Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   It's 2007 and I'm starting from scratch. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=94574)

jerryl 2007-01-03 18:37

It's 2007 and I'm starting from scratch.

I'm starting from scratch and want to take advantage of both the newest tehnology and the devices that best interface with Reason.

I have studio monitors M-Audio BX5a and my kids have an Alesis Multimix 16 firewire. Aside from these, I have not purchased anything and I have a good pc with lots of ram and memory, so esentially I have a clean slate. I have done some research and read many of the threads. What I do want is to make music with equipment that is easy to use, well made and interfaces with Reason without a supreme hassle. So I expect that my first purchase will be a keyboard controler.

Now some people recomend one without a lot of knobs and sliders and others recomend just the opposite. So I'm perplexed. I like the concept of the Axiom controlers with the pads, sliders and knobs, but many of the threads seem to indicate that they are difficult to dial in and not a very clean interface.

So if you were starting from scratch what equipment recomendations would you have?

Thanks in advance!

kuniklo 2007-01-03 20:48

Re: It's 2007 and I'm starting from scratch.

Get a Novation Remote SL39 + a Behringer BCR2000 to control the master mixer. Maybe add a Korg Padkontrol for drums and you're all set.

jerryl 2007-01-03 21:33

That looks great.

Now let's say I don't want to get a divorce, and I'm reluctant to stick up a 7/11. What would you suggest for plan B?

kuniklo 2007-01-03 22:05

: That looks great.
:
: Now let's say I don't want to get a divorce, and I'm reluctant to stick up a 7/11. What would you suggest for plan B?

What's your budget?

adfielding 2007-01-03 22:11

http://www.adamfielding.com/images/adamfielding.jpg
I currently own a MicroKontrol, and love it. But I recently aquired Reason Pianos and am looking at getting a CME UF6 MIDI controller as a result.

From what I've heard the CME UF series is great for playing, though I love my MicroKontrol for programming and auditioning... as well as writing simple bits of song. There's something about having the controls at your fingertips...
www.adamfielding.com

jerryl 2007-01-03 22:38

Well considering I've never done any of this I'd like to be in the $250 range for the controler. Make some music, then add on. But I dont want to buy a piece that will not fit or become obsolete. Or say, wow, if I only spent another $XX I could have gotten this better, cooler unit.

kuniklo 2007-01-03 22:40

: Well considering I've never done any of this I'd like to be in the $250 range for the controler. Make some music, then add on. But I dont want to buy a piece that will not fit or become obsolete. Or say, wow, if I only spent another $XX I could have gotten this better, cooler unit.
:

In that case I'd get an Axiom 49. Not as nice as the Novation, but perfectly adequate as a keyboard and has usable drum pads. The Axiom, Reason, and a computer are all you really *need*.

jerryl 2007-01-03 22:52

Octaves aside is there any dramatic difference between the 49 and 25? I dont play piano, and if I ever do it will most likely be one hand at a time.

jvdh 2007-01-03 23:44

: Octaves aside is there any dramatic difference between the 49 and 25?

hi jerryl,

I've got my Axiom 49 for 3 days now and it's absolutely perfect for reason. The 25 doesn't have the slider the 49 has. Thats pretty much all the difference I think. The knobs do a good job....but I really like the sliders and buttons for the mixer.

My question to you: how do you like thos BX5's?
i'm in the market for some good monitors.

jerryl 2007-01-04 00:18

I guess they're ok but compared to my home stereo. All monitors frankly suck.

If my computer was close to my stereo I would run it through the BelCanto e.one s300iu integrated amp. It replaced my tube amp and pre amp and has a USB port. And is it ever stellar sounding!

So I take my laptop over and plug it in or run the ipod through it.

Re the BX5a's the input is via phone jack so I have to run them through a mixing board to get them to work so it's a hassle.