Thread: Vocal Treatment
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 06:25

You gotta take in account the room's acoustics whenever your recording vocals. Find a good room (acousticaly treated would be best) and stear clear of recording vocals in any really small room (or closet). It's even hard to acousticall treat a small room like a closet so your better off recording never recording inside of a closet.
Serial compression is one of the best things you can do to get that in your face vocal. One of the best serial compression combinations is using a FET compressor with a fast attack/release (I usually set mine to the fastest attack and release settings) setting followed by a LA-2A (or the RE RA-2A by cakewalk while using Reason 6.5). The first compressor is used to catch the intial peaks and the second to iron things out even more.
Using a HPF (high pass filter) is another great way to get rid of any low end that isn't needed on the vocals. I usually start with the HPF at around 100Hz and move it up higher until I like it. I also like to HPF any add libs alot higher than the main vocal.
Ducking (side chain compression) any reverb (with the vocal ducking it) that's going to be on the vocal sounds great IMO. That way you only the vocal tails will have any reverb on it. Before I started using this technique the reverb I added on vocals either had too much (drowned it out or sounded to washed in reverb) or it didn't sound like it had enough reverb on it.
Doubling vocal takes are another thing you can do to fatten vocals up. When I double a main verse I focus on getting the first vocal stack how I like it (compression, ect...) and then raise the vocal stack up from no sound until I like how it sits together. As for the chorus I've done up to 6 vocal stacks and have each panned out differently but balanced for each side (L and R).
You could also do some parallel compression to the vocal stack. Have a copy of the vocal track and just smash it with compression and raise the volume till it sits well. I don't really do this to vocals that much any more though as I find serial compression works to my liking.
These are just a few things I could think of not taking into account a good quality mic, good quality mic pre amps or A/D converters. I figured these things were known by everyone so I left that out. I hope this can help you get a good sound from your vocal recordings. Good luck!