View Single Post
Old 2012-08-20, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
You will still have peaks and nulls ( as well as early reflections) with nearfields (depending on how large the room is). The room response graph I first posted in this post shows just that, I ran the sine sweep testing nearfields (did you check out the graph I posted?). I took the measurements at the "sweet spot" by the way not in the corner. You need bass traps and broadband absorbers to help even out your room response. If you have a 30db null at your sweet spot anywhere from baas range your going to have a tough job getting your bass levels to translate outside of your studio. Do your mixes sound great in your studio and them whenever you listen to that mix outside of your studio the bass (or anywhere else)sounds too overpowering or too thin? That is due to standing waves.

Also early reflections with make things sounds different also..."When the path length difference is greater than 22 feet then the two sounds arrive at 20 milliseconds or more apart in time. When two sounds are at least this far apart in time [20 ms], then the brain interprets them clearly as two distinct sounds."- http://www.readyacoustics.com/early-...html?chapter=0
Also worth noting that delays of less than that (20 ms) create comb filtering to some degree when reflected back to the mix position. Console or desk surfaces between you and the speakers are the most common culprits here, and the comb filtering effect changes with even small movements of your head (or your test microphone). :-)
USA