View Single Post
Old 2013-03-14, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanbackman View Post
Hi and thanks for your feedback!

Just listened to your tracks, indeed very beautiful productions and mixing.
Not sure I understand the "glue on the mix buss" part... Low/high pass filtering I have been using on some channels, but not in a systematic approach. Any tips on where I could find more info regarding EQ techniques? Would you recommend any spectrum analyser?

Thanks again!
Thanks for the listens!

Glue on the mix buss refers to slight compression on the main, or mix, buss. The SSL bus compressor in Reason is perfect for this. In general, have that baby bouncing between 2-4 db in reduction. Some will do a bit more, some a bit less, but the idea is to control the transients so that everything gets "glued together".

As far as EQ, specifically high and low pass filtering, a good general rule of thumb is to start with the high pass while soloing a channel. Dial the frequency up until you notice it doing something, then drop the knob back a bit. Again, this is just a general rule of thumb. Do this to every channel. I don't use low pass on every channel. I do use it to tame hats or cymbals and on also on the bass, depending on what the mix calls for. Sometimes it is useful on a synth part with a bit too much gas on the resonance as well.

Spectrum analyzers are great tools, but I try not to touch them until after I let my ears do all they can on their own. I use them mainly if I am having trouble locating a particularly troublesome frequency in one of the tracks or if I just want to see what I have removed, but I try to let my ears make all the decisions for me.

Of course, this is all just what I do and I am hardly a great engineer. I am sure others have different approaches, but I think this is a good place to start. There are lots of resources on the web. There are some good videos in the Props library and I also like the work of Graham from The Recording Revolution (recordingrevolution.com).

Hope this helps and, if I have misled you anywhere here, I am sure someone else will correct me. There are very few "right" answers, but there are solid approaches and that is what I have tried to outline here.

Michael