View Single Post
Old 2013-03-04, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by therawski View Post
I'm a new user and have been experiencing this problem with exported song sounding much more soft and quiet. I have to turn the volume up really loud to hear my beat in my car (compared to any other song), but in Reason it sounds fine (assuming my speakers are turned up really loud on my computer)

I'd like to learn how to do this, can you show me in more detail somehow?

I'd really appreciate it, Thanks

-rawski
(Reason 6.5)
The only way to compare tracks is to use exactly the same system. Try this - open a new Reason song and disable EVERYTHING (if you're starting with a template). If you don't know how to do this, it's a good time to check the manual! ;-)

Import a commercial mix you like into this totally empty song, and on another track import the mix you exported. Now you are able to compare the two tracks without any variables. Play one track, then play the other - how do they sound now when compared this way?

If loudness is important to you, and it sounds like it is important, watch the Big Meter and compare the Peak vs VU levels of the two tracks. Understanding the different metering modes and psychoacoustics (how we perceive sound) is important to getting clear and loud sounding mixes. Psychoacoustics come into the picture because even with the same exact peak level, two tracks can be perceived as sounding different in loudness to each other.

As a general rule, if you want a loud mix, the process begins with choosing loud sounding instruments/loops/samples etc. Don't expect to get all of your 'loudness' by slapping a limiter on the mix, although it CAN work if your mix is sounding fairly loud to begin with. I find it easier to get loud sounding mixes by doing a little bit of processing at each stage rather than trying to slam the entire mix into submission. Hope this helps. :-)
USA