View Single Post
Old 2012-12-09, 05:32

Hey Beerski, great job on this piece. My only suggestion is it could use a little more atmosphere, especially considering it's for a thriller. I'm not exactly sure if you mean "horror" thriller? But, based on my preferences, dark is more my cup of tea.

This is not a score per se, just an atmospheric based dubscape, I'm in the middle of working on. If you listen to the intro carefully I used some sfx recordings I took with my iPhone for added ambience.

I used the following:
-crickets at night (with my buddies rambling in the background, which is hardly audible)
-cicadas during the day
-birds chirping
-rainstorm

The above recordings filtered and mixed together creates an alien like atmosphere because you will never hear all these things at the same time in real life.

Also,

-an old mailbox being flicked by my finger

The mail box originally sounded muted, it had a low fundamental frequency and sounded quite dull, but after some creative filtering and reverb, it turned into that great big "china" like cymbal which accented the transitions. You can also hear I used different physical velocity strikes on the "mailbox" for the added "tribal like" percussion behind the main kick/snare/hihats.

This is a very rough work in progress, and was only uploaded to my SC account as a test when I first signed up a month or so ago.

Loading SoundCloud…

I usually don't like showing work that has not been finished yet, but I thought it might be worth while showing you how a little bit of custom sound design can really give you a unique sound that is yours.

Distortion Chain Demo Song
Loading SoundCloud…

Tritone Demo Song
Loading SoundCloud…

AutoTheory Demo Song
Loading SoundCloud…

LittleLFO Demo Song
Loading SoundCloud…

Buffre Song Challenge

https://soundcloud.com/massivesoundcanada

Last edited by sbader; 2012-12-09 at 05:37.