View Single Post
Old 2013-01-23, 19:34

Let me make this as simple as I can

In relative (!) interval music theory, the most basic scale is DO RE MI FA SO LA TI
If you use all the white keys, this is C D E F G A B
So, C = Do, D = Re, F = Mi etc.

(Note that this is a relative scale, so it can be played in any context (note) as long as you have your intervals right)

The tone/semitone distance is: do 1 re 1 mi 1/2 fa 1 so 1 la 1 ti 1/2 do'
That's basically major

If you want minor, you take the "la", and make that your root note.
So in that case, you count like this:

LA TI DO RE MI FA SO
(When using white keys only, that would be A, B, C, D etc)
In which the tonos/semitonos are laid like so: la 1 ti 1/2 do 1 re 1 mi 1/2 fa 1 so 1 la'

So, when you have G minor, following a natural minor, this means that from the note G the intervals over the next 7 tones are like the ones I explained above. Taking the intervals that belong to minor (i.e. 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1 - 1/2 - 1 - 1) you'll get this:

G +1 = A
A +1/2 = Bb
Bb +1 = C
C +1 = D
D +1/2 = Eb
Eb +1 = F
F +1 = G

And that makes the circle of a natural G minor.

Considering the fact that this minor is in G, and that this means that G is the "la" in the harmonic scale, that means that, if you count back, the "do" would be the Bb. That means that if you play a Bb major scale, you'll use the same keys as when you play the G minor scale. The only thing different is the note you keep referring back to - the root note.

Have fun playing around with this. If you know this theory, making music is so much easier and more fun (Speaking from experience)

-Vinnie