View Single Post
Old 2012-09-10, 15:20

Exclamation General MIDI rack module (Sound Canvas, e.g.)

This was just suggested by JpPropellaed in a discussion in the User Forum about the ID8.

Almost all of my work begins as Standard Midi Files (SMF) in another program which I then import into Reason. With Reason 3 I had to assign instruments and select patches for each track before I could hear it; tedious, if all I want to do is hear a track quickly. Eventually everything will be revoiced, but it would be great to hear my imported file immediately.

With Reason 6 if I import an SMF each track is assigned an ID8 instrument. So far, so good. I understand that the ID8 was created for for just this purpose for Record owners who did not own Reason. But the choice of instruments in ID8 is limited. I don't have a problem with the quality of the voices in ID8, I just wish there were more of them.

Since the files I import are from a General MIDI (GM) soundset, it would be very nice if there was a corresponding GM device in the Reason Rack. This is particularly true for drums, as I never found a kit in Reason that didn't take extensive MIDI editing to be usable. (I searched for years before I found a true GM-compatible drum kit, the PinkNoise SC-55 Refill.) Maybe the ID8 already does that; I haven't tried it yet. But that leaves the other 127 slots in the GM soundset to fill.

I realize that the way I work is somewhat specialized. But maybe other users have their own GM needs. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Richard
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA

Last edited by ryszard; 2012-09-10 at 15:25. Reason: Correct attribution