Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My Reason 3 workflow and general thoughts about Reason 4 (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=95347)

Andrew108 2007-02-09 13:33

My Reason 3 workflow and general thoughts about Reason 4

Just thought I would post about how I'm using reason at the moment. I should also say that I'm not really waiting for Reason 4 because I have other software and DAWs that I use that will probably do everything that Reason 4 will do anyway. If Reason 4 has something completely new in it or an improved audio engine I might upgrade.
Anyhow I use logic as my main sequencer and rewire Reason only if I am recording midi. For example I record Reasons drumkits in logic and then edit the midi map in logic to get th edrum sounds that I want.
The redrum loops and rex loops and also some synth parts I record in Reason 3 and save them as .wav files which I then bring into Kontakt 2 within Logic and layer them up as a new instrument. I find that wav files saved in Reason sound really good. Better than files saved in Ableton Live for example.
I use a lot of different combinator refills and my favorite at the moment is the Bitworld wavefront refill which makes really good patches when loaded as a layer in Kontakt 2.
I mix a lot of Reason 3 with other software I have - so I'll take a spectrasonics drum loop and add a bit of reason drumkit refill. Or take a redrum loop and mangle it with a u-he filter.
So basically I blend a lot of the reason instruments with my other instruments in logic. For live performances I use Ableton although I don't really like using it as my main DAW.
Here is a list of my stuff:
Reason 3 - don't need reason 4 unless something really new comes along- although would like a new recycle.
Logic Pro 7.2.3 - great synths like sculpture and love the drum machine (better in m any ways than redrum) but different sounding somehow.
Zebra 2 - amazing synth by U-He - best sounding software synth equal to sculpture in sound quality but obviously a different type of synth. I doubt the new Thor from Props will be as good but lets hope.
Kontakt 2 - just great for layering sounds - didn't need to by spectrasonics' atmosphere synth because Kontakt 2 is better and more versatile.
Spectrasonics Stylus RMX - nice tool to use and this is how Props should be doing their Dr Rex. Basically Stylus contains drum loops that are midi mapped so that you can lay down the drum loop with the midi data and change everything about the loop. There's much more to it than this and STYLUS plays REX files too - so if you have Recycle you can rexify your loops and put them into Stylus RMX. But for ease of use Stylus gets good marks.
The included instruments within logic are really good and the DSP plugins are o.k in Logic, but I prefer to use a combination of LiquidMix and UAD plug-ins.
That's about it.
My thoughts are that if you use only one program to make music then you should use Reason 3 and hope that Reason 4 is a good upgrade.
If you use more than one program to make music then Reason 3 is still a great tool (great instrument), but you won't be too excited by Reason 4 unless it has something totally new that your other instruments don't have.
This is the big development challange for Propellerhead. How do they interest the users who daily use innovative software? The Props are no longer the most innovative software developers around - and that's no disrespect to them. But should they upgrade Reason 3 to 4 just to play catch-up with other software?
I'm happy enough right now with what I have for making music - to improve reason 3 for people who only use Reason shouldn't be too difficult but to excite musicians who use U-He or NI or Spectrasonics' products is a little more difficult.
I have the feeling that for the next couple of years innovation in music production software will plateau out because we have everything we need in the software realm already. Perhaps the Props should start developing hardware products? Yeah I don't know - but anyhows i'm a happy Reason 3 customer / user - can't see Reason 4 being anything revolutionary though so don't get your hopes up people - there's a lot of great music making software out there already.
Regards,
Andrew

steveross 2007-02-09 23:09

Re: My Reason 3 workflow and general thoughts about Reason 4

i hope the next update is 3.5 & not 4.

but allot of ppl seem to think that the next one is going to be 4...

i dunno.

we still use 2.5 on on of our older macs.
software never really gets dated as long as it still gets used.

2007-02-10 03:01

: i hope the next update is 3.5 & not 4.

Why would you hope for this? It's almost as bad as wishing death upon someone. You should realize that a .5 upgrade will contain far less improvements than a full version upgrade. After all this time I can't see why anyone would hope for a partial upgrade and if you look at the time between releases you'll see that a full version upgrade is long overdue.

All that aside, I don't expect to see the next version of Reason until either late this year or early next year.

steveross 2007-02-10 07:32

"Why would you hope for this?"

because its free & i dont mind to much about the time it takes for another program revision.

i agree with you though, a full version upgrade would have much more than a .5

at this point in time with electronic music technology not much is going to change, or be mind blowing. that being said, i still get blown away everyday by the abilities of Reason & other software synth "ish" programs.

