View Single Post
Old 2012-03-14, 00:26

Creating the Classic Reverse Reverb Effect in Reason

OK, first of all, I know there are already many tutorials available on this subject, but I haven't seen any as simple as this and with a workflow as similar to analog tape. My process doesn't require exporting and re-importing any audio, and because of this it doesn't require any re-alignment of the effect after it's imported. It also allows you to quickly try different settings on the reverb/delay to see how they sound in context.

I've been meaning to create this tutorial since Reason 6.0 came out, and just assumed that others were already doing it this way. But each new tutorial I've seen still doesn't make it as simple as it could be, IMO. In the end, the results are exactly the same, so consider this as just one approach among many for you to try and see how it works for you!

Since I originally learned how to create this effect using analog tape, I naturally wanted a solution that resembled that process as closely as possible. I hope I've succeeded. On to the tutorial…

There are basically only three steps to create this classic effect, whether you're using analog tape or using Reason.

1) reverse the source audio (flip the tape backwards)
2) record reverb/delay to new tracks
3) reverse the recorded reverb/delay track (flip the tape back forwards).

The result is that ONLY the reverb/delay is backwards, and it lines up perfectly with the original audio (as with tape).
Here's a video that demonstrates the process using Reason 6.0.

USA

Last edited by selig; 2012-03-14 at 03:32.