View Single Post
Old 2012-11-15, 07:56

Lightbulb Dealing with faulty gear live

Ok. So I understand the OP's concern. Getting up on stage to perform when you know your equipment could stop working without warning, can cause great anxiety. Add that to the anxiety some folks have of using a laptop for live... and the general anxiety performers have (especially new performers).

Nobody's here's getting "punished"
Propellerheads are just protecting their revenue stream. They'd been quite lax for a long time. But after investing 6-7 years developing and expanding what we see on our screens now, how could they possibly afford to continue as such?
If you're a new user, you'll be very glad to find out they will take very good care of you should anything go wrong.

Now. On to the issue at hand... Consider this:

Be prepared with a backup plan. Tube amps blow up from time to time, and as frustrating as it is, you just have to deal with it. I know many players who have a junker amp buried in their trunk for such emergencies. Wireless systems can run out of batteries, strings break, cables short out. How many professionals don't keep spares in their cases? Using a laptop and software commands just as much preparedness as any other instrument.

I used to keep a Yamaha CS6r rack in my live rig with a close(ish) copy of all the sounds that came from software. Then, we had an MP3 player with backing track versions of loops & FX. Click on the left for the drummer, and tracks on the right. If there was a disaster... two button pushes away there was a safety net.

Solutions for you:

If you're going to be doing this often, why not consider buying a second copy. Wouldn't a $399 investment in securing your earning potential be worth it? I'm not sure at what professional capacity you're playing at, but even at modest earnings from gigs, you could cover your investment in a few nights of playing out. Yes it adds to the cost of being a musician... but as mentioned above, you too will need to "protect your revenue stream."

Or. Buy a copy of Reason Essentials for $99. Do a basic resampling of your instruments so you can play them from the NNXT. In the event of emergency, you can use a very close approximation of your original sounds... Does your live sound have to be exactly the same as your studio sound?

Virtual Machine. You could launch Reason in a virtual machine (a la VMWare or Parallels), activate Reason via the online meathod, and freeze the state of that virtual machine. Therefore, in the event of disaster, you can instantiate that virtual machine with Reason already loaded and authorized. Not optimal, but it can get you through the gig.

Tether your laptop to your phone, and download the licenses. So what if you have to spend $5 on data roaming? Sometimes you just have to spend money to make money. Sometimes the cab ride is $10, sometimes traffic makes it cost $15. Suck it up.

So bascially, just be prepared... Roll with the punches. Suck it up if something goes wrong.
Worst case scenario, you have to cancel a gig. (It's not like getting sick, poor weather, a double booking, getting in an accident, travel arrangements failure, or the club having an equipment failure can't cancel a gig for you!)