View Single Post
Old 2013-01-09, 04:26

Exclamation Bread & Butter Sounds

It's really ironic to me,that a guitar player friend of mine turned me onto reason and yet,Reason always seemed to have been catering to the DJ/rapper/house crowd(considering the vast ocean of loop/beat/techno programs/software available)...versus the modest bread & butter sounds here and there.
I'm fine with this(but to a point),as I would like to see Propellerhead cater to all of the genres equally.
As far as pianos,drums & the odd e.guitar/acoustic stuff goes..well...between Reason's Refills and what e-soundz and Big Fish Audio has available...these areas are fairly covered well.
As for orchestral strings/brass...Propellerhead really falls short(in terms of comprehensive and authentic sounding VST's).
Not too long ago,I bought Sonic Reality's Gold Bundle library,but the bulk of this software is no better than the existing "factory" sounds.
It was still a good buy...but I want VST's that match the quality of my NI Komplete 6 orchestral sounds.
The main issue at hand,is that I am trying to build up a complete & comprehensive Reason 6 library(so as to not be dependent on NI)...which is on my other PC.
The installation of my NI software in my Presonus S1 DAW was a certifiable nightmare & what was worse,is that NI's customer support is the absolute worst in the industry & I will never buy another NI product....not ever.

That being said,I think it is imperative that Propellerhead should stop bombarding Reason users with an unnecessary phalanx of rack effects and begin adding some more usable sample-based sounds,to effectively compete with Native Instruments.

With regard to Propellerhead offering up some new sounds in general...well..programs such as the Korg Polysix and the PX7 is a decent start(although I am not in a rush to buy them as of yet)...as I am not sure they're necessary,considering how versatile Reason's existing synth engines are.
I'm really excited about the new Neo Soul Keys(especially for the price)...but what about the strings deficit?
The only authentic sounding strings that I'm aware of(apart from the f**king urban looped bulls**t),is Big Fish Audio's London Solo Strings...which is phenomenal sounding,but the program only has viola,cello and double-bass sounds.

Based on the horrible reviews of Reason's Refill Strings(as it were),I'm glad I never wasted my money on it....but what about Propellerhead replacing this now defunked program,with a serious upgrade?
In fact,what Propellerhead should do,is come out with a comprehensive orchestral upgrade that covers the entire gamut(strings,brass,choir and such).
I'd be happy if Big Fish Audio filled the void(if they could manage it at a reasonable cost)...because their Voxos: Epic Virtual Choir software for Kontakt 4 is $800.oo!!?