Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Doubt about buying Reason... (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=94590)

Arriah 2007-01-04 08:41

Doubt about buying Reason...

Hello guys,

I would like to ask a question, that I could not find in the forums. I am about to upgrade my music equipment and with that also to upgrade the software. A friend of mine very much advises me to buy the Propellerheads Reason, though there are a few thing which confuse me...
I have gone through a couple of tutorials to get basic idea of the capabilities of Reason and there are things that are very cleverly made and I like, but also, there are things that I need and I could not find. That is why I am in doubt...

As a live musician I very often improvise playing an instrument with my hands, while the computer programming loops. So far I have been using a custom programmed software that allowed me to play loop after loop but I could not find this capability in Reason documentation:

To be perfectly clear: what I do is prepare a number of loops and then start playing them. Sometimes I need a pre-programmed 4bar group to play infinitely while I improvise and by a click from a MIDI control survace to go on to the next or some other 4 (8 or whatever) bar group and repeat, until again I press a button. So far I have compositions using more than 50 different 4bar groups that need to be played in different order. However from what I have seen from the tutorials and documentation it is only possible to put thing in the Sequencer and play them either in loop mode (i.e. looping certain number of bars) or "streaming" it from end to end. Note that during performance my hands are busy and I cannot control the sequencer manually.

The second thing I very much need, but it is not so crucial - maybe it would be better to buy a hardware module for that - it the "loop station" capability. i.e. I would like to play something realtime and then while the computer is repeating it, I would improvise overdubbing the sounds I have played previously.

I am pretty aware that Ableton Live has both these capabilities, but it is much more expensive and if Reason has those I would rather buy it.

Regards!

Phyle 2007-01-04 13:29

Re: Doubt about buying Reason...

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2...dancinghw1.gif
Sorry, but what you describe and expect from Reason in this post is actually a description of a program called "Ableton Live"

Go for that one.

burps

maxlatency 2007-01-04 15:11

: mate

LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6

cheers
max

: Sorry, but what you describe and expect from Reason in this post is actually a description of a program called "Ableton Live"
:
: Go for that one.
:
: burps

JockDynamite 2007-01-04 15:21

You can do all that ye want in Reason, but the aforementioned will indeed do ye the best service, squire.

sijarvis 2009-02-11 17:44

Forward wind to todays tools.

It's a funny one this one.

I personally don't think Propellerheads are doing themselves any favours sticking to their development guns, with long periods between updates and their adamant stance in regards to not implementing audio, so much so, that it looks as if I shall be selling my Reason license quite soon. (I shall also be getting rid of quite a few NI licenses for that matter) and going the Ableton route, seeing as their next incarnation of Live is quite incredible to say the least.

Reason is great for what it is, namely a "not quite, but almost all-in-one music making package" but the items it lacks can be found in many other packages, with Ableton offering the most innovative answers for making music.

I'm sure R5 will offer some great new additions but if you want audio recording, looping and the possibility of adding your own functions to your set-up and you want it soon, then Propellerheads lose the race by quite a few lengths.

phasys 2009-02-11 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by sijarvis (Post 606852)
It's a funny one this one.

I personally don't think Propellerheads are doing themselves any favours sticking to their development guns, with long periods between updates and their adamant stance in regards to not implementing audio, so much so, that it looks as if I shall be selling my Reason license quite soon.

My god, does your whining EVER stop?

descathach 2009-02-12 00:35

Thing is, it is possible to do what you are describing in Reason. Loops can be assigned to redrum channels, and triggered that way with buttons or keys from a controller by assigning said buttons to the run button and pattern selection buttons, or to an nn-xt and triggered with keys from a controller. That's how I used to play Reason live before rewiring, (to ableton).

What Reason WON'T do is to warp loops so they can be played at different tempos wihour pitch alteration.

Still, it's true that Live is the best at this. That is after all, it's forte.

My suggestion is to check out the demo and experiment a bit to see if it works for you.

phasys 2009-02-12 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by descathach (Post 606917)
What Reason WON'T do is to warp loops so they can be played at different tempos wihour pitch alteration.

Unless you fix your loops in Recycle and put them into a Rex.

descathach 2009-02-12 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by phasys (Post 606919)
Unless you fix your loops in Recycle and put them into a Rex.

Yes. That's true, and it is a cheaper solution, (by about 300 dollars), than getting Ableton to do it, (if you are getting Ableton and Reason together).

moneyMAN1 2009-02-12 03:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by phasys (Post 606863)
My god, does your whining EVER stop?

Now thats funny! Bottom line. If you hate Reason STOP using it. Reason Rocks!