Thread: Guitar Desert
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-19, 23:50

Guitar Desert

Okay, as a guitarist, admittedly, I am incapable of expressing a balanced view here, however, despite Reason's almost infinite control and general ease of use, when it comes to setting up a broad range of challenging guitar sounds from scratch, it requires an epic investment of time.

Now I know that us guitarists are notoriously picky about getting just the right sound, however, we are also just as committed to instant gratification. Attention span is not our thing and we just want to get down to ripping out some great chops, with a great sound as quickly as possible.

Reason is not the easiest beast to play with for this purpose and I have to admit that something as fairly basic as Fender Fuse is infinitely superior for guitarists to play around with insofar as basic guitar sound creation is concerned.

So what about a rack component that allows guitarists to add stomp pedals and modulation units as part of the creation process. Really stomp pedals and modulation units are familiar to guitarists so it makes sense for us plucky pickers to fiddle with a GUI that looks like a stomp box. It would also be nice to be able to choose the signal path of the setup, so for example I could change the order that the signal is processed by just dragging the stomp box to a different place in the line.

The devices in Reason are great, but are less accessible (though perhaps more configurible) than a variety of different overdrive, fuzz, wah-wah,chorus pedals, ring modulators and the like. I am talking unashamedly from the biased viewpoint of a guiarist here and I do appreciate that the Reason devices were created for a broader spectrum of musicians.

These days, I find that when recording with reason, I am more likely to mic-up my own amplifier where I can achieve just the right sound that I am looking for, rather than use Reason's tool set (other than for post processing and mastering).

This is a bit frustrating particularly as I often would like to record late at night, but cannot fire up the amplifier after 10pm. It would have been nice just to plug into balance and achieve the same range of sounds (effortlessly) in reason so that I could record and develop ideas late into the night without disturbing anyone.

So what about it guys, can us guitarists have a rack component just for us?