View Single Post
Old 2012-09-03, 20:43

Post new pc or mac computer for pops

Dear Propellerhead Forums,

My dad and I are both Reason 6.5 owners and we have been using 7 year old AMD based Windows PC's. I just finally took the plunge and bought myself a new Asus N53SM i7 laptop with 16 GB of 1600 MHz RAM. With the added ram, tax, and shipping, I spent about $1000. After turning the Windows UI down a bit it is running Reason without a hiccup, burp, or blink. Basically flawless.

Dad has been hitting me up for advice on what to buy. As a fan of both PC's and Mac's I visited the Apple website to customize a laptop with the same basic specs as the Asus I just bought. With an i7 processor and 16GB RAM, the Mac laptop came out to $2399. Since budget is an issue, I am just about ready to recommend my dad buy a Windows 7 based laptop.

I am just assuming that Reason 6.5 will do best with the extra RAM and CPU speed. My question for you people here in the forums is regarding whether or not the basic Mac laptops are sufficient. While I would like to recommend my dad switch to Mac, I fear his budget just will not allow him to buy a Mac that would be adequate for Reason.

I need help understanding what bottlenecks he might hit on a modern, yet basic-configured Mac. I need to draw upon others' experience with this to help understand which computer to suggest for him. His workflow is very old-school with emphasis on multiple audio tracks in the full-fledged DAW tradition.

Example: would he be better off with an i7 16GB Win 7 laptop, or i5 Mac with 8 GB or less of RAM?

Thank you,
damienplus

Last edited by damienplus; 2012-09-03 at 20:56.