments but the guitars, in what I guess goes under the genre "symphonic black metal". Every now and then I've had some ideas where I would add some industrial sounds, but I haven't found too many in the factory sound bank. Does anyone know where i can get/buy/download patches for industrial sounds?

As I program my ideas, I also program the drums from scratch. I never use any loops, never use the same fill twice. I used to be a drummer, and enjoy the process, even though it takes some time. However, there isn't too many good sounds in the factory sound bank for "metal-drums", so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll find that in the drumkit-refills, or would it be a waste of money to buy that refill?

I also wonder if anyone who tried the strings-refill can recommend it. As I am making the symphonic parts of my music, I pretty much program the whole orchestra, instrument by instrument. (Yes, it takes forever, especially since I don't have a midi-keyboard or anything like that yet.) I would guess there's quite a lot more and better sounds in the strings-refill compared to the orchestra sound bank...?

Finally, is there any good really heavy guitar sounds out there? I know it's probably not too many others who uses reason for black metal (please prove me wrong...), but it would be great to see the guitar patches reach the same level of quality as the majority of the sounds i've found in reason. And by the way, for anyone who tried to program guitars, any luck in programming riffs that constantly changes between muted and open strings?

Ok, that turned out to be quite a few questions. Hope there are some answers waiting for me.

Thanks.

kage630 2006-11-20 17:53

Re: Industrial Patches + couple of other questions

http://sphex.tentacle.net/kageicon.gif
: I would add some industrial sounds, but I haven't found too many in the factory sound bank. Does anyone know where i can get/buy/download patches for industrial sounds?

check out e-labs xtortion - it's got a really good ministry/prodigy sound going on.

: there isn't too many good sounds in the factory sound bank for "metal-drums", so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll find that in the drumkit-refills, or would it be a waste of money to buy that refill?

if you're looking for traditional metal drums, e.g. in the style of slayer, i would go with reason drum kits - for natural (and natural-sounding) playable drum kits, i don't think it can be beat. plus, the refill comes with a load of midi templates with tight rolls and fills that you can use with any kit - pretty tasty.

: Finally, is there any good really heavy guitar sounds out there?

i think the idea of trying to make blackmetal out of rex loops or whatever is not going to get you anywhere - metal is just too technical a genre to be left to what some other guy decided to record (though you may feel differently). i would recommend a software instrument named 'slayer' by refx - it is really simply amazing. i could tell you about it, but you would think i was full of shit - you should listen to the examples on the site. you could cut some loops with slayer, recycle them and load them into your rex player and you should be rockin like dokken.

peace bro, and let me know how it turns out -
[ s p h 3 x ]

tgbuer 2006-11-20 18:26

Re: Industrial Patches + couple of other questions

: if you're looking for traditional metal drums, e.g. in the style of slayer, i would go with reason drum kits - for natural (and natural-sounding) playable drum kits.

Thanks, I'd say that's what I'm looking for...

: i think the idea of trying to make blackmetal out of rex loops or whatever is not going to get you anywhere.

And I'll say you couldn't be more right. I don't use this for the final recording. Everything I program, except a few synth-sounds, are there only for demo/rehearsal purposes, and will be replaced later with a recording of that instrument (including the orchestra if my dreams come true...) The reason I'd like some good guitar sounds, is just to get a good picture of what the real thing will sound like the day I leave the studio, which is quite some time from now as I'm writing material these days. And since I write alone, I can't play more than one guitar on top of what I program. Would be good to have that second guitar programmed with some sweet sound to it... ;) And, no, i can't record the guitars at this point because of lack of equipment. If I had, say Pro Tools and an M-box, or something similar, this would not be a problem. But you use what you got, right? Can't sit around and wait till I got all the equipment I'd like...

Thanks again, I'll check out e-labs xtortion for the industrial stuff...