View Single Post
Old 2012-11-28, 01:25

Improv. with Dr. Octo Rex

I'm debating on upgrading to Reason 6, so I'm giving the demo a go and trying each new addition since Reason 4 (my current version). Tonight I'm learning to use the Dr. Octo Rex and after checking out the micro tutorial on youtube and experimenting myself, I feel like I'm missing something.

I'd like to be able to use my keyboard (a wee Korg Nano Key - space is at a premium!) to apply various effects to each loop slice as it plays. For example, I'd like to be able to reverse slices, apply reverb, pitch bend and generally mess up the loops as they play and record these alterations for playback. The New Law's track "The Fifty Year Storm" is a good demonstration of what I think this approach could achieve, here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujJ-hU2kBs

The really interesting stuff starts just after 22 seconds in. You can almost immediately hear the stuttering loop playback and reversed samples.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this, at least no idea how to do it elegantly. I suppose I could record my own drum loops and trigger effects on them with some mutant use of the Combinator, but I'm pretty sure there are far, far nicer ways to do it.

Any help from you fine folk would be greatly appreciated!