Andrew108 2007-02-10 09:52

I guess my point is that I don't really need Reason 4 because I use Reason 3 with other software. This means that in order for me to be excited by Reason 4 it would have to do something completely new. All I can see the props being able to do is to make it catch up with other software and if you already have that software there is no real interest in Reason 4.
IF Reason 3 is your only program and you are looking for an improvement then Reason 4 will be great.
Let's see:
Ableton Live - timestreching; audio input; good instrument bundle; playing live etc etc. So if Reason 4 has these then great - but I have Ableton Live already.
NI - Absynth; Massive; Kontakt 2; Guitar 2; better piano than Reason 3; Battery drums better than redrum plus drums refill etc etc. Reason 3 is way behind NI in terms of quality of synths and implementation of samples. If Reason 4 got better synths and drum machine then it would be getting closer to NI.
Logic - just loads of things better - actually if you are going to buy just one DAW get Logic - it has mostly everything you need and very high quality.
Other synths - U-He Zebra 2 plus filter bank - just blow me away with the quality - as close to an Access Virus that is possible in software.
UAD - fantastic dps plugins - Reason 4 would have to seriously improve the mastering part of itself to compete.

O.k so all of this other software cost a LOT of money. I've saved up and spent the money becasue I'm serious about making music. BUT if you don't have the money and can't afford Logic Pro (which has everything you need to make great music) then Reason 3 is great value and Reason 4 will be great too.
Reason 3 interested a lot of people when it came out and the combinator was really great and actually that is why I continue using Reason 3. If it wasn't for the combinator and massive support base I would have dropped Reason 3. Because of the combinator and support group it is still possible to get new and great sounding synth parts plus other things.
Reason 4? What would it have to have to excite me? It would have to have..........I don't know. I really can't think of anything else that I need. THAT is the point....I can't see Reason 4 bringing anything new.
SO I think Reason 4 will be an educational tool. A cheap instrument that beginners can get into and get great sounds from. I think that experienced users will continue with it for the combinator feature alone but as innovative software I think it's days are past. Kore by NI is a combinator and has a harware control device. Ableton live has instrument racks which act as a combinator. BUT Reason has a great user support base. And new sounds come from it.
If I were the Props what would I choose to develop?
I would get into hardware development to please the experienced users. Also continue to develop Reason as an educational tool and then also in parallel with the hardware development I would develop some new of-the-wall software that takes everyone by suprise.
Regards,
Andrew

2007-02-10 23:01

: because its free

HAHA! I think that the first .5 update being free was just a one time thing. I don't beleive that any other upgrades, .5 or otherwise would be free. Many people said that the .5 upgrade contained things that they wanted to place in the 2.0 upgrade but didn't have time to. It appears that with the time it's taking for this next upgrade, it will infact be a full version upgrade and unfortuantely will not be free.

: i dont mind to much about the time it takes for another program revision.

The time does not really bother me as much as what the next version will actually contain. If it takes a long time but they implement many of the suggestions that I and others have posted, I will be satisfied.

steveross 2007-02-12 06:15

""Many people said that the .5 upgrade contained things that they wanted to place in the 2.0 upgrade but didn't have time to. It appears that with the time it's taking for this next upgrade, it will infact be a full version upgrade and unfortuantely will not be free.""

Agreed, considering the time, that might be the way it turns out.

However, Propellerhead software has a very thoughtful mind set for Reason & its updates/upgrades.

(unlike other music software)

And I think they might want the user base to know that every .5 update brings new instruments and every new full upgrade (3 to 4 etc) brings new work flow & user tools.

I will not be suprised if it is in fact Reason 3.5 or 4.

Anyway way I look at it I am going to get a new version of Reason in the near future & I have a ton of cash after not spending it on Native Instruments!

Marando 2007-02-12 10:17

Think about this...

:... All that aside, I don't expect to see the next version of Reason until either late this year or early next year.

The next version of Reason will be announced before or at the Summer NAMM 2007. ( I think it would be strange for the props to do a tech preview of something we all have to wait for another year!!)

And think of it, Thor whas up and running in October 2006, since some of the presets James used at Winter NAMM 2007 where made back then! Props already have 3th party developers working on the presets for Thor... (Peff, Flatpack) So... It will not be long! I think it will be Musikmesse in March.. at least they will go in to more detail.. they have to! ;-)