View Single Post
Old 2012-11-16, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
Thanks.

I guess I was assuming that a free or very inexpensive system was on the table when I mentioned "gaming the system" and advocated read-only and was lumping all options under the "rental" term. Because I'm a wordsmith.

I guess I'm against strict "rental" for the sake of temporary use for all your music (indefinite trial extensions so to speak) and more interested in solving the problem of momentary need in a specific collab scenario. I don't like the idea of artists having the possibility of making many songs that use rented RE's because it opens the possibility that someone you are collabing with won't have a particular RE next month or whatever. That's just awkward and complicated. What if a project goes on start-and-stop for months? I'd rather get a license that enables read-only access (with bypass/off/on maybe) for free or a small fee, that would work forever, and is associated with a specific project - or not. I think this is simpler.
Substitute TRIAL for RENTAL in the above and you have exactly the same scenario, I would argue - yet I don't hear you expressing the same concerns about the current trial system:
"I don't like the idea of artists having the possibility of making many songs that use trial'ed REs because it opens the possibility that someone you are collaborating with won't have a particular RE next month or whatever."

How do you feel that a second trial is any different than the first in this respect?

If you're going to seriously collab over a period of months, I would suggest you either print the tracks in the case of a synth, or purchase the REs if they really are an integral part of the collab.

Quote:
If it was readonly, you can see the RE in operation and how it was set up and what it does, but you don't have full access. Maybe this can be the alternative to the cardboard-box system in place, or an "upgrade" to that for a fee, just so you can still export your songs made with trial RE's, and collab.
Understood, but what do you do if the RE in question won't allow "open only" status? Make it mandatory? Would the RE developers really want this method, since it can be partially 'gamed' by including "open only" REs in a commercial ReFill?

Quote:
I guess it's whose life do you want to make simpler, Props, or customers? From the business perspective, yeah, configuring the system for pay-as-you-go trials is easier. But I think that read-only-access-forever is better for customers.
How difficult is it to trial an RE? ;-)

OTOH, setting up an entirely new system that allows an option to create an "open only" RE, and creates a reasonable solution for how to display an RE so you can still see it and it's controls (but not actually do anything with it) isn't going to happen without devoting some fairly substantial resources to solving the issue. And you could argue that if EVERY RE isn't available in this format, then the whole plan falls apart - you STILL need an alternative, and the ReTrial (remember you heard it here first!) approach solves that.

In the final analysis, each approach seems to have it's advantages and disadvantages IMO. But I sure hope the Props are at least working on improving the current system to allow collabs to be easier now that we have REs.

Great discussion, BTW. :-)
USA