View Single Post
Old 2012-11-17, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNET001 View Post
I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro laptop with 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor. I'm running Lion OSX 10.7.5, I have 4 GB RAM, and a 320 GB hard drive. I don't know the speed of the hard drive - probably 5400 or 7200. I'm running Reason 6.5.

My computer just cannot play my songs. They are so effect intensive that half of them give my computer a hard time and it will stop playing the song. I have Reason set to use 95% of computer resources. I have a memory freer program and keep all available memory free that I can. I minimize all synth modules and effect processors that I'm not using.

I'm now using the Yoko Unfiltered Audio rack extension, along with the Softube FET Compressor and Ozone Maximizer. These three have really pushed it over the edge. The only thing that I can do is export the song as a WAV or AIFF and start a new project, and try to edit/master it there.

I'm guessing the hard drive cannot spin fast enough to load the samples on the fly, as well and handle the gobs of effects that I'm using. Some people say upgrading to 8GB RAM from the 4 GB that I have will help. Some say it won't do much. One person said I should get an external solid state HD since it doesn't rely on moving parts. But then I'd have to use USB 2.0 or firewire to connect it - and would that negate the fact that I'm trying to use the faster hard drive?

Finally, if it's my 2.5 core 2 duo processor, would I be best off getting an I5 dual core or quad core Mac Pro? I'd like to not go this route right now because I've been saving for an engagement ring.

Suggestions?
While replacing your old mechanical HDD with an SDD will definitely breath new life into your computer, it won't do diddly squat for CPU intensive stuff. So, ideally - drop $199 on a 256 GB OCZ Vertex or something like that if you want to get another 6 months to a year of life out of your current machine, but really an i7 (or at least an i5) would be better served. Re's tend to burn through the CPU cycles a bit more than stock Reason. The more CPU cores and the higher the clock, the better!